• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1989 Starliner Restoration

Rob B

Staff member
Most of you know that I got Sam I Am's project starliner to finish. Now that the boat is under the carport I got a good assessment of what it will take to finish the restoration. Sam was nice enough to bring the supplies he purchased for the project. The first of order business is to remove the top so that I can finish building the knees and stringers, then the floor goes back in. The new transom is already in. Second will be to modify the splashwell to lipless and repair the outside of the transom. Third the boat will be flipped to repair the keel from the previous owner beaching it. Lastly a full paint or gel job, new interior and rerigging. I have questions for the guys who use epoxy resin, what type of fairing putty do you use? This will be to smooth the transom repair and for the conversion to lipless splashwell prior to painting. So here we go with pictures and the link to the original thread:http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23289

Attachments

• DSCN4102.jpg
    DSCN4102.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN4100.jpg
    DSCN4100.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN4101.jpg
    DSCN4101.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 97
The supplies and floor material in third picture.

Attachments

• DSCN4104.jpg
    DSCN4104.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN4105.jpg
    DSCN4105.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN4115.jpg
    DSCN4115.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 101
The original steering wheel with logo and other hardware.

Attachments

• DSCN4108.jpg
    DSCN4108.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN4107.jpg
    DSCN4107.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN4106.jpg
    DSCN4106.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 52
Boo Yah! Way cool to see the old thread pick up in a new one with a new owner. Good luck on your restoration and welcome to the Starliner club.

Can't wait for you to make it up for a Starliner Statue Of Liberty group BOTM photo shoot.

BTW- I still have that steering wheel.
:welcome: Congratulations, that's great!
Thanks for the pics. Keep 'em coming.

Sam and I talked about making the trip for Starliner Statue Of Liberty group BOTM photo shoot. He's gonna bring his liner from North Dakota and I from SC. Hopefully I can have it back together before then.

Last edited:
Sam and I talked about making the trip for Starliner Statue Of Liberty group BOTM photo shoot. He's gonna bring his liner from North Dakota and I from SC. Hopefully I can have it back together before then.
You're gonna need a prettier trailer. Those black things don't look very roadodynamic.

You're gonna need a prettier trailer. Those black things don't look very roadodynamic.

I've got four to go look at, scratch that three now. I went yesterday to look at a tandem axle painted trailer, the guy was out of his mind. The cross members were rusted and he painted the trailer with a paint brush. :shakehead:Here's the kicker he wanted $1000.00 for the trailer.:eek: The trailer wasn't long or wide enough anyway, wasted an hour going to look it!

Started doing some work on the transom this morning. I used my dremel tool to open up the crack in the transom so I can repair it. I got a question for the epoxy guys, can I mix cab o sil and resin to fill the crack in then glass over it? Also I have some har line cracks can I glass over those as well? Finally what kind of fairing putty to use to make the surface smooth? Epoxy resin is new to me so that's why I'm asking. Here's the pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN4132.jpg
    DSCN4132.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN4133.jpg
    DSCN4133.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN4135.jpg
    DSCN4135.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 58
Yes Robbie you can use cabosil, I have always used the west system fillers with epoxies, but that can get very expensive, depends on type you get... if you dont plant to do a lot of flaring it may be worth it...but if you do a lot...cab should be fine...the process for epoxy is the same as resin...

Sam left me with big supply of epoxy resin, harder, mat and a big bag of Cab o sil!! Hopefully I shouldn't have to buy to much more. :D I still need some type of fairing putty that's compatible with epoxy resin.

Sam left me with big supply of epoxy resin, harder, mat and a big bag of Cab o sil!! Hopefully I shouldn't have to buy to much more. :D I still need some type of fairing putty that's compatible with epoxy resin.
west system has many additives you can use...high density and low density i cant rememember the numbers off the top of my head sry. making your own saves some $$$$$

Attachments

• DSCN4137.jpg
    DSCN4137.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN4138.jpg
    DSCN4138.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN4139.jpg
    DSCN4139.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 67
I also rebuilt the cradle stronger to hold the deck. I'll add some cross members on the four posts that's installed and some bracing. Back to Lowes again!!!

Attachments

• DSCN4136.jpg
    DSCN4136.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 34
west system has many additives you can use...high density and low density i cant rememember the numbers off the top of my head sry. making your own saves some $$$$$
Here is a link to West systems filler chart. The fillers aren't to expensive. I used the 410 and 406. They go quite a long way. Lookin good:bigthumb:

Back