• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Anchor / Line storage

illMATTic

How do you guys stow your anchor and line?

My anchor decided to let itself go this past weekend. I just picked up a new one with quite a bit more line. How are you guys handling large amounts of anchor line?
My last one was probably 50'. Many times that was not enough in the bay. I just delt with that amount but 100' I'm sure will be a nightmare.

Mine is on the floor of the cabin until I come up with something better - need some kind of "case" for the anchor so I don't end up with holes in the carpet. 100' of line coils and stores ok, but tends to knot up. May look at one of the plastic holders you can get for electrical cords to wrap it up on.

I just found out the plastic cord reels hold 75' of 1/2 anchor line. (actual test) My buddy used one for a while. It looked like a hassle at times.

I may be able to get away with that.

I was stowing mine on the port side of the engine bay along with my bumpers.

Hi Matt,
What type of anchor you using. Always liked a 15 lb navy anchor for the starflite, last spring I went with a danforth anchor rated for up to a 28 ftr with a rubber coated 6 ft chain lead and a 50' rode. Everything works great, I usually anchor in 10' and feed out entire line. Pulling it in from behind the drivers seat coiling it my feet, wash the anchor, bring it over and set it the small tray under the hatch with plenty of wash towels under it, having the rode coiled already, I wrap it once or twice set on top of the anchor. (just thinking thou, I'm usually alone or +1 and you have a boat load most times) and I have a 2nd 50 of line if needed.
But what I really wanted to say was, with that new danforth I took my trusty little belt sander and sanded every raw edge smooth even the U clamp to the chain. 1 less thing to worry about. And yes I had an anchor that was able to set itself free too!
P.S. get ur ass down to St.Clair or Erie & PIB :D

Last edited:
I always kept mine in the side plywood storage area in engine compartment. Coiled the rode in backwards on bottom (starting from free end and ending with anchor shackle on top.) Anchor then sat on top of the rode. I would pull out anchor and only pull out as much line as I needed keeping rest in the compartment. I think I had 100-150 feet of line in there. If I anchored off of bow, I just ran the rope along the side rail and shut hatch on rope. I do that on the new boat except I keep it under the back seat area. Rode comes in and out easily every time.

I imagine you could find a nice plastic tote to fit inside and hold it all.

Cool. I am sure ill keep the anchor where it was before. I thought there may be a better way to handle the line. Sounds like I was doing it the only way. Ha Ha

Jeff, I too used the 15lb navy anchor on the Flite. I have a danforth now. Im just trying to make it easy on my wife. She is usually the one grabbing the anchor and stowing it. She does a great job now but just want to keep it smooth.

I use one of those lightweight nylon dry sacks for camping. I coil the rope up stuff it in the bag and cinch it tight at the top of the anchor. Then I toss it all under the bow or back seat.

You all have it easy! My engine hatch is only as large as the engine and I cant access the rest of the engine compartment to store things unless I remove the back seat. My anchor is stored in a compartment in the bow where the only access is by crawling to the end of the V-berth removing the anchor and line and then shimmying backwards with everything in hand. :brickwall:

It almost makes me want to cut a hole in the top of the deck so I can access the anchor from the deck instead of crawling.

Attachments

• BOAT2.jpg
    BOAT2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 7
You all have it easy! My engine hatch is only as large as the engine and I cant access the rest of the engine compartment to store things unless I remove the back seat. My anchor is stored in a compartment in the bow where the only access is by crawling to the end of the V-berth removing the anchor and line and then shimmying backwards with everything in hand. :brickwall:

It almost makes me want to cut a hole in the top of the deck so I can access the anchor from the deck instead of crawling.

I think I would section the back seat backrest into three pieces with the centre section as wide as possible and hinged to flip up. That way you could access the front and sides of the motor as well as the area under those steps for storage.

My Pulsare back seat is going to get a similar change to it for the same reason.

I only carry 50 ft of line but coil it up like Ron and under the rear seat. The engine compartment always scared me if it were to jump into the exhaust or belts would really blow. I Try to not ever get it out unless we are at a Higgins lake sandbar !

I use the ski rope holder similar to the electric cord one and wind it up when the rope is dry.
I took out all the storage bins in the engine compartment. I didn't want anymore weight back there and it's great for working on everything.
I lift the bottom of the back seat up and drop the anchor in with the rope and even have 2 large bumpers in there.
It helps a little to counter the weight of the dual batteries on the other side of the bench.
I wish they would have mounted the dual batteries on the passenger side.
Boat always lists to the starboard side especially when loading on trailer

Back