• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballardnboyz

ok, its time, for those of you that have been following my thread titled "core" and "whoops"...well you probably saw this coming, and know how it started...the following pictures is what I discovered today. With Offshore Ginger's and teamheart2 inputs, I decided to remove the plywood pad, I ended up removing most of the balsa core on the starboard side, stern, and 4 " up the port side. Alot of delicate chipping and cutting....this is where im at so far...

Attachments

• DSC_0367.jpg
    DSC_0367.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC_0372.jpg
    DSC_0372.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_0373.jpg
    DSC_0373.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 277
and backing up a minute, I decided to remove my 3 year old floor as offshore ginger, or OG,(hope that good with you offshore?)pointed out anything black could be a issue. Well under the new floor heading towards the bow looked wet and black...so up came the floor...to the bow, which is next...the balsa looks ok up there, but at this point i need to be certain...:(

Attachments

• DSC_0384.jpg
    DSC_0384.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC_0370.jpg
    DSC_0370.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 254
more fun....

think the factory put enough foam in her???...i wouldnt call this quality control...the holes they drilled to install it were not seal properly at all.....

Attachments

• 2012-01-07_09-24-03_122.jpg
    2012-01-07_09-24-03_122.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 2012-01-07_15-05-06_236.jpg
    2012-01-07_15-05-06_236.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0378.jpg
    DSC_0378.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 242
ready for grinding and sanding....

Attachments

• 2012-01-07_15-03-12_106.jpg
    2012-01-07_15-03-12_106.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 2012-01-07_15-03-43_133.jpg
    2012-01-07_15-03-43_133.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 149
  • 2012-01-07_15-04-11_746.jpg
    2012-01-07_15-04-11_746.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 164
Jeff , first of all .....................working on Checks is like opening a can of worms....... considering i have worked on more then a few over the years and yes.............. the quality of there build during those years ....is much to be desired . Jeff , i will be sending you a pm . Jeff , just curious is that long slinkey person in post # 2 doing all the work really you .............................. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha .............................yea right .........

Last edited:
That's very good advice from the guys, when in doubt pull it out. I went thru the same situation with the Enforcer, removed the floor and ended up replacing the transom as well. Sometimes it's better to replace it now instead of later. :thumb:

Jeff , first of all .....................working on Checks is like opening a can of worms....... considering i have worked on more then a few over the years and yes.............. the quality of there build during those years ....is much to be desired .

you said that before, and i agree...but i do like the hull style and it will be better than factory when im done...please give advice throughout this process at your leisure of course:welcome:

OG or anyone else qualified :sssh: would i grind or just sand the hull now? i have chipped all the loose and not so loose epoxy and balsa off, leaving some voids and alot of blood, sweat and tears...i hit my thumb at least 25 times...:mad:

That's very good advice from the guys, when in doubt pull it out. I went thru the same situation with the Enforcer, removed the floor and ended up replacing the transom as well. Sometimes it's better to replace it now instead of later. :thumb:

funny thing Robbie, the transom is rock solid...maybe someone else had this old girl apart, Ive only had her 8 years....

Jeff , first of all .....................working on Checks is like opening a can of worms....... considering i have worked on more then a few over the years and yes.............. the quality of there build during those years ....is much to be desired . Jeff , i will be sending you a pm . Jeff , just curious is that long slinkey person in post # 2 doing all the work really you .............................. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha .............................yea right .........

oh...its me...all 145 lbs of me....

funny thing Robbie, the transom is rock solid...maybe someone else had this old girl apart, Ive only had her 8 years....

My Pulse170 (built in1996) was the same way rotten floor, stringers and some core but the transom was solid. Go figure!!!

OG or anyone else qualified :sssh: would i grind or just sand the hull now? i have chipped all the loose and not so loose epoxy and balsa off, leaving some voids and alot of blood, sweat and tears...i hit my thumb at least 25 times...:mad:

You should be able to sand now. You want that area clean so that when you start the rebuild process the glass and resin will adhere to it.

You should be able to sand now. You want that area clean so that when you start the rebuild process the glass and resin will adhere to it.

so sand it with 80 grit???..looks like its pretty tough stuff...do i vacuum or wipe it down with something first...with OG's help and the article you posted, i think i got the rest.....

Sorry ole friend .......did you mean grind .....Ha Ha Ha or ....................should we say (sand) with a very coarse grit #36 to properly prep ...............the surface .

Sorry ole friend .......did you mean grind .....Ha Ha Ha or ....................should we say (sand) with a very coarse grit #36 to properly prep ...............the surface .

Yeah I meant grinding!!! Typo, got sanding on the brain with repainting my boat!!!:D

is there a preferred method?..like i said, i have every tool under the sun...60 gal compressor with a DA would work???...or is there something better?
its amazing what you can get done in a 5000 sq. ft shop and no one bothering you!!:banana:

Hey , guy , just a quick mention ( general clean up before doing anything) vacuum the area of all debris , blow off all area's with a air nozzle , and call it good ..........................

is there a preferred method?..like i said, i have every tool under the sun...60 gal compressor with a DA would work???...or is there something better?
its amazing what you can get done in a 5000 sq. ft shop and no one bothering you!!:banana:

You can use a 4 1/2" or 7" grinder with 36 grit disc. I'm not sure if a DA will work doing the grinding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back