• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Best wax to use now days?

Hello Guys its time to treat my Mate to a Buff and wax
can someone tell me the Best new wax to buy?
I would like to hand apply it, since my boat is still in factory skin.
Money is there for right product maybe some UV protection
(Happy endings need not apply or Rub and tug jokes)

:cheers:Barry

i really like collinite, fiberglass wax. really makes the black gel coat look 10 ft deep. pretty durable and easy on and off i only hand apply

Attachments

• eddie marine 010.jpg
    eddie marine 010.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 50
Personally I prefer polish over the wax. Typically a polish is much easier to apply vs wax and all that I know of is UV resistent.
I've used Race Glaze over many years and it's as good of result vs other polish I've tried. I do use a Porter Gable orbital polisher to apply and it makes for a quick and well done detail.

race glaze is very popular , i have not tried it yet . but have heard its very good stuff

Try a product called Dri-Wash n guard. Its good for in between the hard core wax times. Its really easy on & off. I have used it on several boats with excellent results.

Well, I just spent a few evenings with a D/A buffer and lots of 3M Finesse, after that was done I used some 3M Marine wax. I was very impressed with the results from the Finesse, but the 3M Marine wax was nothing special. I have used Meguires and liked that, a guy I work with is in love with Collinites, also some stuff called Duraglow??

I myself use Race Glaze... It is by far the best polish I've ever used.. I have been using it for 15 years.. My truck beads up all through winter.. Good Stuff...:bounce:

Does Race Glaze make a polish or wax or both?? I guess I could Google it.

I've used Meguiers in the past.. usually the polish by hand then the wax, it works good.

The last few years, I've been using Liquid Glass. I had a unopened container of it sitting here- part of my dads supplies he used to use... decided to try it out on the boat, I really liked the results and it holds up very well. Seems to remove light oxidation farily good and protect it all in one step.

when we had dad's boat wet sanded, i was told to use a polish only, because wax over time can yellow the finish, so i have used Aurora's Boat Shine ever since, 2 coats in the spring and it stays good all year.

re wax vs polish

Guys thanks for the comments
Wax /polish
Think I will try this "collinite, fiberglass wax. really makes the black gel coat look 10 ft deep"
News says the UVs this year are the strongest on record
hoping for much lake time, and always love a good clean shine doing 70mph:thumb: until 300x than ?:cheers:

i have been doing a two step process all by hand, the 3m fineese it and then the collinite . i think that the polish is what really smooths the finish and allows the shine and the collinite wax is really light and liquified so not much needed. im going to try the race glaze maybe next year. im a certified wax a holic.. i really think i spend more time cleaning my toys than driving them. but its fun to wax and then kick back with some cold beer

Last edited:
I use the 3M finesse-It products, then a good coat of Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF. I like that PTEF polish, really slippery, scum lines dont stick very hard, shines well, and lasts all season. I also use an Interlux Teflon Sealant after the polish....super slippery and durable.

I did a side by side test with Race Glaze and Collinite on my deck this summer. The Collinite looks better at first because of the fact that it is a wax and really shines. After 4 months in the water and sun they both still bead the water. It took a real beating with hot sun every day. The Race Glaze looks only slightly better because it attracted less dirt. Wax is still wax and will attract dirt.

On a newer boat with a natural shine still, it would not make any difference which one you used.

On an older boat prone to oxidation I would use Race Glaze BUT you would need to buff it first with an oxidation remover (finesse it). If I was going to wax/polish more often than once a year and wanted a deep shine I would use Collinite.

Back