• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800SX Outboard Restoration Begins!!!

I think I know what you should call this boat

" never satisfied "
:poke:

Let's call it the never ending work in progress! Eventually I'll stop making changes....for a while....til some other interesting motors cross my path.....I would love a pair of 300xs' s but I would have to reduce my setback and maybe switch to a floatation box setback to offset the weight of the Optimax motors...but I guarantee the boat would exceed 90 mph!

Jup, you were talking about balance on these 25/28 OBs. Look how well balanced the Ocean Outboard 2800 SX boat ran back in the day. While my 30' OB was fast, I never did get the set up right to run in the rough before I sold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQUePDhRI30#t=89

As I stated earlier, here's a perfect example of the 2800 running Gil 24" setback brackets but bare in mind that this video shows the boat running in excess of 70mph. At those speeds there is no porpoise in the hull and they will run and fly level!

Attachments

• FL0762PJ.08.jpg
    FL0762PJ.08.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 44
  • FL0762PJ.01WWW-2.jpg
    FL0762PJ.01WWW-2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 40
Correct me if I'm wrong forum, but I'm fairly certain no one is/was adding weight to any race boats unless there is a minimum weight limit to meet.
I read it as what your saying. Only the guys looking for cruise speed handling are adding weight. The race boats are letting her fly.

"Correct me if I'm wrong forum, but I'm fairly certain no one is/was adding weight to any race boats unless there is a minimum weight limit to meet. "

Seef, I'm no expert but have seen race boats w- lead shot or sand bags in the nose to keep it down in the rough (or w- a lighter fuel load at the end of a race). Also, some boats will run a plastic water tank in the nose w- a two way check valve/pump to add or delete weight during a race.

Jup, are you looking at 250 hp 3.0L ers?:banana:

Re-rig #3 has begun! Low hour 3.0 Liter 225 carb motors (about 240hp) are hung. Installing new Teleflex Extreme shift and throttle cables and possibly a new helm so I can delete the old school pressure tank. Next step will be to pull the power heads, remove the 5" spacers from the mids and turn the motors into 25" motors from 30". Motors will remain at 24" centers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 28
Re-rig #3 has begun! Low hour 3.0 Liter 225 carb motors (about 240hp) are hung. Installing new Teleflex Extreme shift and throttle cables and possibly a new helm so I can delete the old school pressure tank. Next step will be to pull the power heads, remove the 5" spacers from the mids and turn the motors into 25" motors from 30". Motors will remain at 24" centers.

Not sure why my pics are sideways...damn new phone...maybe a moderator can turn them right side up!:lol:

I'm not sure what's up with the pictures. I rotated the pictures but still come in sideways. I'll ask Chris what would cause that.

I have that problem on a difference site after I got a new phone. If I opened pix in paint, and shrank them by 50%, then uploaded , they were fine. Never had an issue with full size on a 2nd site
No idea why it did this, but maybe worth a try

After having a great time on my Pulsare 2400 Bowrider last sunday, it was time to start moving on my beloved 2800SX Outboard again. Some great progress made today. Pulled the powerheads, ran new shift cables, ordered some solid upper mounts and a new swivel pin for the port motor. The starboard swivel pin has already been replaced and looks brand new. Powerheads came off easily..only had to cut one stud. Did a trial fit for the oil tanks and they will mount under the rear bench seat. Looking forward to running some 3.0L Mercs on the old girl for a change!! Once again, a big shout out to Nick's Creative Marine for all the help through the years!!

Attachments

• 225 A.JPG
    225 A.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 225 B.JPG
    225 B.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 225 C.JPG
    225 C.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 33
I can tell you that at my fastest speeds since I've owned my 2800 (72+mph) the boat was rock stable and begging for more power. It felt right on the edge of riding up on the pad and loosening up. At 50mph or more there is absolutely NO porpoise and I run NO trim tabs..I'm really looking forward to seeing how the boat responds to the torque of the 3.0L Mercs and hopefully make some prop changes to take advantage of the additonal hp and torque!!

JP - Were you running 26P Mercury Chopper props up to 6200 rpms or so? Do you think you'll be able to spin 30's with the extra 25 HP and torque of the 3.0L?

JP - Were you running 26P Mercury Chopper props up to 6200 rpms or so? Do you think you'll be able to spin 30's with the extra 25 HP and torque of the 3.0L?

DT, the motors are more like 240hp each and I'm only adding a total of about 66lbs of weight over the 2.5L Mercs. The gear ratios are different though. I'm going from 1.87's in the 2.5's to 1.75's in the 3.0L Mercs. I was spinning my 26P Choppers to about 6400/6500 rpm with the 2.5's. I think I should be able to spin some 28 choppers with no problem with the 3.0L motors or maybe switch to Bravo One 4 blades. I will start out with the 26P choppers just to get a baseline comparison to the 2.5L Mercs. I know I gps'd the boat with a full tank, 90 degree weather and flat sticky water at 66.55 mph this summer...

I've run as fast as 73 with Bruce driving with low fuel and basically nothing in the boat. That wasn't by design it just was Spring time at 60° and I haven't filled my boat full of crap yet.

I ran 71 with low fuel, different props on An over cast July 3rd. Lately I've been running 66 with same props loaded up and hot humid weather.

I want more speed and I'm thinking of my next move to get there. At 66 I'm bored but at 70 I feel everything starting to lift and it becomes fun. Something breaks free at about 68 - 70 on my boat.

I've run as fast as 73 with Bruce driving with low fuel and basically nothing in the boat. That wasn't by design it just was Spring time at 60° and I haven't filled my boat full of crap yet.

I ran 71 with low fuel, different props on An over cast July 3rd. Lately I've been running 66 with same props loaded up and hot humid weather.

I want more speed and I'm thinking of my next move to get there. At 66 I'm bored but at 70 I feel everything starting to lift and it becomes fun. Something breaks free at about 68 - 70 on my boat.

Before my new cabin installation, the boat ran 72+ with a gutted cabin, 2.4L Mercs, 18" centers, Bob's lowers and the 26P choppers...the hull does ride up on the v-pad once you hit the 70's and it frees up quite a bit. It almost feels like a BIG Pulsare 2100. You can feel it wiggle around on the pad with the nose flying nice and level like in the pics below:

Attachments

• 2800 RR 2014.jpg
    2800 RR 2014.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2800 WITH ME AND ANN.jpg
    2800 WITH ME AND ANN.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Aired out 2800 RR2014.JPG
    Aired out 2800 RR2014.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 26
I hope you have better luck with those style upper mounts than I did and than my buddy and his son did. The clamshell that sits over the mounts is thin, cast crap, and tends to break apart and leave the motor flopping around. The best solution is a 250xB exhaust chest but of course that is very pricey. The Simon Motorsports billet upper mount is second best but when I did that I had problems with the 3 8mm bolts that hold it down breaking. I ended up drilling and tapping the mount and chest to accept 3 7/16" coarse thread bolts. Hopefully you have better luck than I did but definitely keep an eye on those upper mounts. Shake the motors around and look back at the regularly.

Back