• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Predictor transom cracking

Checkmark

Have a Predictor with a 150 V-6 Merc that is mounted 7" high and 8" set back on it's manual jackplate in relation to the top of the transom. It has cracked across the top of the transom and pulled the fender washers into the fiberglass on the splashwell side motor mounts. No other signs of transom fatigue, and a poke into some holes drilled near the area show solid wood. I'd like to reinforce with a 1/4" aluminum plate on the back of the transom, bolted thru a 1/4" aluminum plate 4" wide x 26" long across the splashwell side mounting bolts to spread the load. Possibly add some gussets welded from that to bolt to the angled portion of the splashwell over the gas tank.

Does this sound like a reasonable repair? Planning on moving to 5" setback, which will lower the engine a bit also.

Sounds like it rotted by the bolt holes only. That's good.

If I were you, I would go ahead with your plan. It is obviously not a permanent repair but you have to weigh what it would cost for a transom replacement.

If the boat was in pristine shape otherwise, I may think about replacing the transom. if it's just a river/lake beater then get back on the water by any means necessary. :thumb:

This is after my transom was replaced but pretty much did what you are saying. I'll see if I can dig up pics of inside but used 1/4" thick 4" aluminum angle inside. The angle adds some strength.

3_zps5b74ec88.jpg

Cracked transom

I don't see the pictures for some reason. Thanks for replies illMATTic and Great East; appreciated. The alum angle is cheaper which is nice, and I also thought would be stronger as I could use either 3X2" or 4X3" and have the angle over the top of the transom. Only thought I had was making it TOO strong and possibly overstressing the outside portion of the transom (load has to go somewhere). I thought by putting 2 gussets on the inside of the bolt holes, I would transfer some load to the splashwell and surrounding deck.

It may be wishful thinking, but I'd like to think the glass just cracked, and the transom is sound. I know we over reached with the engine setback and height. Check transoms are well built, and I'm thinking this will solve it. Hopeful anyway. The budget is limited, and time is short.

Maybe these will work. The inside transom shot is of my laser, not checkmate but its the same idea.

Attachments

• IMG_3407a.jpg
    IMG_3407a.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 72
Yes those pics worked! Same plan I have, with possibly welding some gussets to the bracket in the splashwell and tying that into a bracket behind the splashwell over the gas tank. Is that a trophy on that 2 liter and does it give you good hole shot and top end. Is that a Predictor/150 also?

predictor

Love your cowls! My son's predictor is all repaired and he got 70.1 on GPS. Runs a 24" Chopper that is kind of banged up. I'm guessing he could get another 2mph with a rework from somebody like Janaky at DAH. He's got the rear seat removed and the engine jacked to the moon. Thing sits at a 20 degree angle with about a foot of the pad in the water and just floats. Did a nice job setting it up.

Back