• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Enforcer Paint Resto

Finally pulled the boat out finish sanding the areas where I filled in some spots, got it washed and dried. I've got the cockpit and sunpad area and around the bottom taped up. I've got the boat wiped down with some interlux 333. Tomorrow I'll shoot the primer!!! Here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN2854.jpg
    DSCN2854.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN2855.jpg
    DSCN2855.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN2853.jpg
    DSCN2853.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 27
I got the primer sprayed on earlier, not bad for my first time with a HVLP gun.:D Now I gotta wait 16 hrs to sand at least that's what Interlux recommends.;) My lessons learned so far: don't drink coffee prior to spraying, hold the gun a set distance, even though I'm left handed I spray better with my right, go figure!!! I have a few runs which was to be expected, but gotta start somewhere right!!:thumb: Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN2857.jpg
    DSCN2857.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN2858.jpg
    DSCN2858.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN2860.jpg
    DSCN2860.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 42
more pictures

Attachments

• DSCN2863.jpg
    DSCN2863.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2862.jpg
    DSCN2862.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2861.jpg
    DSCN2861.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 31
If your gonna paint it there also, I'd make a red neck booth. Enclose it with plastic, use a fan or two too pull out fumes and hose down the ground keep down the dust.
Sand out the runs smooth or they will look like dents or high spots in the final finish.

Looking good man, you have balls trying to do that, I would be too afraid to ruin it.

BTW that's some prime boating weather your missing out on ;) still green grass, must be nice.

I forget what my boat looks like, it's resting peacefully, no outdoor work going on here, paint would probably freeze before it hit the boat :rolleyes:

Went to turn some heat on in the cabin a few days ago so it's warm for this weekends new years festivities and snapped a pic, this is the longest I haven't done any work to it and it's driving me crazy, even though I don't really need to do anything to it, lol.

408758_10150433424337060_593712059_8853957_777967776_n.jpg

Feels so awkward having it all one color dont it... :)

Yes it does!!!! I surprised myself spraying a boat for the first time. Years ago I helped a friend who owned a body shop. I only got to spray panels not the whole car or truck though. :D

If your gonna paint it there also, I'd make a red neck booth. Enclose it with plastic, use a fan or two too pull out fumes and hose down the ground keep down the dust.
Sand out the runs smooth or they will look like dents or high spots in the final finish.

All good points!!! Using the HVLP gun setup, I get very little to no overpsray which is a good thing !!! My biggest enemy is wind, so I'll probably hang up some tarps when spraying to be on the safe side. I watched my neighbor paint a F250 in the driveway using the same setup, no overspray, however it was a windless, sunny day.:)

Looking good man, you have balls trying to do that, I would be too afraid to ruin it.

BTW that's some prime boating weather your missing out on ;) still green grass, must be nice.

I forget what my boat looks like, it's resting peacefully, no outdoor work going on here, paint would probably freeze before it hit the boat :rolleyes:

Went to turn some heat on in the cabin a few days ago so it's warm for this weekends new years festivities and snapped a pic, this is the longest I haven't done any work to it and it's driving me crazy, even though I don't really need to do anything to it, lol.

408758_10150433424337060_593712059_8853957_777967776_n.jpg

I figured what the hell, what can it hurt!!! If I screw up it can be sanded down. I wouldn't try this with a new boat or metal flake. :eek:What you guys can't see in the pictures is where the paint is starting peel on the deck from the PO owners paint job. So I decided to shoot the whole boat!!! Damn it your boat looks cold!!!! I'm actually taking a break to go play golf this morning with some buddies, take advantage of the weather then back at it this afternoon sanding the boat down.:D

Robbie, I forgot to tell you this when we were talking tonight. Take a single edge razor blade and hold it at a 50* angle to the surface of the run. Scrape it off gently. This will take only the high spot off of the run. From there block sand it out. If you try and just sand it down, it will take material off around the run as well and could show in final paint.

Also a trick is to "pull them out" while wet. Take masking tape and apply to run as soon as primer flashes. Pull right back off. It will take the run right out as it will still be wet due to the thickness and leave the rest of the paint alone. From there hit with another light coat of material but not enough to make it run again :D The area will still need to be sanded but will be 10x easier to fix vs. leaving the run there.

Megan and I will see you and Mel in a couple weeks!!:bigthumb:

My attempt to spray a boat didn't turn out so well.:( I followed all the directions on the can. Obviously it takes years of experience, which I don't have. Problems that went wrong; I can see where I wipe the boat down. I used the materials that was called for. I got fisheyes in the paint, not sure if the ratio of paint and thinner was wrong or other problems. And of course some runs. So I'll sand the boat down once again and enlist the help from Brian to shoot the boat for me. I will go with base coat clear coat this time instead of Interlux products. Brian and Megan will be down this way in couple of weeks to look at my complete failure. :eek: Btw I'll stick to fiberglass work, that I can do.

We'll get her done, don't worry! Should not take long and I will teach you a couple things along the way. I'll turn you into a painter before I leave there! We have all weekend, Megan does not need to be back to work till Monday. We will plan on being there Friday and hang out a couple days so I can teach you, my young grasshopper!!

We'll get her done, don't worry! Should not take long and I will teach you a couple things along the way. I'll turn you into a painter before I leave there! We have all weekend, Megan does not need to be back to work till Monday. We will plan on being there Friday and hang out a couple days so I can teach you, my young grasshopper!!

Thanks!!! I went outside to look at the boat again, most/all the fisheyes were gone. Must be the way that paint flows out it's made for roll and tip methods even though you can spray it. I've got two coats on the boat and you can still see the primer. Here's what it looks like now.

Attachments

• DSCN2873.jpg
    DSCN2873.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN2874.jpg
    DSCN2874.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN2876.jpg
    DSCN2876.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
more pictures

Attachments

• DSCN2879.jpg
    DSCN2879.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2880.jpg
    DSCN2880.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN2881.jpg
    DSCN2881.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 31
I'm guessing you didn't spray a sealer coat first! Primer soaked up the paint. Couple more coats it should turn out for you.

I'm guessing you didn't spray a sealer coat first! Primer soaked up the paint. Couple more coats it should turn out for you.

Ah didn't think of that. I used what interlux recommends which is pre kote. Pre kote suppose to seal the boat and small inperfections or at least that's what it said on the label. I'll sand it down and go with ppg.

Ugh thats not cool, I didn't have any troubles spraying mine... I wish I could get mine sanded in time to have Brian spray mine as well...since I have that ugly scratch screaming at me every time I walk pass the boat....

Back