• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

SCT's 1969 Checkmate V191 Raceboat restoration.

Got the last 1350 rewired and ready to see if it will start....
Ok, got a question, is that a CDI wiring harness and if so, what did you do with the orange wire and did you have to add a separate wire from the red terminal to the plus side of the battery????? This is on a 1971 short shaft 115 Merc. Also, did it start???

Lots of good stories and memories this weekend. If SCT and I lived closer together we'd be a dangerous team.

One day, he shall be flying the Persuader jet. :sssh:

I was checking out the original fuel tank from the race boat, tonight. Seems to be in good shape for being 49 yrs old. Pulled the float, replaced the gasket and checked out the inside of the tank (very clean). Any suggestions on how to clean the oxidation and stains off the exterior? I rubbed a little medium grade compound on it w- little results.

Thanks-

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 34
I was checking out the original fuel tank from the race boat, tonight. Seems to be in good shape for being 49 yrs old. Pulled the float, replaced the gasket and checked out the inside of the tank (very clean). Any suggestions on how to clean the oxidation and stains off the exterior? I rubbed a little medium grade compound on it w- little results.

Thanks-

Good stuff right here: https://www.marine31.com/marine-31-stainless-steel-polishing-soap.html

Reactions: SCT
Got the second 1350 block back from my engine guy. Painted her up and dressed her out. I'm lucky to live semi close to one of the best inline 6 Merc guys in the SE. I thought my 1350 SS was all original but the mechanic found that the bores were .030 over and had Wiseco pistons. Sure wish I had a freakin boat to put these beautiful engines on.....

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Wow, this thread is two days short of 3 years and I still have no boat.

Last edited:
I know this info comes late but I use a liquid called Alum-Brite. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes and hose it off with water. Amazing stuff. Detailers working on semi trucks use this on the aluminum trailer bodies to make them glisten.

Wow 3 years! I would seriously think about getting it over to Checkmate. Maybe they would be able to get it back to you by spring 2019.

A little update: Received 2 sets of beautiful solid motor mounts from Bob’s Machine Shop yesterday. Can’t wait to install them:thumb:

Attachments

• BFD49B90-68A6-4CC3-8A68-D2ABD470A1F0.jpg
    BFD49B90-68A6-4CC3-8A68-D2ABD470A1F0.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 29
Making some progress....paint should be done in a few weeks and let the rigging begin!

Attachments

• IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 45
Yes, He has been rounding up and restoring a pair of 1500 Mercs for it. I think I saw a picture of one of them in this thread but... my memory is not what it once was.

Back