header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Powerplant Technical Discussions > Engine Technical Discussion
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Engine Technical Discussion This is our non outboard engine related technical discussion forum. If your boat is powered by a Inboard/Outboard, Jet drive, V-drive, or even something else, then this is the forum for you! Topics include engine repair and maintenance, modifications, drives and gearcases, electrical and electronics, etc. For technical assistance related to outboards, please use our outboard tech forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
October 2020's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "TuGHiLLBoYs" Convincor Shot! 0 0%
I vote for "Coop's" Starflite! 0 0%
I vote for "jjg's" Pulsare 2400! 2 17%
I vote for "Jup's" Vintage Factory Shot! 0 0%
I vote for "ianz's" Checkmate Rally 2020 shot! 6 50%
I vote for "MsportRJ's" Pulsare 2100! 4 33%
Voters: 12 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
Redboat
Convincor

Redboat is a jewel in the roughRedboat is a jewel in the roughRedboat is a jewel in the rough
Model Owned: 1989 Senator/454

Default Power Steering Problem

I have an 89 Senator with 7.4 litre / Bravo 1

I have a leak in the Booster Cylinder or Control Valve . Of course neither part are available anymore .
Can I just remove the pump belt and still be able to steer ?

I've read on another forum that the replacement ( new design ) has propritary fittings from Mercury that are different from my old hoses .
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Brian
Redboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,469 Times in 819 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant futurekarzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

Default You probably already checked but...

IF Mercury does not have replacement parts or something to substitute in with new hoses, I would check into having the units rebuilt at a hydraulic shop.

Any good marinas or marine shops where you live, maybe they have a fix for this. I think I would shop around a bunch.
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karzrus For This Useful Post:
Redboat (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Redboat
Convincor

Redboat is a jewel in the roughRedboat is a jewel in the roughRedboat is a jewel in the rough

I've got paper towels wrapped around them so I can find out which one is leaking .

I have found seal kits are available .
Old 09-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #4
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,041 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Pop over to Original Marine Surplus and look at their alpha/bravo power steering actuator. Is this what we are talking about here? Says they have 13 of em at 100 bucks each.
Jimway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
Redboat (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
Redboat
Convincor

Thanks Jimway . Those are the new design . Fittings are different . Looked at replacing hoses and the correct hoses for the new design have the wrong fittings for the pump end . Aarg

Good thing I have all winter to figure this out .
Old 09-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Redboat
Convincor

Seal kits no longer available
Old 09-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
Jimway
Ambassador

Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that the older design and the older Corvette share the same components? I seem to remember going this route in the past. What about just having the hydraulic hose guy swap out the proper end fittings to fit the new one. Do you have the component part number so that I can hit up the local parts guy? Look at clevis for part number and tell me if it says 95847.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
Redboat (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
Redboat
Convincor

I just happen to have a 76 Corvette sitting in the garage . I'll have to look tomorrow . I think they are different .
Been searching online for a solution . Might have to look into getting new design control valve / booster cyl and adapting new hoses to the old pump as you suggested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redboat For This Useful Post:
Jimway (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
Jimway
Ambassador

Yeah, I think the C3's used the same control valve so a rebuild kit might fit fit.