• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I Have an Addiction!

Pulled the injectors out of the intake tonight....WOw!!! The smell of stale, 2.5 year old gas can kill ya!! I'm gonna have the injectors cleaned and flowed out of precaution.

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpg
    IMG_8738.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
Let me know who you have do it and what it cost if you could. I would like to get mine done as a precaution.

Hey Steve this is Nick from Nick's Creative Marine. I just finished putting your powerhead together. Injectors have been flowed and tested, fuel system flushed, oil injection gear removed and bypassed. Bring your boat by the shop in the morning for install. Thanks

Nick:devil:

Link for pic of completed powerhead
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/2938planb/250.jpg

Thanks Nick!! For those inquiring minds, Nick is my motor guru! He's been in the boat rigging and repair business his entire life and spent many years racing! I've learned a lot from Nick and any wrenching I do is backed by Nick ' s 1st hand knowledge! If you need a boat re rigged, whether fishing or high performance, he's the go to guy in south Florida!!

Attachments

• 20141024_091200.jpg
    20141024_091200.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
So are we thinking it will break 80? :sssh:

I've been told that the boat has exceeded 80mph with a Trophy Plus 27...after I get the motor broke in I'll report back. I'm going to run my Tempest Plus 26 for break in time and then I'll try my Trophy Plus 27. I also have access to a few really high end props to play with once I get a few hours on the motor...

Well..had a great 1st day on the water with the Starflite until I decided to stab the throttle with less than an hour of break in time. Boat handled great, jumped on plane and you could really feel the boat free up in the upper 60's...everything was going smoothly...glanced down at the speedo and saw the the needle approaching 80...and then it felt like the motor lost power..I brought it to an idle and the motor didn't sound right. My buddy Nick (Nick's Creative Marine) towed me to Indiantown Marina where I picked up the boat with my truck..got her back to our picnic table at Phipps park and pulled the plugs..sure enough, melted the #6 piston I just had replaced! $hi+, a very costly mistake by getting throttle happy way too soon. Back to pulling the powerhead apart again....

Attachments

• 20141026_110200.jpg
    20141026_110200.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 34
Here's a little cell phone video from the maiden "Flite"! At about 4100 rpm the GPS speedo was already reading 52 mph :eek: and that was without getting to dial the boat in with the jackplate or trim!! I'm going to have to re-learn driving a small boat again:bigthumb:! lol Too bad my right foot got too throttle happy before I broke the motor in:sick:! No one to blame but myself!:pissed: Oh well, already pulled the powerhead again and started undressing the motor to see how bad it is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2eg4oCFIcQ

Last edited:
Ok..now I don't feel so bad about melting the #6 piston by getting on the throttle too soon..I spoke to Marty at Diamond Marine Racing when I dropped off the block this morning to get the #6 hole cleaned up again. He said that if I traveled the 30 miles of distance that I covered (before I nailed the throttle) I should've been fine. Turns out the fuel pump was probably faulty by not being able to deliver enough fuel to the rail in the upper RPM range thereby allowing the #6 hole to run lean (it's the last one to get fuel delivery). Even though the VST was thoroughly cleaned before running the motor, the fuel pump wasn't functioning properly when we first fired up the motor......this is what most likely caused the motor issues to begin with...

i'd say it's still pretty painful...

Yeah, my wallet is screaming:yell:....but it's not really that bad. Thankfully, one of my best friends, Nick of Nicks Creative Marine, takes good care of me:thumb:..the first rebuild including parts/labor/machine work was $1600..I save some money by doing some of the work myself. The second rebuild will be quite a bit less as it will only require the new piston, wrist pin bearings, some o rings/seals, etc. and a NEW fuel pump!! Hopefully I'll be back on the water in the Starflite within a couple of weeks...til then I'll just have to use my 2800SX Outboard..boo hoo :D:poke:!!

Attachments

• 2800 Lock Park.jpg
    2800 Lock Park.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 27
  • ANNIES STARFLITE.jpg
    ANNIES STARFLITE.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 24
Back