• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Adam's Strobe 201 Restoration

ontherocks83

I am starting my multi-year restoration of my 1989 Strobe 201 350 Alpha 1 and I figured I'd document it along the way. If nothing else it will be a permanent digital record of what I've done so I can research it later. But hopefully I will get some great advice and opinions on what to do from the knowledge base here:thumb:. I'll post things as they happen, as I am afraid that starting with a "to-do" list would scare me out of even starting. As always all comments, suggestions, and opinions are always welcome.

Here are some pictures of the boat to start with.

Attachments

• B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 45
  • TRAILER BOAT.jpg
    TRAILER BOAT.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 56
The Original outdrive had some major damage from electrolysis and a few light taps with a hammer was all it took to put a major crack through the casing, just for fun I pried at it with a screw driver and voila, major hole in the casing.

I was contemplating buying a new STI outdrive but was able to find this used fresh water only out drive for half the cost. It is out of a 4.3 litre but the 1.47 gears in mine were still good so I'm having a buddy swap them over, along with replacing the water pump and new oil. He also replaced the trim limit switches and new bellows and shift cable in the transom.

Attachments

• out drive.jpg
    out drive.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 36
  • new outdrive.jpg
    new outdrive.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 34
The back seat frames were completely rotted. So much so, that when I took the vinyl off, the frames literally crumbled into little pieces. :brickwall: so much for having a template to work with.

It took a couple of days but I was able to build a new seat back for the back seat. I am waiting for the new foam cushions to arrive and for now I am going to re-use the vinyl until I decide what I want the interior end product to be.

I'll post the vinyl wrapped back seat after I finish putting it back together

Attachments

• Back rest frame.jpg
    Back rest frame.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
The name has definitely got to to. There is no way I am cruising around as the "Sea Stallion" for another summer:irked:

I'll put up the applied decal once I do it, but here is what it will look like for now. I went with the name "Para Bellum" which is from "Si vis pacem para bellum". Latin for "if you seek peace prepare for war". Para bellum is also used for certain 9mm ammunition known as 9mm para bellum. Did I mention I'm a vet, NRA instructor, and gun enthusiast ;)

The wife doesn't care for the name but that's ok, I still have decades of dis-appointing her to look forward to:D

Edit: I ordered the decal from boatletteringtoyou.com Pretty decent website for simple graphics, you can't upload any pictures but they have standard graphics if you want them. Check them out if you are looking for something quick and easy. Pretty cheap prices too.

Attachments

• TRAILER STERN.jpg
    TRAILER STERN.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 40
  • para bellum.jpg
    para bellum.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Why not wrap it with white vinyl?

I never thought of that. That actually would look awesome. My plan right now is to get things operational but as far as final product goes, I haven't decided yet. I am re-using the old vinyl for the seats right now until I decide what I want to do with the interior. The two thoughts are

A: buy new modern flip up buckets for the front and get them re-upholstered to match the backs and then get the backs re-done as is, in new material or.......

B: buy new modern flip up buckets for the front and get the backs re-upholstered to match what ever style the fronts are.

Either way I like your idea and once I go for new vinyl I am definitely wrapping the base to match.

Looks great. I'm doing my interior now. Is the strobe an I/O version of a pulse. Looks similar to mine but no out board.

Thank you! From what I gather supposedly the strobe is the predecessor to the persuader 219. I dont know how true that is but another member that worked for checkmate told me that so I tend to believe him. Their is almost no info out there about the strobe so its hard to say much of anything.

To be honest I was hesitant to start this thread being embarrassed that the beginning of my restoration is going to be a lot of tertiary repairs for a while i.e. small mechanical repairs, wiring repairs, and easy carpentry stuff. (Ok the seat back sucked but you get what I mean.) Eventually i'll get to the scary stuff like fiberglass repairs, paint, and cutting out the floor to replace the gas tank. But that may be a ways off. Either way it will all get done but maybe over a few years instead of say 1 winter.

My plan for this year include but are not limited to, replace outdrive, trim limit switches, bellows, and shift cable, power steering actuator, new alternator, oil leaks, replace bilge pump and float and replace biilge hose with sanitation tubing, rebuild rear seats, replace gauges and install an echo charger.

you can buy it from a fabric store and just staple it on to the base. Would look more professional then paint. just giving ideas.

Love the idea and totally agree! Keep them coming.

I was just duplicating what the boat came with but I will look into doing that instead.

Alright so I thought about it and I am going to heed your advice and wrap the rear seat base in vinyl. Now for the important question. How do I wrap the sides and or cut the vinyl to make it look as seamless as possible?

If i lay the vinyl over the top then the front and top will be clean but the port and starboard sides will be shaped funny due to folding them like a christmas present. Now doing that isn't the end of the world because you can't see them when it is installed, but is there a better way to do it?

The Vynil can be stretched and steamed to reduce wrinkles and folds but you will still have a few on the sides. If I had to do mine again I would add a 1/4 inch thick foam between the Vynil and wood. It hides any imperfections and helps on the corners. Plus it gives it a plush feel and look. My base is Vynil only. My speaker box is foam and Vynil. Pm me your number and I can send some pics of how I did mine to give you ideas. Good luck!!

I took keith4216 and lynchmobs advice and wrapped the seat base in vinyl. It definitely looks WAY better and much more professional then paint. Thanks for the advice!:bigthumb:

Attachments

• BENCH.jpg
    BENCH.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 21
The next question is about everyone's recommendation for embroidery on the back seats.

I just dropped off my back seat frames to a shop in NH to have them upholstered. I was going to attempt it myself but after hearing the more than reasobale initial quote I couldn't pass up having it done professionally. I am going with something very similar to lynchmobs back seat, except I am adding a thinner black border on either side of the red stripe. I am having it done by Ashley at Shoreline Marine in Meredith NH. She is busy and has a 4 week turn around right now, but I will post the final pics and prices when I get them back.

Now to the long awaited question.

I am going to get the word Checkmate embroidered on the top of the back seat in block style lettering. I want to have it done as an outline only (no filler stitching). This way it will be a subtle touch and not too overpowering over the rest of the interior.

What font do you suggest?

I am thinking Broadway font because it is period correct, but I don't know if there is something you all think would look better.

Bellow are some pics of what and where I was thinking. One of the pics is hard to see but you can just make out the idea of outline stitching I am talking about.

Attachments

• lynchmob.jpg
    lynchmob.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 25
  • OUTLINE.jpg
    OUTLINE.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 23
  • B3 EMBROIDERY.jpg
    B3 EMBROIDERY.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 22
I'm partial to the newer style lettering. Like what's at the top of the forum page. I can't remember the font I used for PULSE on the inside but it was a standard one the shop used often

I'm not a huge fan of the new checkmate font, but I also just realized that doing the broadway font in an outline may not work. If you look at the letter C in broadway font the top and bottom of it are very thin and wouldn't really look right outlined as it would probably end up just being a single line.

So here is the up to date list of repairs since I bought the boat last year.

New:
Carburetor
Fuel pump
Trim motor reservoir
Power steering rack
Outdrive (new to me and my old gears swapped over)
Re-built prop
Port side cylinder head
Thermostat
Trim limit switches
Bellows
Shift cable
Water Impeller
Spark Plugs, Cap, Rotor, and Wires
I also added a fuel filter before the anti siphon valve due to the gas tank being very dirty,

Here is a pic of the old and new outdrives

Attachments

• out drive 3.jpg
    out drive 3.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 14
  • out drive 2.jpg
    out drive 2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 19
Back