• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HOW FAST IS YOUR CHECKMATE? EVERYONE!

2012 brx 2000 verado 200 4 cylinder, been 65 gps with 2 people, 3/4 tank of fuel. Running a 25 tempest plus at around 3 inches under pad. I feel like theres more in it as i can turn the 25 up over the 6400 rpm max.

2011 ZT 244 8.2 mercruiser. 79mph with one person. 75mph loaded. Spinning a labbed 28 bravo to 5050rpm.

21pulsare/ 300 pro XS

88mph GPS with stock fleetmaster lower blowing out. Bobs nose cone going on for the spring. looking for 90's

What type of LU is blowing out a TorqueMaster?

Hey FlyBoy, Any blunt nosed lower unit will most likely blow out around 85mph. If you can get to 90mph you're really pushing it. Doesn't matter if its torque master fleet master or anything other than a Sportmaster type lower. Eventually the water gets pushed away in the form of a bubble from the lower and in turn the prop and once that happens look out. The Sportmaster type lower doesn't push the water away as it has that obvious coned front. It also has something to do with the length of the case but the above is true for outboards. Some of the I/Os with longer cases can go above 90 without a coned gear case but for us outboard guys this is how it works. Be safe.

Thanks for the warning. I've decided to ditch the torquemaster for my Titus conned fleet master with the LWP I never had an issue with that up to 86 mph and I don't want one! No issues with water pressure either. When my mechanic was saying that people had to plug the top holes on the torquemaster for water pressure and I'm thinking hey I dont have any issues lets keep it that way! So my unit is a bastard child .... the things we do in the name of performance/speed!

Exciter I/O

I have a 1985 Exciter I/O with a 350 and an alpha one. I was told the engine has a cam in it but don't know any specs. The GPS says Im going 48 mph top speed at 4200 rpm (full throttle). There is a 22m prop on it now. I feel like it is lacking in performance, but the engine runs very strong. Not sure if it needs a different prop or something. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

Reactions: dgs
*UPDATE*

2009 21 Pulsare with 2010 300 Stroker

Got my hands on a 1.63 Sportmaster and after adding another 2" of setback for a total of 12" (I thought I had a 12" but the Seastar on my boat is only 10":brickwall:) also added another 1.5" of available lift.

Im hitting 90 consistently with my 28" trophy pulling 5900-6000 rpms on calm water. Im sure theres more there with the right prop.

Best speed is attained at max lift and max trim which tells me theres more to be found there; Ive got one more hole to go up so That'll be the next step. Another 2" of setback would probably help too, but ultimately Im happy with the way the boat is running now. No more blow outs!

I have a 1985 Exciter I/O with a 350 and an alpha one. I was told the engine has a cam in it but don't know any specs. The GPS says Im going 48 mph top speed at 4200 rpm (full throttle). There is a 22m prop on it now. I feel like it is lacking in performance, but the engine runs very strong. Not sure if it needs a different prop or something. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

4200 rpms is low, What kind of prop is on the boat now? 3-4 blade?, stainless or aluminum?
I would try a 19-21" mirage, tempest, vengeance etc. You want to see around 4600-4800 rpms at WOT.
I would expect with a healthy engine you should see up to 55 mph with the right setup

4200 rpms is low, What kind of prop is on the boat now? 3-4 blade?, stainless or aluminum?
I would try a 19-21" mirage, tempest, vengeance etc. You want to see around 4600-4800 rpms at WOT.
I would expect with a healthy engine you should see up to 55 mph with the right setup

Thank you for your input. Right now it has a 3 blade stainless prop, I'm not sure of the make or model. Most people on this site with the same boat say that the 23" laser II is the way to go. But I'm with you on the fact that that would only make my rpm's lower. I'm going to try and find a 21" prop to test, and see how that goes.

1987 Enticer with 90 HP Mariner Tower of Power. 19 pitch stainless prop.
43 mph on gps with 600 pounds of people and gear.

Would I see much gain with a jackplate? When I'm going fast, especially in chop, I keep it trimmed way down for the most part.

88 starfire

My "old" boat
... Now my son's. Best so far 84.3 gps... running a 23 ballistic right to the rev limiter at 6200. I know what your are thinking... But its no BS. Yee f'in ha! He did everything I always dreamed of doing to the little beastie. Basement built 400 sbc, bravo drive with dual hydraulic steering. If you boat the Grand River or gravel pits up River from Grand Haven... You likely know the boat 😁

Well I don’t have my 251 Convincor anymore😞.... but I do have a pretty unique and cool boat. It’s a 2001 Formula 292 Fastech factory race edition with a Single Innovation Marine HP3 making 575 horsepower. Sill expiermenting with props as I just purchased it this year during this Coronavirus time. Best speeds are 75 mph @5200 rpm turning a 26 P Bravo One. The boat had a little more but I need to learn how to drive it through the chime walk. Very high X- deminsion setup. Propshaft is 1” below the pad and that is with a 2” drive spacer on the Bravo XR. I think there was less than 10 of these boats built.

My 2007 Pulsare 2400 Bowrider with an Atlas 8" hyd. Jackplate and Bravo One 24 has seen a best speed of 72mph GPS light on gas with on person on board. With a two adults and full tank of gas she'll run 66-68 all day long.

My old 2800SX Outboard with twin Merc 250 Efi's, 25" of setback, Bravo One FS 28's ran 76+ mph.

My old 1990 Starflite with a Mercury Pro XB250, 6" jackplate and a Trophy Plus 27 ran 82mph.

My old 1994 Pulsare 2100 with Mercury 225XRi, 13.5" setback and Trophy Plus 26 ran 77mph.

Attachments

• 2800 9.jpg
    2800 9.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 21
  • pulsare turkey.jpg
    pulsare turkey.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 19
  • starflite 2.jpg
    starflite 2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: TMR
So Jup, which one was your favorite? Or are they like women......all are different :banana:

They're all different..I didn't even mention my Spectra 170/Merc 150xri that ran 55mph or my 1997 Pulsare 2100/Merc 250XS that ran 82mph.

The Pulsare 2100 is the most fun for surface ripple and chop.
The 2800SX Outboard was the most fun in big chop and the ocean.
The Pulsare 2400 is the best all around.
The Starflite is the most fun in flat calm water.
The Spectra 170 was the best for small lakes and canals..

:)

Reactions: SCT
2004 270 BR, AETCO 548 making 702 HP
79.0 MPH @ 5500 with a labbed B1 26p, 3/4 tank of fuel and 1 additional passenger. We are still learning the boat and expect it is capable of low 80's.

1998 253 Convincor, 408ci LSX approx 600hp. Hit my personal best of 77.7mph in October at the Caesar Creek Shootout. Since then I have yanked off the carb and am switching to EFI. I'm pretty confident that I will be able to hit 80mph next year once that's all done.

Reactions: SCT
Back