• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Jet boat restoration/mod

I feel the guy at performance jet is a complete moron and i would stop all dealings with him. The hole you are talking about is where the water drains out of the header when you turn off the engine.

85 percent of jet boats run these headers the other 13% run log style or other water jacketed headers because they dont want the noise or the headers hanging out. The other 2% run completely dry because they are drag boats.

A dry header tube header is dangerous unless on a drag boat.

A pick of my old jetmate after I installed the headers and it is still running the same headers to this day.

76_Checkmate.JPG
Red, thats a great looking boat :thumb:

Regarding the drain holes in the primary tubes....I was wondering about those, they just drain down into the bilge? Is there much water coming out, or does the heat dry most of it up quickly?

Cool,,, I never had headers on mine, but when I first got the boat it had log exhaust manifolds hooked up to OT's (Over Transom) instead of risers for thru hull. They kinda' look like headers but don't have individual tubes to each exhaust port. They were wet but can't remember exactly where the water hook up was, I'll have to dig them out. Pretty loud too. That's why I took them off.

You say you have the means to fab up plexi glass. I'm interested in how it is done. Is it hard to do?

I have had good results using lexan (not plexi-glass which is more brittle). Lexan can be drilled and sawn very easily. I can bend it in the press brake but it does have a lot of "memory" so overbending is required. I have a large power roll for making sweeping bends. Again, over bending is required....the material will relax back to desired bend. There is a very good industrial plastics shop close to my shop and they help me out with edge polishing and more advanced know-how.

This is a very interesting build; I believe you will have a very nice looking/unique check once you are finished:thumb:

I don't know what your plans for color will be ...... my two favorite porsche colors( not sure of the correct names ) have always been their midnight blue and dark (forrest) green metallics. Either of those and road rally striping( silver/platinum) would be a nice classic touch to your porsche build.JMHO

Red, thats a great looking boat :thumb:

Regarding the drain holes in the primary tubes....I was wondering about those, they just drain down into the bilge? Is there much water coming out, or does the heat dry most of it up quickly?

It will dump some but no big deal or anything to worry about

Engine is out

Not a big update, but I guess it's a milestone. I yanked out the 460 and dropped it on a skid. That is one heavy engine :eyecrazy:. With my makeshift boom hanging out there, my little vintage forklift had it's rear wheels in the air. I had to bring it in closer before I could drive around with it.

Had a little water in the bilge but I'm still fairly confident that transom and engine mounts are OK.

Attachments

• IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 16
Thats a pretty cool little forklift! Gotta be handy to have around... nice to see the progress you're making.

Thats a pretty cool little forklift! Gotta be handy to have around... nice to see the progress you're making.

Thanks..I bought it because it's small and just had a neat old-time look to it. I gave it a blast and paint, dropped in a battery and it runs like a swiss watch. It's amazing how many uses I find for it. I have even dropped a cooler on the forks and driven up and down the street :D

Old stuff appeals to me.....probably because I myself am "oldstuff".

I have had good results using lexan (not plexi-glass which is more brittle). Lexan can be drilled and sawn very easily. I can bend it in the press brake but it does have a lot of "memory" so overbending is required. I have a large power roll for making sweeping bends. Again, over bending is required....the material will relax back to desired bend. There is a very good industrial plastics shop close to my shop and they help me out with edge polishing and more advanced know-how.

Sounds like it's a little to involved to do without the right tools and some expertise.

Back