• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

78 Trimate-III Resto....

this is a spot I sanded down thru thr primer to give you and idea of my cracks....this is thru out the entire sides....:(

Attachments

• photo31.jpg
    photo31.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 45
So.. I guess i need to update... yesterday was a failure, change in paints and I did a dumb move and didnt spray a test panel:brickwall:, paint much thinner and run central before i could react to adjusting the gun...yes im an amature, ill admit it!!! so today, i sanded off the runs and started spraying again, this time gun adjusted right!!! So here is the dull boring blue!!:eyecrazy:

Attachments

• photo30.jpg
    photo30.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 54
  • photo29.jpg
    photo29.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 52
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
Now I can start un wrapping!!! Its like being a kid at christmas!!!:banana:

Attachments

• photo28.jpg
    photo28.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 52
  • photo27.jpg
    photo27.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 46
  • photo24.jpg
    photo24.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 49
A couple more... while i need to wet sand and buff... i cant complain to much, probably painted beyond my level with the metal flake in the blue, but nothing that cant be wet sanded out... i feel a texture from the flake? I got decent coverage and I dont know the term I guess "lay" of the flakes, not to much tiger striping and angle issues... and boy does this blue pop!!! and I havent put it in the sun yet! which scares me as to if I might see more flaws in my painting of the flake, but oh well so far im liking it... definaly wont miss me on the water!!! also ther is more untaping to do, the center of the bow is checkerd and there is a checkerd strip on the side, one shot of the transom you can see where i started peeling the masking off the squares...

Attachments

• photo24.jpg
    photo24.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 40
  • photo23.jpg
    photo23.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 44
  • photo22.jpg
    photo22.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 44
this is a spot I sanded down thru thr primer to give you and idea of my cracks....this is thru out the entire sides....:(

I see what you are talking about. That is different from what I had.
To get rid of that type of crazing would mean removing almost all of the gel coat surface. Not a fun operation.
I didnt have anything like that on my hull.

What is your plan of attack going to be?

A couple more... while i need to wet sand and buff... i cant complain to much, probably painted beyond my level with the metal flake in the blue, but nothing that cant be wet sanded out... i feel a texture from the flake? I got decent coverage and I dont know the term I guess "lay" of the flakes, not to much tiger striping and angle issues... and boy does this blue pop!!! and I havent put it in the sun yet! which scares me as to if I might see more flaws in my painting of the flake, but oh well so far im liking it... definaly wont miss me on the water!!! also ther is more untaping to do, the center of the bow is checkerd and there is a checkerd strip on the side, one shot of the transom you can see where i started peeling the masking off the squares...

Well I guess I read your post too late. You now have things under control.
I like the checkerboard band. Do you think you will have to spray clear over the blue to get some build up before sanding?

Probably, but it is a one part urethane, so I will have to wait a week or so before I can clear it.... If I wait to clear I probably will clear whole boat...

Robbie? What happened to ya?:confused:

Im Pimpin my ride!!! check out my logos!! lol

Attachments

• photo34.jpg
    photo34.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 57
  • photo33.jpg
    photo33.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 66
  • photo32.jpg
    photo32.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 57
So... Since I haven't updated anything in a while I figured I would catch some info up!!!! Sorry no pics.... Took the mate out last weekend minus windshield.. Looks kinda cool like that but not staying that way..., I do have some pics of my reinforcement of the transom but I can't post thanks to AT&T bs dsl problems... Thank god for my iPhone to keep me connected to the net... Got plenty of looks!! Always good!! She ran well but can't tell if there is any improvement since adding the jackplate, hopefully I will get to play more this weekend... However since rigging I acquired a newer controller. The one I had was a '50s two lever and trim is a switch on the dash, drives me nuts!!! Also ignition switch is on the dash but that's no biggie to me. Well the thing with the two lever is I was told that since it was so old the gear shift was backwards, weird but no big deal once you get used to it, since throttle is separate and correct...so on to installing the new controller... Ignition in the box, trim on the handle, single lever all good pluses!!!! Yesterday I started switching it over and then realized the cables were differnt style... That sucked so today I go buy new cables, thank god I work for a marine manufacture, my discount at the marine supply house got me two new teleflex cables for 17.50 a piece!! So off I go to finish installing the new controller...
Well get it all together, cables all adjusted( which I learned the old ones were not set right, I was only getting a little over 3/4 throttle at wot on controller)
So I then pull the mate out to test tach and controlls since the tach is setup differnt thru this controller, fire right up so wiring is good!! Tachs working!!! Awesome!!! Put motor in forward at idle then blam!!! It hits me!!! Damn things backwards!!! Apparently I have a counterrotating motor!!! Grrrrr!!! That's why they had the ancient controller, I was running in reverse this whole time!!!! By the way the old controller throttle didn't care which direction you were going throttle works the same! So yeah I was doing 65ish in reverse!! Lol the new box however limits throttle in reverse so I can just say screw it and throttle backwards!! Now I'm left with a big delima, either put old box back on, modify new box(make cable come in front instead of the rear, which would switch the direction of the shifter), buy counterrotating prop... Since my budget does not have room for new motor, new foot or new prop at the moment, I'm going for modify the box or put the old one back in. Thank god I have access to a machine shop, aluminum, and welder.... So hopefully tomorrow I'll post how this turns out!!!!

Caddman, Nice work so far!!! Anyway, I am not to farmilliar with Johnsons but can you Get your hands on a right hand rotation lower unit? That may help you out with your reverse rotation issue. Someone on here has to have one kicking around to get you where you need to be.

EDIT: I just noticed you had mentioned in the last post your budget doesn't have room for a lower right now. Freakin money screws everything up!!

The place where Trey works is like an adult toy store, I had a few items made there for the mate. His dad owns a manufacturing facility they design and build floating docks, boat lifts, buoys..etc. Check out www.carolinawaterworks.com, one cool place to walk around. Trey we'll get some pictures this weekend of the newly painted mate flying and sitting in the water. I've seen the mate in person big difference from the turd brown that was on it and he did a great job spraying. You should tell the story of racing the scarrab from buoy to buoy and on had 3/4 throttle doing it.:devil:

Here's some pictures of Trey's boat sitting in the water from yesterday.

Attachments

• DSCN0936.jpg
    DSCN0936.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN0940.jpg
    DSCN0940.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0953.jpg
    DSCN0953.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 56
Back