• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Enforcer Paint Resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today we got the bottom half of the boat painted from the rub rail down. Tomorrow the top half will get painted. The red was applied first, then black and finally white which is the Checkmate logo. Three coats of clear was applied as well. A big thanks to Brain for spraying, and can't forget my wife for helping tape the boat up!!!:thumb: Also a big thanks to EZSTRIPER for the decals!!! :thumb:Now the pictures you guys have been waiting on.:D

Attachments

• DSCN2944.jpg
    DSCN2944.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2945.jpg
    DSCN2945.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN2943.jpg
    DSCN2943.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 48
The red being sprayed!!

Attachments

• DSCN2952.jpg
    DSCN2952.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2953.jpg
    DSCN2953.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN2954.jpg
    DSCN2954.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 44
The black stripe being taped off.

Attachments

• DSCN2957.jpg
    DSCN2957.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2958.jpg
    DSCN2958.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN2959.jpg
    DSCN2959.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 23
Black stripe being taped off other side.

Attachments

• DSCN2960.jpg
    DSCN2960.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN2961.jpg
    DSCN2961.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN2962.jpg
    DSCN2962.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 10
Black stripe sprayed.

Attachments

• DSCN2964.jpg
    DSCN2964.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN2966.jpg
    DSCN2966.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2963.jpg
    DSCN2963.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 30
Checkmate Logo being masked off.

Attachments

• DSCN2968.jpg
    DSCN2968.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2969.jpg
    DSCN2969.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 34
Checkmate Logo painted white and first coat of clear.

Attachments

• DSCN2970.jpg
    DSCN2970.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2971.jpg
    DSCN2971.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2972.jpg
    DSCN2972.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 41
Second and third coat of clear.

Attachments

• DSCN2975.jpg
    DSCN2975.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2976.jpg
    DSCN2976.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN2977.jpg
    DSCN2977.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 35
The last few of the clear coat and all the tape removed.

Attachments

• DSCN2982.jpg
    DSCN2982.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2983.jpg
    DSCN2983.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2984.jpg
    DSCN2984.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 47
wow. looks awesome. i am jealous. What paint did you end up going with? did you sand all of the interlux off to spray over it. by the way it looks, looks like it laid out pretty flat. good luck with the project. hope when ever i do mine over it looks as good as yours.

wow. looks awesome. i am jealous. What paint did you end up going with? did you sand all of the interlux off to spray over it. by the way it looks, looks like it laid out pretty flat. good luck with the project. hope when ever i do mine over it looks as good as yours.

We are using Dupont Nason base/clear. A very ecnomical way vs dupont chromabase. The Nason coverage is amazing, sprays easy, and it's about 1/2 the price of chroma. It has just a tiny little bit of orange peal and a couple bugs. The peal is because the little compressor we are using can not keep up with the demand of the clear gun. If we had a little bigger compressor, it would be glass smooth with no buffing.

when cm told me what compressor he was using i thought it was a little small. looks pretty flat to me from pics. well it still will flow out some. looks great from pics.

when cm told me what compressor he was using i thought it was a little small. looks pretty flat to me from pics. well it still will flow out some. looks great from pics.

We are using a 2.5 hp with 5.2 cfm @90 psi, Brian said I probably needed at least 6-8 cfm. So far it works considering I borrowed the air compressor.:D The base coat went on smooth at a lower pressure (25 psi) but the clear coat needed higher pressure (35psi).

Looks f$#king awesome! I think I just messed my pants a little. :) Nice job to both of you!

John

the one quote i got was for 6 to 7k. that was with me removing all hardware guages, seats, motors and anything else then sanding the whole boat and he would only have to tape and spray the boat. 2 coats color 4 coats clear. i would figure paint and tape can't be much over a grand so it would cost me 5 to 6 in labor to spray it. believe he was going to use imron. when i sprayed it 1 gallon of paint did 3 coats. and had some left over.

the one quote i got was for 6 to 7k. that was with me removing all hardware guages, seats, motors and anything else then sanding the whole boat and he would only have to tape and spray the boat. 2 coats color 4 coats clear. i would figure paint and tape can't be much over a grand so it would cost me 5 to 6 in labor to spray it. believe he was going to use imron. when i sprayed it 1 gallon of paint did 3 coats. and had some left over.

I've got about $1000.00 in supplies, that's a gallon of red, 1 qt of black and white. 1 gallon of primer, 2 gallons of clear and all the reducers, activators etc. All that is 2 stage dupont paint. Plus sand paper, tape, masking paper. I used 180 grit to remove all the interlux paint. I probably went thru 100 discs just to remove the Interlux paint. One coat of primer then sanded with 320 second coat then sanded with 600 grit to get to the paint process. I hope this helps somewhat.

cm, thanks. for my boat it is probably close to 1500 then. the only thing is the interlux adhered well to my boat so im not sure if i will have to remove it completely or not. i just thought for the amount to spray was a little high. Im gonna wait and see.

cm, did you use the dupont marine topcoat paint. i was looking at prices, the red paint is 550 for a gallon of red not including activator or thinner. didn't realize how expensive red is.

Sorry to cut in but,
Demag I didn't study your boat but it didn't look bad at all .
If you sprayed it, I have no dought you can fix it yourself with instructions. I would guess its just gonna be sanding down the parts you don't like or the whole thing and sealing, spraying and clearing.

I have found painters don't like boats, so they charge big bucks.
The money you stated is crazy, I'd help you for a pack of smokes and a 30 pack.:cheers:

CM yours is looking good. You gonna need to buff it out or is it pretty clean being sprayed outside?

Thanks!!! I'm gonna wetsand and buff, got a few bugs that decided to play in the paint.:D Overall the paint looks great!!! :thumb: For what I had to work with Brian did a hellva job spraying!! Today I'll pull the tarps to enclose the carport it's gonna be windy today.:p

cm, did you use the dupont marine topcoat paint. i was looking at prices, the red paint is 550 for a gallon of red not including activator or thinner. didn't realize how expensive red is.

I used Dupont generic brand Nason. I got the house discount for buying all the paint supplies from O'Reillys Auto Parts. These are 2 stage GM colors. I can give you the part numbers if you need them. We are using a HVLP gun to reduce the overspray, actually there is very little.
Red -$56.00 a qt,
White and Black- $31.00 a qt.
Activator -$41.00 a pt B/C
Reducer- $39.00 a gal
Primer- $72.00 a gal
Activator- $46.00 a qt C/C
Clear coat- $80.00 a gal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back