• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

whoops

ballardnboyz

So when i first jioned this site,3 years ago, i was rebuilding my floor...with good advise here i got through it...so...a update. Last winter i stored her under a neighbors carport. Thinking under cover, good to go. It would have been if for what ever reason i hadnt left the plug in the transom. Now, I always take this thing out, so strange to say the least. Long story even longer...she held water...up to the bottom of the seats. I only noticed this cause my already ****ty NY trailer was now sitting on the ground with a broken axel from the added wieght. After empting the water and a good dry out i figured id be good to go...well end of season here now, I found some loose glass/mesh in the bottom of my recent rebuild. Was in a area i had a issue with the glass drying if memory serves me. I removed some of my new floor, creating a well at the rear, and presto, 15 gals of water still in the cavities I created with the rebuild. Some lessons here....

Attachments

• 1-02-12 024.jpg
    1-02-12 024.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 1-02-12 025.jpg
    1-02-12 025.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 58
I want to add the picures from the original rebuild, there in my attachments in my user control...can anyone tell me how to access them, I can veiw them, but cant attach to a new post?

By the way...with all that, i still gps 69mph....cant wait for set back and spring now!!

got it covered...ill post pics...actually goin to leave a little bit bigger well then instal a plug like the transom drain...at a location i can access under the seat..

so lessons learned;
lesson 1. dont leave the plug in the transom when storing outdoors
lesson 2. with a good heater and some chemicals you can use your boat as a hot tub...
lesson 3. when rebuilding the floor always leave a way for water to escape
lesson 4. never trust a neighbor thats never owned a boat...
lesson 5. if the fiberglass resin isnt drying properly...its not sticking properly
lesson 6. your boats 2 mph slower with 150lbs of water in it...
lesson 7. always have 3 beers before ranting in a post...:D

Hey guy not to scare you but...................Checks are famous for using 2 part foam / 2LB , which will , and can absorb water like a sponge causing failure in stringer systems , flooring , intermittent's under the flooring , adding more water weight to the whole boat overall which in turn can result in some major issues .

Hey offshore, I appreciate the info, I already removed it 3 years ago with the rebuild of the floor. :lol: We all decided it wasnt important to put any foam back...I actually planed for a issue such as what I had, except for a place for the residual water to go. I pulled the rotted stringer, floor and added new stringer with port to starboard stringers every 16 inches, leaving just enough room at the "v" to allow water to drain back. I also glassed it all to the hull and coated,including the bottom of the floor, with resin. I am modifying the back well now to allow any necessary drainage later, i will post picks at completion ;)

Oh man that sucks!
The carport must too. Seems like alot of water, you must have had water blowing sideways there. Was it covered?

Sorry to hear about the water issues. I think we all learn from mistakes and most of us have made so big ones before. I did a partial floor and core in my last boat. put it back together and went to do the engine compartment only to find the brand new floor was in the way. Had to cut it out :brickwall:
Hey offshore, I appreciate the info, I already removed it 3 years ago with the rebuild of the floor. :lol: We all decided it wasnt important to put any foam back...
FYI, insurance WILL deny your claim if it was to sink if there is no foam. They WILL by law bring the boat back to the surface. From there they Will send a surveyor out to check for the foam. If there is not the original amount of foam in there, you are poo out of luck. Not only will you be stuck with a ruined boat but also the cost of bringing the boat back up....... Just some food for thought!

Ya, there in lies the mystery, although i live on a sand bar in NC, and yes we do get a"storm" or two, but it was a mild winter, and for the life of me I cant see how that much water could get it, or why the plug was in her....I dont have any enemies, other than the IRS, and this one guy i booted out of my house for being a uninvited drunk :sssh:...

Like yellowfiero88 says we learn from our mistakes, by the way yellowfiero88, i appreitiate the heads up, certainly depends on ur insurance co., and state...
however, i should, we should all consider that...crap happens...

Ballardnboyz . i wish i could in large your attached images to better see the work you did but non the less l@@king g@@d . Hey guy , i have done three Checks in the last two years replacing all floors , stringers ,intermittant's (floor supports) and sometimes having to replace the bottom half of the vee berth with all new wood which totally amazed me when i first started started tearing into the boat considering all the foam in the cockpit area ,weep holes not sealed properly , all the intermittants or floor supports in the cockpit area once again all bare wood .....rotted , and to top everything of ......... all the air staples were steel , ect ect , Hey guys , dont get me wrong but i was kinda supprised to find so many things wrong in there build which would have prevented a lot of problems done the road for the owners of the boat just by doing a few minor things different .

Good info Offshore, I actually have heard some complaints about older checkmates and the fact the factory, could have, should have done a better job. Too bad, however they do have a nice hull design:thumb:

And not sure why those pics dont expand, you might have better luck at my home in pictures and albums? I lost the original when my laptop crashed, these only exist here, another reason i love this forum....:bounce:
if you have any pictures to share with us, would love to see them...

Hey guy that is really funny seeing ........... my pc started to crash this holiday weekend , and throwing ..........my backup disc in for recovery of photos , files , documents , E-Mail , ect ,ect which worked just fine with the exception of any recovery of my photos which i ran on a Kodak program with a total loss of all photos considering i have a thread on endless boating which now is just about usless at this point in time along with showing pics of other repairs over the years doing Skater tank's , ect ect .

works!...heres some more you can enlarge Offshore....

Attachments

• floor webbing 2.jpg
    floor webbing 2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 16
  • new trasom glass.jpg
    new trasom glass.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 14
  • new well.jpg
    new well.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 13
more rebuild pics before...

Attachments

• before glass trasom.jpg
    before glass trasom.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 13
  • rotten stringer.jpg
    rotten stringer.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 15
  • boat resto 085.jpg
    boat resto 085.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 31
finished...3 years ago... Now this time because i left the foam out and theres no rot of course...wont be a big deal...

Attachments

• boat from above.jpg
    boat from above.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 18
  • new interior.jpg
    new interior.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 20
  • boat resto 091.jpg
    boat resto 091.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 18
Back