• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HOW FAST IS YOUR CHECKMATE? EVERYONE!

When I first started dating my wife she took a sea gull in the head at 80mph, I thought is was over right there, but she didn't get mad, after all it was dark out. now windshields are a must have.
:eyecrazy: Well John, since she is ok, damn if only you had a video recorder. Does she get a little gun shy when she sees birds flying near her? Bet at the time that was some scary stuff but hopefully you both can laugh about it now.

:eyecrazy: Well John, since she is ok, damn if only you had a video recorder. Does she get a little gun shy when she sees birds flying near her? Bet at the time that was some scary stuff but hopefully you both can laugh about it now.

ya we laugh about it now, we had only been dating a few weeks and were on are way back to the cabin after the bar closed at 2:30 am, I had the Avenger pinned because we could see some lightning in the direction we going and was trying to get back before we hit the storm, all of a sudden about 10 sea gulls that were sitting in the water flew straight up and Candice caught one with the top of here head, she had enough time to look down and that was about it. I think it scared her more than anything.

It was about 2 months later that the steering broke and I barrel rolled it so you can imagine how popular that boat was with her, I was very lucky no one was with me when that happened, back in those day's coming home from the bar with two or three passengers at 75 or 80 was a every fri and sat night thing.

The good old day's before changing diapers and midnight bottle feeds, LOL

I used to wear snowboarding goggles in that boat, looked funny but it worked.

How much setback are you running? I also have an eluder and am curious.

Sorry, missed the question. Answer is none. Motor is up on the transom about an inch, that is all. Barely fits in garage as it is. And extra few inches would break that. Have to take fin off to get it in. Fin is great for low speed stuff, and is completely out of water on plane. Hull is a dream at speed, especially out of the water. Could go faster, I was still holding some throttle. But, most of the hull is in ground (water) effect with the rear cathedral so I called that a good test point for a 25 year old boat with an old carburetor based outboard. Boy did she sing..... New ones do not sound half as cool.

Boat looks a lot like yours, but my big honking black motor that says 150 on the side (heh heh).

Mike

oh well, im a liar

i cant show the pics of our boats because im a stupid redneck fool with no computer ability at all. i used to know how to send them from my phone to my documents, then to here:pissed:but my stupidity limits my ability. i cant show you the pics of our flying machines, & were building them with a vengence. all i get after manage attachments is invalid file. what, aint i paid my dues. i need a boat ride, but its too cold. heres the cure:cheers:
dont know how i did it but heres a sneak peek at sm3 steering helm center, 1 seat front, 2 in back w/cooler, & a surprise handgrenade on the back. i hope its a 75

Attachments

• 0217101631b.jpg
    0217101631b.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
still here

ive been trying to prove that us checkmate lovers are still here, & were going do it like theres no tomorrow. do you believe me when i say we have 2 enchanters just like mine? i dont either. i only looks just like my smilemaker 1. do you believe me when i say we have a 16 baby tunnel like my alleycat, a 24 & 28 superboat, several other old school speed boats, & 15 acres of mercury motors? we aint no fools:shakehead: see my skeg on my sailboat hahahaha:rof:

Attachments

• 0912091542a.jpg
    0912091542a.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 37
spring thaw is coming

good thing because my liver is nearly the size of a peanut. as soon as the ramp thaws il throw on an old prop, & clean the hull of my check with ice. aint got worry about beer getting hot. only got to worry about busting the winsheild with a black goose. us fools are 24/7/365, but this winter has nearly made us loose our minds, haha, imagine that?:lol:

im scared

wouldnt you be scared too? if you had the choice to fly a boat faster than youve ever been in one before? but you had the ultimatum that you can only do it sober. only thing good i can relate to that is ill remember it. then again ive been fortunate to remember the way to the ramp for 40 years. didnt know we pulled the boat up, but one morning had to get a boat ride to recover my vessel drifting in the bay, yet i woke up in bed, not knowing i owned a boat. super dave didnt tell me that the moon looked like the sun was up at 3am while drinking whiskey. good thing marsh grass was soft. didnt hurt gear cases or break necks. but im willing to quit drinking to get that fill of speed. yea, sober up, go straight, quit it all, just to get that ultimate thrill. thats what will kill me, unless i can have one after. theres no drug like a flight in a boat. hey einstein, how about we put one those ignition lock breatherlizers on the v king? or put a 75 on it so we dont go to fast that my sober driving will blow the beer out of the passengers cans? :sssh: every day i wake up is a risk. but i can tell you one thing is sure, i wouldnt fly that freiking boat for nothing. im getting an airplane:Dunless u let me have a celebration drink, for a lifetime of going slow, getting beat by rick:yell:. ill drink to that, then ill drink to my drinkin to my drinkin to that. i wouldnt want to risk a DUI by boat. thats scary for the ones in the back seat. hahaha its up to you. i can hold the tiller handle at 90+:banana: i promise you super dave, ill never leave you laying in your driveway in your lifejacket again, if you let me go fast... :lol:

Last edited:
you think thats something. i could start a petting zoo while riding a roller coaster at an amusement park, depending on the chop. why you think all my boats have plexiglass windsheilds? its like riding in a pop corn popper. if there was ever a bird watcher tour guide alive that could get a closeup like the smilemaker1, with free tours for all members of PETA, and ill even throw in the crabcake dinner on tangeir, & you can best believe were fattenning the crabs up. its a shame that those ugly black geese herd up in the bay and misjudge the speed of the boat. one things for sure, if you see crap, you see guts quickly after. whats the best is when you get several flying along with you inches from the bow, and you see their eyes, and their desparation in the decision as to whether, fly or dive?. hurts our feelings so bad knowing we lost another chip of paint due to a beak, off my bow. but the bird watchers loved the feather rooster in the sunset. were the ones who feel the pain, not the birds. my cheeks hurt so bad that theres actually a new hangover called smile. it hurts when you go bird watching, and the corner of your mouth touches your ears, whether your smiling or crying haha. im not ashamed of accidently hitting a goose. but who else do you know who can fly a boat, touch & pet a black goose in mid flight, feel the air off their wings, in a pop corn popper of a checkmate? ONLY THE ENCHANTED

2009 PULSARE 2100 250 ETEC HO

Pulsare 2100 ln with 2010 250 etec ho 25p raker turning 83on gps with 6inch stock setback. There is more throttle but need some hints on setup and handling. Motor comes with LS2 gearcase.

Welcome to the site!

I'd suggest starting a new thread and you'll get TONS of great advice.

Sounds like you have a really nice boat to fine tune.

Pulsare 2100 ln with 2010 250 etec ho 25p raker turning 83on gps with 6inch stock setback. There is more throttle but need some hints on setup and handling. Motor comes with LS2 gearcase.

look at those #'s with a so called fish mota on a 2100, just think what a 250 E-TEC HO could do on a Eluder, I WANT ONE :drool:

redneck wants go fast

check out how an eastern shore redneck has to set up his boats. we cant afford those rigs i just seen u talkin about. we use junk boats & motors so we can only stay in the 70's. rotten 85 check enchanter i filled with aluminum & made it solid for a bad chop in the chesapeake bay. put a 10" rapid jack on stern. i bolted plating to knees w/fiber & alum tubing holding the deck on, when i beat it to death in the bay) & superdave(einstein,merkman,damned fool) built a 2.5 litre handgrenade & stuffed it in a 75-4 stroke cover.:D with the 24 chopper i can hold 70 with 4 head feeling weightlessness in a bay whitecap , about beat it to death. flat water i need people in back seat & might see 72 right chop. how can i go fast someday, for cheap? anybody got any suggestions? got to break 80mph before i go crazy:mad:

Feel free to advise:

'75 Trimate I w/Johnson 140 crossflow. Got 53.7 @ around 6k with 12 gallons gas, extra Battery and all gear. The day before I got just under 53 with rear bench removed (50 lbs easy), 6 gallons gas, no extra battery, and no anchor or toolbox. It wanted to walk a lot more with the weight removed too.

Making me think I need more bow lift. I'm assuming some setback will be the best remedy for this. How much setback should I look for?

I'm not sure what size prop it's running, it came with the boat on a 135 crossflow. All 21's I've tried over rev badly, never gps'd with 'em but only got about 45. Tried a couple 23's and the motor couldn't turn them. I got one more 23 to try. The current prop is stainless, and all the others have been aluminum, so it could be a 22 or 23. I would like to get the rpm's down a little. I raised the motor all the way up on the transom holes when I rigged it, I think I'm going to lower it all the way down and raise it slowly and see what happens.

It can really get hairy at top speed, I definitely need more seat time, but not sure how much better I can get with single cable steering. Will trim tabs help with the walk?

I know it's not an 80 mph boat, but I would really like to see 60 or 65 with my 140 crossflow without dropping a ton of money into it.

chine walking

Dual cable steering, adjusted right, solid mounts etc help alot, but in you're case I would just practice driving, it just takes a little practice.. Small corrections to the wheel, 1.5" to 2" back and fourth before the chine walk starts and you will find you will be able to control it.Someone on here should be able to suggest the best pitch for that motor / hull.An omc raker prop would probably work well.If you don't have one already, get a water pressure guage.

Steve

Hit 46.6 on the gps this past Sunday with the 88 horse motor and a 19p stainless prop. It was pretty windy so I'm thinking I may get another mph or two out of it on a calmer day as my on-board speedo was a few mph lower than it normally gets at WOT. Will a 6" jack plate help me much? I like the bottom end of the prop so I probably won't go up until I get a bigger motor.

85 enchanter w/ 2.5grenade,10"jack,lots of strength

what conditions are you documenting your speeds? flat water, white cap, alone at the helm, boat full of drunks? i see lots of speeds within a 10 mph zone. my boat is different because on flat water, i cant hit 65 bymyself, unless i piss my pants. put 4 head in back solid 70. in a nice chop( white cap) in the bay, 5 head in back seat & floor, only me in front, ive seen gps up around 79 when the cooler flew up in the air, 2 doing hand stands feeling weightlessness, other 3 holding the " oh **** bar" bolted to the floor in the back, before they lost the gps. level out & slam 69-75, beers flying, cooler water drenching, people cussing but smiling, capt leaned back low with drink in handtrying to push the foot through the floor, & neither fool new how fast we were going. gps was in the bildge. happens all the time, & fools are glad i built a baymate. :D

Attachments

• smilemaker1 the beginning.jpg
    smilemaker1 the beginning.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
how fast am i?

i dont know because i cant hold the gps, my drink, & keep that bunch of rednecks in the transom, under control, when the condition, breeds the amunition, for us to have fun. it might have something to do with set up. did you ever think that a sailboat skeg on your gearcase might help you during a small craft advidory? i did...:lol:

Attachments

• 0912091542a.jpg
    0912091542a.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Not sure what's up...

...I hit 75.4 gps this early spring right after ice off. Just me with a full tank of gas...25P trophy plus. I went back out last week with a buddy, half tank of gas, but he weighs 240 lbs. I could not get past 71.3 gps. Does ambient air temp, water temp, make that big of a difference. My tank is 32 gallons...at 7 lbs per gallon that means I was actually carrying more weight in the boat with my buddy in there despite only a half tank of gas by about by approx 140 lbs. Would that knock off 4 mph? I'm going to giver her another try this weekend, then the 25P comes off and the 23P Tempest+ goes on for the summer. Next year...maybe a 25 or 26P Tempest +. At any rate, I don't think 80 is a realistic goal.

Hi Tis the Season

some where on this sight is a poor vid of me holding cell phone recording a speedo couldn''t get Gps as well due to only one hand. have dual ride guide going in this summer will make lot of differance learned hard way to not open her all way with single cable. had to go promptly to shore and change shorts. But after steering should be pushing hopefully 60-65 in my little Mx 15. Thanks Viper for all your help:cheers:

Back