• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

bit of a clusterfcuk in the gauges, help

john lamon

I was just out in the garage having a beer in the mate and thought I'd check out the gauges in the dark. I haven't had this boat out at night yet but I do lots of night time cruising and I know this is going to bother me.

first of all the speedo, water pressure and fuel are turned on with the nav switch, the tach, temp and trim are turned on with the key, I would like them to all come on with the nav switch.

second problem is the speedo and water pressure are green, the fuel white, and the tach, temp and trim are red, the red one's are so dim you can't read them. I'm pretty sure the red one's are original, as you can imagine it looks like chit.

looks like I need new gauges:pissed: I would prefer them all to light up green probably, I will admit I'm not much of a electrician but would assume I can get them all coming on with the nav switch easily enough?

who would sell a gauge kit that would have all of these matching, I'm not looking to blow the farm here, just some average not bad looking gauges will do.

Thanks, John

Attachments

• 09 pics 071.jpg
    09 pics 071.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 09 pics 122.jpg
    09 pics 122.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hey John,

I just bought all new gauges for my project, did a lot of price shopping and found Rex Marine to have nearly the best prices on them, plus they seem to have knowledgable folks that answer the phone. To be honest I don't even know what color light is in the new gauges yet, they're due to arrive on UPS Monday.

It should be an easy matter to have all the gauge lights come on with the nav switch - remove the wires from the terminal for the light on the gauges that are 'wrong' and splice into the light terminal on one of the gauges that's wired to the nav switch.

Hey John,

I just bought all new gauges for my project, did a lot of price shopping and found Rex Marine to have nearly the best prices on them, plus they seem to have knowledgable folks that answer the phone. To be honest I don't even know what color light is in the new gauges yet, they're due to arrive on UPS Monday.

It should be an easy matter to have all the gauge lights come on with the nav switch - remove the wires from the terminal for the light on the gauges that are 'wrong' and splice into the light terminal on one of the gauges that's wired to the nav switch.

Hey thanks, how's your boat coming along? will it be ready for water soon?

went out and took a few better pics of what's there now
John,
I have a couple Livorsi sets in stock for sale cheaper than youy may think, If you would like me to price a set give me a list of what gauges you need.
I know I have a standard speedo mechanical pick up and tach 3-3/8" platinum card with blue mega rim, red back lighting, really nice. I have the other gauges the same color in 2"
Not sure which ones you are looking for, I will make you a great price better than what groundloop paid for Auto meter I sell them too and Rex`doesn't sell Livorsi . he didn't talk to me first. You can shop my gauges online too. http://www.mkhammer.com/store/home.php?cat=2919 But like I said I have a couple sets of the best Livorsi I will make you a smokin deal on
Let me Know

MKHammer

Last edited:
Hey thanks, how's your boat coming along? will it be ready for water soon?

I'm going crazy this weekend 'cause I'm at a standstill. I ordered what should be the rest of what I need to finish (except for carpet), but can't do much of anything 'till the UPS truck arrives. HOPEFULLY I should be done sometime this spring, but somehow everything seems to take longer than expected.

What do you think?

Was just at my mate dealer and he has a complete set of Mercury gauges that was taken out of a new mate that was sold with an e-tec.

I can get all six of them for $270.00 without the bezels or with the bezels $400 as shown in my pics and if I want he will install them in exchange for my old gauges, this seems like a pretty fair deal to me but this is the first price I have got, what do you think?

Attachments

• 09 pics 140.jpg
    09 pics 140.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 09 pics 141.jpg
    09 pics 141.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 23
Was just at my mate dealer and he has a complete set of Mercury gauges that was taken out of a new mate that was sold with an e-tec.

I can get all six of them for $270.00 without the bezels or with the bezels $400 as shown in my pics and if I want he will install them in exchange for my old gauges, this seems like a pretty fair deal to me but this is the first price I have got, what do you think?

John if you can wait -- I had all new merc guages that I got with my boat -- I will be in Pa. within a couple of weeks -- I will send you the guages just pay for the shipping. I have no use for them here is a pic.
Speedo just the guage - tach -- trim -- water pressure -- Fuel w/o sending unit

ms0fly.jpg

I think with the blue on the dash that they look better without the bezels, and cheaper to.

Attachments

• 09 pics 142.jpg
    09 pics 142.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 09 pics 143.jpg
    09 pics 143.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 12
My less than 10 buck repair.
1. I'd change all the bulbs out.
2. on the guages that come on with the key, remove the jumper from the "i" terminal and connect them in line with the ones that come on with the nav switch.. No guages should have to be removed, and simple wiring.

Just my two cents.

My less than 10 buck repair.
1. I'd change all the bulbs out.
2. on the guages that come on with the key, remove the jumper from the "i" terminal and connect them in line with the ones that come on with the nav switch.. No guages should have to be removed, and simple wiring.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input, but I don't know what changing the bulbs would really do, they all work, the lens in front of the bulbs are different colors, they are three different type's, and the red one's are so dim you can not read them, plus the look of the updated and matching new one's is growing on me.

Changing the bulbs woud just make the lighting the same color and more easier to see at night. I wish I could remember the name of the guages I have on My EGG Harbor, they are made by Teleflex, stainless steel bezzels, black and gold background markers, black and red tipped pointers with halo lighting, they are awsome, and do not fog up!! If you want I'll snap a pic of them for you and post it tommorow.

John if you can wait -- I had all new merc guages that I got with my boat -- I will be in Pa. within a couple of weeks -- I will send you the guages just pay for the shipping. I have no use for them here is a pic.
Speedo just the guage - tach -- trim -- water pressure -- Fuel w/o sending unit

ms0fly.jpg

If He's not interested- I would be!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a set of gauges like that for my project Enchanter! WOW! I'm serious- If your looking to get rid of them and John passes- PLEASE let me know!

If He's not interested- I would be!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a set of gauges like that for my project Enchanter! WOW! I'm serious- If your looking to get rid of them and John passes- PLEASE let me know!

I'd like to thank check for his generous offer but I don't think I need a 100 mph speedo, and I would still need a temp gauge, plus I would feel like I owe Check something for this and I don't like taking anything for free, after looking at the rat's nest of wires back there I'm gonna go for the deal my dealer is offering, so if you want them go ahead.

Thanks again for the offer Check.

Here are the guage let me Know where to send em!!:thumb:

343t3ep.jpg

There is also a a depth finder in there also. Remember all I have is the guages and some brackes to hold them in

343t3ep.jpg

I got all the new gauges done last night, decided to do it myself, I spent about 5 or 6 hours (I'm slow) cleaning up the wiring and putting them in, I got them all coming on with the nav switch and I was able to return the water preasure and speedo I just bought in august and traded the rest of them in like old video games, it ended up costing me $85.00 bucks in total for all the new one's.

Attachments

• 09 pics 146.jpg
    09 pics 146.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 09 pics 147.jpg
    09 pics 147.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 17
Back