• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1979 Entertainer I/O Project

cwfeagins

Well here goes. This is my first time posting anything on here. I am getting pretty deep into a project that I started a while back and thought I would share with everyone. It is a 1979 Entertainer I/O that I bought a 2 years ago for $2000 with no motor in it. I put a junkyard 350 in it and used it that year. That winter I had it painted and used it a little last year but it was a basketcase electrical job that I kept having problems with so recently decided to re-wire and give it some new carpet. You can probably guess what I found when i ripped up the carpet. Yep the usual rotted floor and stringers (580 lbs. worth). So it is gutted. I will try to attach some pictures.

welcome to the posting crew. You are about to enter the 'labor of love' world.
My boat required engine work but thankfully the hull is solid. There are quite a few members on this site that have done what you are about to do, so you should take comfort in knowing that advice and help is abundant if you need it and it is given with the best of intentions. (we all want our mates to be the best boats on the water)

Pics

Here they are dont have pictures of before paint but originally it was Brown and Gold Metallic.

Attachments

• CIMG4219.jpg
    CIMG4219.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 67
  • CIMG4207.jpg
    CIMG4207.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 64
  • CIMG4214.jpg
    CIMG4214.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 59
Pics

Hull

Attachments

• CIMG4210.jpg
    CIMG4210.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 41
  • CIMG4212.jpg
    CIMG4212.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG4209.jpg
    CIMG4209.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 36
Pics

Pics

Attachments

• CIMG4215.jpg
    CIMG4215.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 35
  • CIMG4220.jpg
    CIMG4220.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 46
  • CIMG4222.jpg
    CIMG4222.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 44
Progress

Got it all power washed last night will work on the stringers and float boxes this weekend. Hope to have the floor back soon. And good news today, my engine will be done at the machine shop next week. I am building an 88 350 carb roller. 030 over comp cams marine cam vortec heads. Not sure on intake yet but I have a newer 650 holley marine carb. Should be a good motor. Everything else is still in the the box waiting to be installed. Livorsi guages, new wiring, new rocker switches, new bilge pump and blower, sending units and tons of other goodies.

Great lookin paint job, i like the graphics alot! Are you gonna put a windshield back on? Not to offend any Entertainer owners but i've never really liked the looks of the tall windsheilds they usaully have. Anyway, i'll be watching this thead and lookin foward to seeing the progress, looks good so far!! :cheers:

That must have been a good feeling not to find a rotten core like quite a few of us have! Boat looks great! When I did my flotation boxes, I made them out of 2x8" material as I planed to install some power. It helps a ton as our smaller boats have no stringer like the bigger ones do. There is a ton of pics in my build thread http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12239 . Remember to use exterior grade (not pressure treated) and coat with resin! Good luck and keep us posted :bigthumb:

Great lookin paint job, i like the graphics alot! Are you gonna put a windshield back on? Not to offend any Entertainer owners but i've never really liked the looks of the tall windsheilds they usaully have. Anyway, i'll be watching this thead and lookin foward to seeing the progress, looks good so far!! :cheers:

I agree those windshields are too tall and need a different angle. I am leaving it off. I like the looks of boats without windshields.

That must have been a good feeling not to find a rotten core like quite a few of us have! Boat looks great! When I did my flotation boxes, I made them out of 2x8" material as I planed to install some power. It helps a ton as our smaller boats have no stringer like the bigger ones do. There is a ton of pics in my build thread http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12239 . Remember to use exterior grade (not pressure treated) and coat with resin! Good luck and keep us posted :bigthumb:

Yes, I was relieved to find a good core after finding all that rotten wood and soaking wet foam. I have read your thread and you have done an awesome job! Hope mine turns out as good as yours. Thanks!! Will keep you guys posted.

Finally making progress...

Ok so I had to take a break from working on the boat because I pulled some muscles in my shoulder/neck. It was miserable but now Im back to work. Got stringers in float boxes framed in and some engine work done (while the fiberglass is drying).

Attachments

• CIMG4235.jpg
    CIMG4235.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 18
  • CIMG4234.jpg
    CIMG4234.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 18
  • CIMG4236.jpg
    CIMG4236.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18
Pics

Im not the best a laying down fiberglass (first time).:sssh: Might not be the prettiest but it is serving its purpose.

Attachments

• CIMG4225.jpg
    CIMG4225.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 11
  • CIMG4230.jpg
    CIMG4230.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 10
  • CIMG4231.jpg
    CIMG4231.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 10
Front open bow

Well I am not sure how I am going to do the framework in the front. Not sure what the best way is to support the floor since it is 2 -3 inches higher than the main floor. Has anyone done this?

Bow floor

Hi CW. I am working on a project just like yours. For the floor on the bow of mine I used 3 supports that went all the way across. Started at the back where it meets up with the rear section of flooring and evenly spaced them going forward. I then put a runner down the center spanning the entire length of the bow floor. Seems to support the 1/2 inch ply just fine. I will try to get the pics posted to my entertainer floor repair thread tonight.

Back