• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Which is the best 6.5 speaker?

boatn70

Gonna add some speakers and an amp to the boat. my question is what speakers are you guys installing?

I want to use 6.5" but dont know if i should buy component (i could mount the tweeters on the dash if it would help).

Also, what brands are you guys using and what do you like or not like? I know its all opinions but Id like to hear what you have to say :cheers: and why.

Alpine components, in fact everything Alpine. Look for good specials from Crutchfield.

never heard them, but JBL makes nice stuff, and marine stuff too, i have the 6x9s and they are real nice

also, whats up with these BOSS brand speakers, anyone use them, looks like bass is only down to 100hz so not much there but they are only 20-25 bucks a pair??? anyone?
ps, i am also running a sub with its own amp, and the two of the three sets of speakers will be running from an amp, the other from the deck.

JBL

Dont know if this helps ya but here is what I did with mine, I bought 6x9 JBLs and bought finished speaker boxes to mount them in. The boxes matched my carpet very close. I mounted them in front of the rear seats pointing slightly upward. Also left the 6'' rounds from factory hooked up. I do have 2 subs under dash on both sides with 1100 watt amp hooked to all. It sound great and cranks!

Attachments

• IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 56
nice, i like the idea. i need to install some in the open bow and under the dash facing the rear. right now i just have the two under the rear bench seat. not enough sound overall. sub is in the back under the passenger side by the oil resvr.

Theres a number of quality companys out there. I just recently put together a wish list for my next boat stereo. I found that I couldn't just go with one company and had to shop around to get what fit my needs. Ex. I wanted 6.5 and 6x9 but they had to be able to handle the power I was going to give them and match. That limited me cause every one makes the sizes but not with the power ratings or even matching grills. Then theres budget, cause they range from tens to hundreds of dollars, but you will get what you pay for. What ever you decide just make sure the speaker is matched to the power going to it so it will last. So often I see poeple buy junk then end up spending the money they should have in the first place.

I use all Pioneer speakers (not including subs) and head units. I have tried most of the major brands before and I cannot seem to find anything better (Although Infinity makes really nice speakers, they just don't handle high levels of power). Pioneer speakers sound great and as far as CD players go, they seem to be the most skip resistant (great for boat). That is not much of an issue anymore since the invention of the iPod. I usually mix and match amps to whatever is at hand and can't really tell between them much. As far as subs, I would do most of the major brands.....although I do have a pair of cheapies that I can't blow and sound decent. It is still in the realm of you get what you pay for. The biggest factor is paying attention to the Ohm ratings, recommended enclosure sizes, and matching up RMS values well. You can have a great speaker but it won't sound for crap if you don't have the power to push it. I am pushing 250w to my 300w max two-way kevlar cone Pioneer 6x9's with full range (no filters) and they sound great at any volume. I am in the process building some better subwoofer enclosures and new amps. For amps I am going to run Pyle marine series amps. Some nice power and features at good prices. We shall see how they sound.

I tried some BOSS speakers and filters once in a pinch and threw them in the garbage.....not worth the ink on the price tag IMHO. sound quality was absolutely terrible.

"I tried some BOSS speakers and filters once in a pinch and threw them in the garbage.....not worth the ink on the price tag IMHO. sound quality was absolutely terrible. "

thanks, they sure are pretty though!! lol

i appreciate all the input. gonna go shopping locally tonight too i hope!:irked:

I tend to do yahoo shopping or ebay for speakers. Seems to be about 50-75% the price of what I can pick them up at Best Buy or similar places for.

also, whats up with these BOSS brand speakers, anyone use them, looks like bass is only down to 100hz so not much there but they are only 20-25 bucks a pair??? anyone?
ps, i am also running a sub with its own amp, and the two of the three sets of speakers will be running from an amp, the other from the deck.

I installed 2 of the 8" Boss subs in my Ranger for a little more sound.I hit'em with a small amp not expecting much.But dang for the price I'm impressed.
My buddy heard it and bought one of the 10" subs for his Tundra for $25 and is very happy.
Now I'm not saying these are better than Pioneer or any other brand name but for sound per dollar I give them a :bigthumb:.

I just bought four of these. Alpine Type R 7" Marine coaxial. They also make a 6.5".
431_1lg.jpg

Last edited:
Polk MOMO speakers are the best I've ever had in my boat. Kind of pricey but they rock. I have Sony head unit (iPod unit) with wireless remote, Sony 880 watt five channel amp running 2 polk MOMO 6x9's (rear), 2 polk MOMO 6.5's (front), and a 10" sub (under dash sealed enclosure). Not the loadest stereo out there but sounds great.

Pioneer speakers have served me very well over the years in cars trucks and boats. They seem to take abuse from the elements as well as high power levels pretty well. They may not be the absolute best sounding granted, but what you get for your money they are hard to beat.

Here's an ad I have online for speakers and stereos

These Clarion 6.5" speakers are new in the box. $50 a pair.

SAM_0654.jpg

These speakers are new take-outs from a 2011 Checkmate. $25 for the pair. 6.5"

SAM_0640.jpg

SAM_0641.jpg

These speakers are new take-outs also. Sony 6.5". I have two pair. $49 per pair

SAM_0642.jpg

Clarion stereos. Both are brand new, never installed. $100 each

SAM_0644.jpg

SAM_0646.jpg

Back