• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Ran my Verado 400r

No, the foot throttle won't interfare with anything. It was carefully planned and measured out. Remember, there are no manual cables..just a plug in harness because the Verados have digital shift/thottles..

Right ... DTS :brickwall: I knew that. I might see if Ronnie's Marine could do the same thing for me up here - they seem to be doing a great job of the '79 Exciter.

Update

Well it's been a while, with flying & all but this is were I'm at; the foot throttle is not in, glass work is done & I must say it looks like factory, I'll post pics soon, the foot throttle is only compatible with the Merc side mount & not with anything else so my Livorsi control will have to adapt, there are 5 wires going in to the throttle plug so I guess I'll make it work with a DPDT switch & a TPDT switch ganged together. My results testing with a Rev 4, Tempest & clever props have been about the same & I assume I can't get any faster cause I run into my high speed porpoise wall, I've tried different combos but the ultimate result is the high speed porpoise, this is the scenario: I'll creep up to 81-82mph slowly adding power & slight steering input & all is good but it just takes some wind or a small wave or some more steering input as speed & power increases to have her fall of to her side to get that 1st bounce &.....THERE IT IS :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :pissed: going to 14" of set back I gained 1mph amid the bouncing putting me at a solid 83.6mph with an occasional 84 so I don count that, I have a 6" jack plate that I will try eventually, what do you all think? Would it remedy my bounce? In any case it might be worth a try. My friend Nick has some space at his shop next week so I'm going to flip her over & blue print her bottom also thinking of adding a true pad 12"? Again asking for the great wisdom out there, what do you think?

Chine walk.

Have you ever experienced Chine walk before. It sounds like its not so much a porpoise but Chine walk. My 21 Pulsare used to do it all the time. It ran a best of 84mph with a 250ProXS. The higher I ran the motor up the transom the less noticeable it was. I was at 1.5 inches below the pad and had a torque master lower on it. If it is chine walk it is the nature of the beast. Sometimes I could get it balanced on the pad and it would sit perfect. Most times it is something you have to steer thru. Not that it goes away. After a while I could run into a foot and a half of chop into the wind wide open and counter steer the chine walk. That was my 2nd 21 Pulsare and my third outboard Checkmate overall since I was 24yrs old. It isn't easy and I thought the 24 would have been above that so to speak. Ive never driven one so I may be wrong but I thought this may help.

Yes I can see how sometimes a chine walk could initially be though of a a porpoise but there's no mistaking this high speed porpoise, I've had Allison, Actions & Shadows 16 footers through 21 footers & have raced a few races in my time & scared my self a few times while learning to drive through some nasty chine walks to down right getting a blow out but I'm still going to get a couple buddies of mine that definitively have more experience than i & have them drive my boat to see what they think; thanks Nastybug I appreciate the input.

hear is were my foot throttle will go

Attachments

• FT Base.jpg
    FT Base.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 43
  • FT Base 2.jpg
    FT Base 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Chine walk.

Yes I can see how sometimes a chine walk could initially be though of a a porpoise but there's no mistaking this high speed porpoise, I've had Allison, Actions & Shadows 16 footers through 21 footers & have raced a few races in my time & scared my self a few times while learning to drive through some nasty chine walks to down right getting a blow out but I'm still going to get a couple buddies of mine that definitively have more experience than i & have them drive my boat to see what they think; thanks Nastybug I appreciate the input.

Sounds like you've experienced you're own nightmares with Chine walk. Im having a hard time understanding the problem as it does sound just like it. Up in the air then falling off to one side and then the fun begins. Wow. Never experienced a blowout and feel very lucky about that. Hope you figure out your problem. Almost bought a 2400 when I bought my last 21. It was so big compared to the 21. Great ride. Now with the 400 can get well over 80mph too. Enjoy your beautiful ride. There is a special place in my heart for the Checkmate line of boats. They can be a handful for sure. I tell all the big speed boat guys. You think your great and can drive a 35 foot I/O in 3 foot chop but you should try driving a 21 Checkmate Pulsare at 80 plus mph in flat water let alone a couple feet of chop. Ha. Now thats a talent. Enjoy the Summer Hayabusa.

Having owned 2 Pulsare 2100s and one Starflite (all 80mph boats) I can tell you that the Pulsare 2400 is a different animal. It's substantially a different ride and can handle much bigger water without getting out of shape. At 80 mph in any 21' V bottom you have to "drive" the boat and keep it balanced. I found the Pulsare 2100 easier to drive than the Starflite at 80mph. I could fly my Pulsare 2100 on the pad by seat of the pants instinct...the Starflite would surprise me when I least expected it and fall off (a gust of wind, hitting a chop or wake) and start to dance forcing me to back out a bit and then stab the throttle again..it did make it fun and challenging. My Pulsare 2400 with it's current setup is too slow to get into trouble (65mph). I can feel it just beginning to loosen up but don't have the setup or horsepower to get into trouble. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive Jame's (Hayabusa's) BRX/400R to feel what he is experiencing..

Well got the foot throttle in & took her out for a test, it worked great. Had to adapt a couple of switches to be able to switch from foot throttle to hand throttle & I also reposition the rheostat in the foot throttle so I could get the proper travel & comfortable angle for my foot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 31
Went out with my friend Nick & had him drive my boat he did a lot better job than i could, kept her steady but couldn't get rid of the high speed porpoise all together. we tried a few different props including a Hydromotive Intimidator Quad IV 15-1/2 od x 25p, lost a few mph & rpm with that one due to the big diameter & Todd at Hydro will get it back to cut some diameter out, i want to try Hydromotive's Quad IV O/T, their version of the Trophy +, in any case i went with my friend Jeff's sugestion of taking set back out, i was at 14" and..... something i didn't know until my friend Steve told me, the Verados sit 5" further back than a Optimax or 300XS, we actually measured & compared them while my boat was getting the floor fitted for my foot throttle, that put my 700lb 400R 19" back, WOW, so i put a Bob's 6" on & went out for some cruising with the wife & there is a nice difference, a lot more settled, comes on & off plane in a more respectable horizontal maner, didn't get a chance to open her up but will do in the next few days.

Attachments

• New 6 Hyd lift.jpg
    New 6 Hyd lift.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 99
  • Hyd & Motor.jpg
    Hyd & Motor.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 107
That's great info from Steve on the 5" of built in setback on the Verados. She seems to like the extra 5":D I'm at 15" total now:bigthumb: 4" fixed jackplate plus 6" with the hyd. jackplate. Good to hear about the extra stability with less jackplate. I am curious if your top end will change.

Unfortunately the templates I made got cut up for some other projects, I can send you some close up pics & measurements of the outside plate & inside box if you want.

I still have the inside template in my garage. I never used it as I came up with my own transom savers..

Hi!

I have a Phantom 25 feet offshore hull. I have done several engines on her, incl Johnson GT 3.6 300 Offshore, Promax 300 SVS, 2 x 2,5 EFI SS Brucato and Verado 350 Sci. I have a 400R on order for deliverance April 2017. It will have Sportmaster LU with cambered skeg.

I have experienced problems with the power assisted Verado steering. Its not precise enough. The "slack" in the steering makes it difficult to run the boat fast. Top speed with the 350 Sci has been 81-82 mph. This is with the standard HD 5,4 gearcase.

How are your steering on your 400R? Are you satisfied with it? I have lost my bowlift at wot sometimes, causing the boat to drop hard on one of the sides. Not fun in 81 mph :) My boat is very narrow. Only 5,5 feet.

Hopefully the sportmaster will be better at elevated transom heights and the top speed I am aming for. The HD gearcase neither like high speed og high propheights.

Cheeers, Toffen

Hi!

I have a Phantom 25 feet offshore hull. I have done several engines on her, incl Johnson GT 3.6 300 Offshore, Promax 300 SVS, 2 x 2,5 EFI SS Brucato and Verado 350 Sci. I have a 400R on order for deliverance April 2017. It will have Sportmaster LU with cambered skeg.

I have experienced problems with the power assisted Verado steering. Its not precise enough. The "slack" in the steering makes it difficult to run the boat fast. Top speed with the 350 Sci has been 81-82 mph. This is with the standard HD 5,4 gearcase.

How are your steering on your 400R? Are you satisfied with it? I have lost my bowlift at wot sometimes, causing the boat to drop hard on one of the sides. Not fun in 81 mph :) My boat is very narrow. Only 5,5 feet.

Hopefully the sportmaster will be better at elevated transom heights and the top speed I am aming for. The HD gearcase neither like high speed og high propheights.

Cheeers, Toffen

Hi Toffen, welcome to the board I've seen your boat on another site, good looking boat. I like the steering on my 400R, it's the same one as on your 350, I did bleed it thoroughly & it helped take out some play but as with all electric assist hydraulic steering you can't get rid of all the little bit of slack, but you adapt to it. You will like the 400R with the Sport Master it will definitely help with your bow lift as it did for me when i went from my 300 Pro to the 400R & the SM with the bigger skeg steers better at high speeds. With my setup I can raise the engine from 0 with the pad up +2.5" at high speed before seeing a drop in water pressure & it still steers very well.

All the best, James.

Hi!

Cheeers, Toffen

Glad to see you made it over...not a lot of guys running 400R's yet so I figured you might want to check it out.

Back