• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Whats the biggest motor you have put on your v-mate 1

1976v-mate1

Hey guys i am looking at throwing a larger motor on my 76 v-mate 1 and i was wondering what the biggest motor you or anyone you know has put on a boat like this. i know its rated for a 65 but i was thinking an opti-max 115? any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

jeff

Motors

Mornin.
I just installed a 1990 90hp Merc 3cyl on my 76 V Mate. I was looking for a 115 but got a sweet deal on the 90.I havent certified the speed yet but it works great.I tryed a 19p prop but it 6000rpm pretty quick so I put on my 21. It works great,pulls 2 kids on the tube and 2 in the boat at about 5100rpm but I want to try a 23p.When I installed the motor I got the cavitation plate bang on with ski [keel flat]. I have smart tabs on the rear of course and am very pleased. What kind of shape is your transom in? Mine is solid as a rock. I can send you a pic if you like of my baby.
I installed a new 115 optimax on 16ft J craft a month ago at the marina and it works great as well. I also own a 78 Predictor and plan on an XR2 150hp on it this winter.
WAlt

Hey guys i am looking at throwing a larger motor on my 76 v-mate 1 and i was wondering what the biggest motor you or anyone you know has put on a boat like this. i know its rated for a 65 but i was thinking an opti-max 115? any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

jeff

I thought the V-Mate 1 was rated for 100?

Had a 76' v-Mate briefly a couple years ago. Had a 6" Bobs jack plate, 2000 Merc 125 with a nose cone and LWP. Using a Mazco 26" prop best gps was 68mph. Was kinda scarry, decided enough was enough when transom cracks appeared and found the insides to be "mush". *Note, my plate said it was rated for 100 hp. It's was ugly, but had lot's of nice parts!
102_1019.jpg

Just put a 115hp Johnson on mine. Soooo much better than the 75hp that was on it. Handles alot nicer, rides smoother with the added power trim.

Back