• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mercury 450 HP

it was in a national boating magazine, but who knows, I asked Chris to remove it just in case it is bs.

Mercury Racing 450R

The Mercury Racing 450R should be a hit with sport catamaran and high-performance center console buyers who want the company's most powerful outboards engines—and are willing to pay for them.
Here are several key things you need to know about the new 450R: It produces 439 foot-pounds of torque—some 40 percent more torque than the Mercury Racing 400R outboard—and at 689 pounds, it is reportedly 300 pounds lighter than its nearest competitor.It runs on 89-octane fuel. Its proprietary 64-degree aluminum block is topped with aluminum cylinder heads with a Mercury Racing Quad Cam Four Valve (QC4) design and double overhead camshafts (DOHC). The valve train features a high-performance intake cam profile and race-spec Inconel exhaust valves. The camshafts are chain-driven and run in an oil bath so there is no timing belt to maintain.
It has an operating range of 5,800 to 6,400 rpm and features Mercury’s Adaptive Speed Control system—with a special custom Mercury Racing calibration—for better docking manners with high-pitch propellers as well as responsive throttle response for powering over rough seas. It comes with a three-year limited factory warranty and can be purchased with an additional five years of Mercury Product Protection.Depending on options such as a SportMaster surfacing gearcase or a fully submerged 5.44 HD gearcase it will retail for $54,000 to $64,000.
Key components of the 450-hp outboard include its supercharger, intake cam and SportMaster lower unit.
That final item—the asking price—is sure to raise a few eyebrows. But if you want to play, you have to pay, and for those who don’t need the biggest and baddest outboard offered by Mercury Racing, the more congenially priced, naturally aspirated 250R and 300R V-8 outboards and supercharged inline six-cylinder Verado 00R outboard are still in the company’s lineup. The 450R's hefty sticker price also provides a measure of price protection for the still-white-hot Verado 400R, which lists in the high $30,000 range. Buyers who want the 450R will have to step up and dig significantly deeper into their wallets. For those who aren't willing to take that big of a step, the 400R is still plenty of engine.
And Mercury Racing has plenty of 450R outboards right now available for order and delivery. According to Stuart Halley, the company's general manager, there are "literally hundreds" of finished 450Rs boxed and ready to ship.

Attachments

• mercuryracing400r-09.jpg
    mercuryracing400r-09.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 4
As nice as it is I can’t believe what it’s come to price wise, that’s double the price of a new 20” black 400R, that’s the price of a fully loaded brand new Range Rover Discovery, hell for 20k more you could’ve probably bought the 2400 BRX with the 400R at the Miami boat show. A few months back I was like “what if I sold my 2 300XS’s and when they come out I’ll buy 2 450’s for my TUFF and get into the 110mph club” but dang for the price of 2 you could probably buy my TUFF..... I’m flabbergasted.

I remember back in 93 going to Jan’s sport shop (checkmate & fishing boat store) and they had a 1st generation 2.5 cle from mercury performance on a stand in the show room. I stood there in awe just oodling it for 10 minutes. Fast forward 3 years and I purchased the boat that excact 2.5 was bolted to. I’m just thinking maybe I should look for local Mercury Dealer in the tri-state area (MI, OH,IN) and pay their showroom a visit! You never know I might get back into OB’s.😎

If there was a Checkmate dealer somewhere near me and if any of the Checkmate dealers actually had any inventory. I could stare at a 2400BRX with a 450R all day long for a week. But it would not matter or mean anything because the asking price is killing me.

I would imagine a lot of pre-loved 400R motors will be coming on the market soon.. I might have to keep my eyes out for a low hour, 20" 400R and replace my Verado 300 Pro on my Pulsare 2400 Bowrider!! :devil:

I would imagine a lot of pre-loved 400R motors will be coming on the market soon.. I might have to keep my eyes out for a low hour, 20" 400R and replace my Verado 300 Pro on my Pulsare 2400 Bowrider!! :devil:

That would be a great upgrade, It will totally change the ride and handling of that hull, in a very positive way !! I hope you have luck with your search.

As nice as it is I can’t believe what it’s come to price wise, that’s double the price of a new 20” black 400R, that’s the price of a fully loaded brand new Range Rover Discovery, hell for 20k more you could’ve probably bought the 2400 BRX with the 400R at the Miami boat show. A few months back I was like “what if I sold my 2 300XS’s and when they come out I’ll buy 2 450’s for my TUFF and get into the 110mph club” but dang for the price of 2 you could probably buy my TUFF..... I’m flabbergasted.

James, I totally agree with you 100%. When I bought my 2400 a 350 Sci, without a sporty, was $28k vs. the $22k for the 300pro I ultimately ordered. The 400 was $32k, with the sporty, when it came out a year later in 2015 when I bought it. So, the cost for 50hp went from $4k to $28k? Whoever justified that margin and its sales potential, is top dog at Racing for sure! But had the 450 only been say $6-10k more than the 400, more than likely I would have one on order by years end.
At the same weight, the 400 is still the real bargain, and a long proven platform at that. And if you have twins, $60k more for only 100hp is definitely hard to justify imo.

I thought the same scenario would play out with a bunch of 300xs motors flooding the market:rof: But Merc can’t seem to supply the new 300R in any real useful way, so everyone is hanging onto their 300xs’. Might have to wait a while for those 400R’s

I think our 20” short shafts 400R’s are a rarity, I tried looking for a pair for a friend in Sweeden and the’re non out there, I’m still looking, even thought if I’d find one for him then I’d sell him mine to make his pair and buy the 450 but those prices quickly changed my mind, even thought maybe you’d sell your 300 and I’d sell you my 400 and I’d buy the 450 but dang to much mula, even if Greg at Eden would give us a super dealer price and I’d get 20k for my 400R I’d still have to come with 30k + rigging...... nah just can’t cut it...... oh crap where’s my Loto ticket. :rolleyes:

James, I totally agree with you 100%. When I bought my 2400 a 350 Sci, without a sporty, was $28k vs. the $22k for the 300pro I ultimately ordered. The 400 was $32k, with the sporty, when it came out a year later in 2015 when I bought it. So, the cost for 50hp went from $4k to $28k? Whoever justified that margin and its sales potential, is top dog at Racing for sure! But had the 450 only been say $6-10k more than the 400, more than likely I would have one on order by years end.
At the same weight, the 400 is still the real bargain, and a long proven platform at that. And if you have twins, $60k more for only 100hp is definitely hard to justify imo.

Yup I totally agree as well Señor Jeff. ^^^

Reactions: jjg
I think our 20” short shafts 400R’s are a rarity, I tried looking for a pair for a friend in Sweeden and the’re non out there, I’m still looking, even thought if I’d find one for him then I’d sell him mine to make his pair and buy the 450 but those prices quickly changed my mind, even thought maybe you’d sell your 300 and I’d sell you my 400 and I’d buy the 450 but dang to much mula, even if Greg at Eden would give us a super dealer price and I’d get 20k for my 400R I’d still have to come with 30k + rigging...... nah just can’t cut it...... oh crap where’s my Loto ticket. :rolleyes:

Our 24’ SOB’s are also a rarity these days as well. Back in the day there wasn't a large enough OB for a hull of this size. Merc seems to be gambling on the luxe CC crowd with this price tag.

If you are still looking for a pair of 400r's, a guy named Todd Lamb here in Ohio has a pair for sale. They are brand new still in the crate and I think he is asking $60K. That's 800hp for less than a new 450R!!! :rof:

Back