• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

3 liter merc on starflite question

Im getting to the point where i am bored with the boat as it is and am looking to repower. i am goin to be runnning 12 inches of setback and was wondering how many people are running 3 liters on their starflites and how well the transoms were holding up. 3 liters make considerable more torque than a 2.4 and a 2.5 and i dont want to be ripping the transom off the boat, i do all my boating on the great south bay and see over a foot of chop regularly. worst case ill repower with a newer efi 2.5. thanks in advance for any help.

Im getting to the point where i am bored with the boat as it is and am looking to repower. i am goin to be runnning 12 inches of setback and was wondering how many people are running 3 liters on their starflites and how well the transoms were holding up. 3 liters make considerable more torque than a 2.4 and a 2.5 and i dont want to be ripping the transom off the boat, i do all my boating on the great south bay and see over a foot of chop regularly. worst case ill repower with a newer efi 2.5. thanks in advance for any help.

As long as your transom isn't rotten you should be fine, I had a 3 liter 225 on this much smaller boat only rated for 120 hp for six years, not even any spider cracks in the jelcoat after doing a barrel role at 78mph, I know you were asking about a starflight but just thought I'd and my .02 cents, I also used mine in lots of chop.

Attachments

• P1010107.jpg
    P1010107.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
IMHO, you have a better chance than not cracking up your transom 12" back 500+ lbs on a Starflight, 1' + chop to boot, without significant reinforcement.

These transoms, unlike a Pulsare, were not desinged to accomodate this setback / weight.

Merc245 can chime in on his transom experiences 12+" back with a 2.5 that probably weighs closer to 375 lbs.

The splashwell is the weak link,no way will it live 12"s back with a 3.0 in 1ft chop. Before I sold mine i readid the splashwell.I essentaily cut the fiberglass out and ran a cut down 2x4 accross it.I then used lag bolts and glassed over it all.If I had kept I know it would have held.Its not the transoms int the splashwell corners.If your transom is solid id reaccomend do this to the splashwell.

IMHO, you have a better chance than not cracking up your transom 12" back 500+ lbs on a Starflight, 1' + chop to boot, without significant reinforcement.

These transoms, unlike a Pulsare, were not desinged to accomodate this setback / weight.

Merc245 can chime in on his transom experiences 12+" back with a 2.5 that probably weighs closer to 375 lbs.

If I had to do over I would fab up so much extra reinforcements even before my first ride.I wouldn't of worried so much about aesthetics and would have worried more about fuction.

Running hard constantly on big water was the start of my transom demise!
Staying sober and keeping everything tight would of helped too!:brickwall:

img163.jpg

This setup looked good but didn't last but a couple of seasons out on lake Erie and the Detroit River!

thanks guys i appreciate the replies. the transom seems to be holding up very well with my 2.4 5 inches off the back. either way 12 inches is a more than double that and i am aware of what might occur due to the extra stress. if i end up buying a 3 liter ill pull the tank and knee the transom , tie into the tringers and into the bottom of the splashwell. i was just curious to see how these boats hold up with bigger power on them. i do run consistently in rough water, but obviously when its that rough im not running the boat balls out. i just finished the start of my winter to do list, cut out the front bulkhead and started removige the drenched foam. damm there is alot of foam up in this boats. thanks again

You are not going to see much of a performance increase with a 3.0 Merc. If you want to wake it up you should go to a 250 or 300 HP.

thanks alot for your input guys, i appreciate it. i may have just purchased a 300 3.0l efi. little mre power than i am looking for but the price seems right so i will see if it happen or not.

Now you're talking. A 200 or 225 3.0 would not have made a big diff. Did you find a 300x? Jrumon saw 87 MPH with a 300x on a Starflite. Let's see a pic.

A 300 would be killer. I would be fine with doing 75 in mine but have killer hole shot. Right now I am giving up top end because I like the feel when I hit the gas. :thumb:

its a 225 with all the 300 bolt on goodies from simon, tuner, 4bbl intake, reeds, computer. i dont need much more than high 70' but with a 300 ill be able to do it and not have to run ball out wide open all the time. i work for a fiberglass shop on the side so ill see what i can do as far as kneeing and strengthening the splash well area. the price is right, even though im reluctant to part with my money so hopefully this will work out and my boat will have a 300 for summer:drool: dont want to count my chicken before they hatch lol

Back