• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1986 Starflite restoration

well I finally got the first cote of base on her today and halfway through spraying the wind kicked up, water in the line the kobolt inline dryer helped but got some fish eyes but no biggie just have to do more sanding, I think 3M is going to do really great this quarter because of all the sand paper I am using, oh and did I mention that every bug came to see me paint and the funny thing is there were none when I started :shakehead: I will take more pictures in a few days.

well I finally got the first cote of base on her today and halfway through spraying the wind kicked up, water in the line the kobolt inline dryer helped but got some fish eyes but no biggie just have to do more sanding, I think 3M is going to do really great this quarter because of all the sand paper I am using, oh and did I mention that every bug came to see me paint and the funny thing is there were none when I started :shakehead: I will take more pictures in a few days.

I guess I wasn't the only one that had one of those days:eek:

Funny how bugs always appear when you're painting and always end up in the paint:irked:

I look forward to seeing the progress pics...

well I got home from work and had a round two for the base sanded with 220 grit and spraying the bottom and the side facing the sun came out great but the side in the shade that I could not see that well has some run's in it so hopefully they sand down level so I dont have to spray base again, sorry no pics yet, I am just to tired but soon the first imron clear coat with silver pearl will go on next, I will take more photos as I go along.

well I got home from work and had a round two for the base sanded with 220 grit and spraying the bottom and the side facing the sun came out great but the side in the shade that I could not see that well has some run's in it so hopefully they sand down level so I dont have to spray base again, sorry no pics yet, I am just to tired but soon the first imron clear coat with silver pearl will go on next, I will take more photos as I go along.

I had something similar today... got home from work and went to see how the gel looked in the day light. It looks good, but now I see all of the imperfections I missed. I too will be sanding and filling to make everything perfect. Good luck:bigthumb:

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0266.jpgas it is raining no pearl as of yet so I worked on the beat up trailer and replaced 2 rollers and working on the fender wish I could buy one, the back step is broken so all I can do is round it out for now, had a place try to replace the side windshield and it cracked on him 3 times and told me to come and get it he could not cut it right, so I lucked out, a friend had a sheet of Lexan so we cut it and now I will install it soon.

I am also redoing the motor cover and lower unit ans well when its all said and done it will be pearl blue as well and let me tell you that cover takes alot of fine sanding, a pain in the $%*. forgive the picture of the Starflite I think every bird in the area used it for aiming practice, bugs now birds, at least the base was dry so it will wash up.IMG_0265.jpg

High probability my windshield is not going back on... can't give it up yet, but if you want some factory glass let me know.

High probability my windshield is not going back on... can't give it up yet, but if you want some factory glass let me know.

thanks alot, the frame was bent up and I tried to straiten it as best I can and bondo glassed some of the bowed in places to straiten it back out as well,more sanding on the frame, the Lexan does have a few scratches but got to do with what I have.

Looking good so far:bigthumb: you should contact EZstriper for some new decals for the engine cowl.

I will, its the last thing I will do, just had to buy some bunk carpet and put new U-bolts on the trailer and sanded the one bad side of her today so I will redo the base on her when the weather permits and my job.

Really enjoying watching this resto --- it's great to see sombody putting so much love and attention into their vessel and sharing it with others.
I've done my share of boat repairs/restos in the past many years,--- so, as with many of us in this forum know, it takes a lot of "boat love" / dedication / very hard work / {and of coarse money} to do what you are doing ---- keep up the great work ---and can't wait to see your finished product --- good luck and stay focused.

Really enjoying watching this resto --- it's great to see sombody putting so much love and attention into their vessel and sharing it with others.
I've done my share of boat repairs/restos in the past many years,--- so, as with many of us in this forum know, it takes a lot of "boat love" / dedication / very hard work / {and of coarse money} to do what you are doing ---- keep up the great work ---and can't wait to see your finished product --- good luck and stay focused.

Thanks, that really means alot, it is a real pain but it will be worth it in the end.

yes it is when i finished mine and put it in the water i had a grin like a kid at christmas!for a week!the wife kept asking whats up with you?:cheers:

sanded her down today with the intention of shooting the platnum pearl and found that I should had used 800 grit and not 320 so I had to spray it with another coat of base, now tomarrow the bottom will be done I hope, oh and im sick of hand sanding it sucks, more photos comming soon

320 is normal for car painting. 2-3 coats base and then cleara few coats good to go.
What was wrong with your deal? just wondering.

320 is normal for car painting. 2-3 coats base and then cleara few coats good to go.
What was wrong with your deal? just wondering.

oh just alittle light in places with the base was all, I have the boat facing bow south is one mistake one side of the day you can see that side and the latter part of the day the other side and its hard to get everything done for painting at high noon,the shadow is what kills me or the sun beating dirrectly at the side I am spraying, I try to spray and look at it from the angle helps but this was my main problem,with the runs I had, should had faced the bow west or east, then with all the bugs:pissed: I had to sand more than I wanted.

Back