• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1989 25' Convincor refresh

Kyain

Well.. I figured I would toss up some info and pictures of my winter project.

check9.jpg

Here she is as I picked it up. Inspecting the boat and talking with a few friends that live in the area that are big checkmate fanatics too, I was able to track down 95% of the history of this boat. Was good too because it gave me more faith in the purchase after seeing the condition of some of the parts with the previous owner. The paint job on the boat is probably an 8/10. The 2nd owner of this boat ran a body shop in glen burnie, md and I would have expected more with it being his personal boat at the time. While the paint is laid nice and doesn't have orange peel/runs, he definitely just masked everything off and painted around it, not even taking the time to remove railings and the such. This is noticeable on a few small spots, but overall the average person wouldn't even notice or have an idea if it wasn't mentioned to them. I'm just kind of anal about that type of stuff and hate when people cut corners.

check8.jpg

All the gauges were replaced when he repainted it, and from what I've been told he actually was in discussions with checkmate about updating the interior.

check5.jpg

It's not in terrible shape, but doesn't match the boat in any way shape or form. The paint really made it look like a newer boat, and the old school interior is just blah with it. We will be updating it with a white/red interior from bow to stern. I'm kind of leaving the design portion of that up to my wife to keep her involved with it.

The boat was originally equipped with a 454, but that got swapped out for a 502 magnum. Unfortunately, it seems that the ex of the girl I bought this from wiped the motor out before going back to her, or it was hurt already. I'm kind of leaning towards operator error on the damage, as most commonly when I've seen damage like this it was low oil level resulting in decreased pressure further from the pump. When I first got the boat, there was no dipstick in the engine, and when I sticked it with some filler rod it was bone dry. I did get the engine running after replacing the starter, but there was a noticeable knock, and opening the oil filter confirmed it was internal engine problems. I discussed the problems with the girl that was selling the boat and we came to an agreement on it. I'm thankful she was trusting enough that she let me take this after giving her a deposit, because I had suspicions with what I had seen, and it saved me alot of money in the end. I would probably be a quite bitter person at the moment had I paid what she was asking and then found these issues.

So far I've just been working on cleaning it up and dismantling stuff. The rear seat was completely rotten on the one side, so it came out, along with the seat base. As they've added stuff to the boat over the years, I don't believe anybody gave any thoughts to servicing stuff. Just little things like drilling an 1/8" hole just big enough for the wire to go through, and then crimping an end on it.

After removing the entire rear seat from the boat, I found the sending unit for the tank in pretty bad shape... all 5 screws are stripped and it wasn't sealing up, nor was it even connected. With it sitting off to the side, and the boat sitting around for 2 years, I looked in it to find a wonderful 70-75 gallons of watered down fuel. Need to drain it all and dispose of it, just going to take awhile to drop it off 5 gallons at a time. I will be retapping the tank so that I can secure the sending unit, and the wiring will be repaired when I rewire everything else on the boat.

I also found my rear hatch motor to be drawing fairly significantly on the battery. They originally had it wired in constant and it was sucking 1.5amps constantly. The motor still works great, so if I don't come across a replacement right away once the other stuff is fixed I will relay isolate it to fix the current draw.

After the rear seat was out of the way and my chest healed up from pulling a muscle from putting the starter in, I decided I wanted more room to work so nixed the 2 rear storage boxes in the engine compartment. This gives my tall lanky ass enough room to lay down next to the motor and work on it when needed. This proved to be a great decision as I was taking the engine out.

I had been waiting on a friend at work in the marine division to get some time to come over my parents house and we could use his crane truck to lift the engine out of the boat. None of my stuff could reach up and over at the garage. Our schedules never matched up, but luckily some of the truck and transit guys decided to work this weekend at the shop. I took that opportunity to tow the boat up there and use our overhead cranes to get it out.

I've never worked on a boat before, so alot of this was a learning experience in how these installations differ from a car. All in all it took roughly 90 minutes to get the engine out of the boat from start to finish. Loaded it up in the back of the truck and back to the house we went to get this thing on a stand and start tearing it down.

You will note a total lack of pictures from all of this work up above, as generally once I get started on something I don't break for much of anything lol. I do have some pictures for the next post of tearing down the engine, which I'll put up tomorrow once I finish pulling the crank out.

Looking forward to watching your progress:cheers: It looks like a good platform to build off of and should be awesome when you're done!

Looking forward to seeing it next year at the "Bash":bigthumb:

Looks like you are on your way to building a great boat! Glad to hear the price was right for the condition.

So last weekend I tore into the boat, got the motor pulled out up at my shop, brought it home, and up on the stand it went

IMAG0136.jpg

Started removing goodies, motor looks like it had a bit of aftermarket parts in it, stock rotating assembly, but upgraded valvetrain

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

Unfortunately, it wasn't so pretty once I got down to the crank

IMAG0145-1.jpg

That was the sight inside of the oil pan as it came off... closer look at least made me realized he didn't intentionally do this, most likely not watching the oil level of the boat since it was the #1 and #2 rod bearings

IMAG0142.jpg

You can see the discoloring on the 1+2 rod caps in this pic... crank seemed to fair rather well given the circumstances

IMAG0146.jpg

All in all the crank should be salvageable. I don't like how hot it got, you can see discoloring on it as well too from the heat. It is also slightly bent as I can feel it ever so slightly while spinning it in the main's. I don't have a good set of v-blocks at my father's garage to see how bad it is, but straightening a big block crank is apparently no rare occurance from talking to quite a few friends.

Hoping to get over another buddies house tomorrow to look at one of his old backup motors. It gets me into something more comfortable for me to work on (efi that is), has some quite nice internals in it and big loud shiney thing that whines hanging off the side. Right now it's a toss up as I have 3 guys interested in this 502 even with it's damage and I can get this other motor, already freshened up with new rings, bearings, valve springs... all ready to drop in for 5500. It's even coming with another set of gil offshore manifolds, risers, and all accessories. I just don't know a good value for that 502 in the condition it's in. The heads look good, the cylinders are beautiful, no taper, great crosshatching still (would still hone them to be on the safe side). For the current motor to really make me feel comfortable I'm probably looking at 4000 with odds and ends (oil pan, timing cover, new cam, yadda yadda). Anyways, enough rambling, hopefully more pics info after this weekend (hell may be running again by monday)

Im thinking that the blower motor sounds perfect.....

I'm definitely leaning towards it. I haven't actually seen the engine yet but my father has and says it's clean as hell and everything is on it. Hoping to take a peek at it today or tomorrow and figure out a game plan. I also think it's in my best interest to order new mounts too as the ones in the boat have definitely seen better days. I'll toss up some pics and more info on it once I get it... to quote my father...

"it has some good stuff in it but you'd understand all of that way better then what I do"

Well on I can say that I haven't gotten near what I've wanted to have accomplished on this thing by now... but progress has been getting made at least.

The holdups... well I've got 2 friends building cars from the ground up, helping my father with the Duster (just got done rewiring that thing from headlights to tail lights, finishing up new interior and had to make some alterations to the roll cage for him)

So the status on the boat.... the procharged 502MPI didn't turn out to be the deal I wanted. I was looking at 6k for the complete engine with procharger and aftercooler, but the 'great condition' I was told previously included a hole in a piston. I don't skimp on stuff like that, so by the time it got completely torn down, all rebalanced, resealed, yadda yadda I was probably looking at closer to 8-9k in the boat, which was out of my budget at the time. This also would have left me with a stock 502 with just a blower on it, and anything further down the road would have required significant work anyways.

So what did I do... my 502 block was in great shape. Outside looked terrible but the machine shop said internally it was one of the cleanest lowest wear blocks they've ever worked on (backs up the roughly 50-75 hours this motor apparently had). Instead of turning the crank and just replacing the 2 damaged rods and pistons, I opted for a fully forged Eagle Street/Strip 540 cubic inch stroker setup. Should give me a better basis to work and I don't mind having a bottom end capable of holding over 1000hp in the boat either. Gives me that breathing room if I ever decide to put 2 hair dryers on it.

Anyways, the block and rotating assembly are at the garage. The other projects are JUST about wrapped up, and it's time to get working on this thing again. I probably won't even touch the interior this year except for the rear set and sunpad. The rear seat is gone it was in such bad shape so I don't have a choice for it.

My only decision now is what heads to put on it. I'm thinking of some Brodix heads but may just keep them stock for now until I decide if it's getting power adders or not.

I'll get some updated pics of the cleaned up block and ridiculous internals I'm putting in this boat for this season :rof:

necro thread since it's ACTUALLY going back together....

So yea... the basic rebuild didn't pan out... I've never been able to do that in the past, so I'm not sure why I thought I could do it now... but just for giggles....

502 magnum, bored .030 over, eagle 540 stroker kit installed
454-r victor intake manifold
1050 dominator
afr 325cc heads
custom cam from marine kinetics
converted to dry exhaust
all new wiring throughout entire boat

and lots of other little knick nack goodies laying around. Taken awhile, but I'd rather do it right, once, and not have to mess with it again right off the bat. I learned early that going cheap or half assing a project only leads to headaches

You going to make the Chesapeake weekend this year

if I remember how this thing goes back together lol... it's been a long long time since I tore it apart... then dealt with a career change and moving, but if it'll float at that point you're damn right i'll make it :)

Hope its floating by then but if not theres plenty of open seats if you want to come hang out and meet some people. You still in the essex area?

Just to prove I haven't forgotten about this thing (and that I'm entirely too anal and can never leave anything as is...... :pissed::pissed:)

so lets see what I started with back in 2012..... :rof:

Living in a tiny house out in middle river with no room for the boat there so working on it was a pain.

IMAG0136.jpg

Out of the boat came this rusty corroded monster from sitting. Through working on it, damn near all the accessories weren't salvageable, top end was so so, spun bearing on 1 and 2 rod. Can't believe I actually thought I was going to clean that up and get it back in the water fast for not too much money/work....

image1_zpsbb5y7bm6.jpg
IMG_1203_zpssajd76de.jpg

IT IS FINALLY FINALLY IN THE FINAL STAGES OF WRAPPING UP.

So my quick and basic rebuild turned into....
A full 540ci stroker kit
forged rods/crank/pistons
afr 325v2 cylinder heads with upgraded valves
arp studs
cometic MLS headgaskets
marine kinetics cam
scorpion 1.7 rollers
webber stud girdle
new polished cast valve covers
victor 454r intake
hardin full serpentine conversion kit
fresh water cooling on new setup
stainless sea water pump
new fluidamper
milodon cover and timing pointer
all stainless hardware everywhere, mostly arp

I mean the freaking list goes on... but I think I'm finally done and finally happy with the combo. I'm waiting on a new harness with 6' pigtails to arrive so I can make a new engine harness and then I'm going to test run it on the stand. Right now the accessories are just on because I wanted to see them (and justify all that freaking money I spent on that... hardin is quite proud of that setup)

I'm thinking there's a chance I may finally get this boat wet this year. It has been SOOOOOOO much easier since I moved in February. The difference of walking out to a fully capable garage anytime I want compared to 1.5 hour round trip to work on it has been a god send. The new job is quite the help too though I did lose the ability to easily put the motor back in with a huge overhead crane when it's time.

That said, be prepared for tons of annoying posts over next few weeks as I figure out how this goes back together. It does feel good though breathing life back into an old girl like this though.

Yea right now it's little odds and ends that keep holding me up. Like for instance I didn't get a woodruff key with the new crank. The timing set came with one, but the pulleys and balancer did not... and apparently that's not a thing ANY local store wants to carry anymore... so I had to order one online.

Then my stainless bolt kit wasn't the right bolts for those aftermarket cast covers so I had to order those from mcmaster, blah blah... but I keep making progress steadily these days which is better then it has been in the past.

Back