header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Worldwide Checkmate Chapters > "Pacific Mates"
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

"Pacific Mates" The Local Chapter for our owners from the West Coast, areas include Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
October 2020's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "TuGHiLLBoYs" Convincor Shot! 0 0%
I vote for "Coop's" Starflite! 0 0%
I vote for "jjg's" Pulsare 2400! 2 17%
I vote for "Jup's" Vintage Factory Shot! 0 0%
I vote for "ianz's" Checkmate Rally 2020 shot! 6 50%
I vote for "MsportRJ's" Pulsare 2100! 4 33%
Voters: 12 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #21
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,041 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Hey Rngr, the soiled part came after we put the Streamliner back in it's spot in the barn. Shark made these jacks that fit in the front and rear of the car to jack it clear of the ground, kind of like you was at the race track and changin tires. Well, she is sittin there with all of the wonderful smells commin off of her, and still radiatin heat waves, and as I was runnin my hands over the rear tire on the left side, I could feel where the tread was seperating from the tire, a very somber moment was had by all present. I figure I covered that four mile stretch in about one minute and twenty seconds, and the tires on the back was turnin over 2000 rpm. Before the somber moment came up, the Shark was beside hisself with glee and tellin me what it looked and sounded like when I flew past on the straight. He said all four headers on the 702 was glowin yellow about a third of the way back. I told him that I had missed that part probably cause I was desperatly tryin to keep the rear tires from goin up in smoke at over 180mph as I was dancin with both the Streamliner and the throttle. Shark remarked that he felt " That was shore some piece o drivin thet ya was doin, mebe even the fastest A've ever seen er go " I did my best immitation at cavelier offhand bragging and said " Big moves always work. They don't call me Big Jim for nothing ". Shark pursed his lower lip and crossed his arms while nodding his head in agreement. Ace nodded and said " Yep ". Now while close to 190 mph in a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick has got to be some kind of record someplace, I can just tell that there is more in there. If my calculations is close, and we can pull 5500 rpm, we are gonna see just shy of 260mph. Problem is, the rear tires is gonna be turnin over 3000 rpm. We got to find some speed rated tires....
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #22
RNGRDVE
Checkmate Guru

Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,508 Posts
RNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond repute
RNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: NONE 1997 253 and 1987 Starfire SOLD

What size tyres you runnin on there. I got some friends that used to run at Bonneville and jus might have something laying aroung for ya.
RNGRDVE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RNGRDVE For This Useful Post:
Jimway (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #23
Jimway
Ambassador

Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rngr, the Streamliner has Goodyear Eagles on it. They are special ' land speed tires', good for 300 mph apparently. When Fast Eddie found out how fast I think I went, he chewed me up and down. When he found out that the tires was speed rated, he let up a little. Turns out them tires is 500 bucks apiece. Funny how goin fast cost money, whether it's a car, boat, or plane. Shark has got a set commin from some Bonneville buddy of his. Were gonna run her next week if the weather improves. Its rainin and blowin around here. The Streamliner is runnin the best it ever has according to the Shark. Starts right up from cold. Seems to idle best at 1000 rpm, but will still idle at around 600 rpm. It's got a 10-71 blower out front with twin 600 Holleys. Aluminum tube feeds to a manifold that bolts to where the carbs used to be. Found some loose connections in the tube where it goes into the bottom of the aluminum manifold, so we are gonna be seein more boost this coming week. Thing is, I don't think we even had the secondarys cracked! You can't take off in this thing and go thru the gears heavy footed, cause the rear tires just spin, even above 100 mph. Shark cant believe that the Streamliner dont leak oil all over the floor of the barn anymore. All three of us been goin thru the Streamliner with the fine tooth comb cause Fast Eddie wants to see it run. Shark is kind of a private type and dont really want nobody hangin around so I'm not to sure how he and Fast Eddie will get on. I would like to make some linkage for the transmission and get rid of a few of them levers....
Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #24
RNGRDVE
Checkmate Guru

RNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond repute
RNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond reputeRNGRDVE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimway View Post
Shark has got a set commin from some Bonneville buddy of his..
If his buddy falls through jus let me know I'd be happy to help out.
Jimway (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #25
Jimway
Ambassador

Thank you for the offer Rngr, Them tires are hard to come by, it sounds like. Looks like we're going to be on Pirellis this coming week. They have tread on them, so this may help the traction issue. Sharks got a few sets of rims for the car. One set a tires say Thompson on em and another set looks like Dunlop. Don't know how good they are though. On the Eagles, it looks like the backs are 28 inches tall, while the fronts are around 24 inches tall. They are an interesting looking tire with no tread, seem to be pretty tough, but kinda skinny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
RNGRDVE (10-23-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #26
Jetmate
Senator

Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,105 Posts
Jetmate has a reputation beyond repute
Jetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 1972 JETMATE 18 FT.

Hay Jim,,, you think them fellers will let you post some pics?
Jetmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetmate For This Useful Post:
Jimway (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
Jimway
Ambassador

Hey Jet, Shark is kinda a private type, but I think I can get a picture of the car on my phone. Shark wants to take it to the salt flats. I think this is a wonderful idea. Lots of OPEN space down there with no other cars, trucks, or motorcycles, or elk, to pass. The thrill of speed and horsepower for me is intoxicating, so much so, that it overcame good judgement for a while. Might even lead to some bragging rights later. Shark did not like Fast Eddie showing up at the four mile mark on the highway, so we only got one run in. Just as well, in my mind, because when I flew by with my foot on the floor of an 82 year old vehicle with an 11 1/2 liter supercharged Truck engine that is, itself, close to 50 years old, I'm pretty sure I got a glimpse of the Grim Reaper standin there with the boys, his jawbone hangin open with a "I can't believe I'm seein this" look on his skull face. Changed out the tires to some Thompson fronts that have tread, and some speed rated Pirellis in the rear. Treaded tires help the lack of traction. Some ballast over the rear axle helped too. Probably rates right at the top on the excitement list. Right up there on the Stupid, ignorant, obsessive, lack of good sense scale too. Seen 4600 rpm on the dail. Don't want to tell anybody what speed that may have been. Darndest thing you ever seen was the way the car was rearin over to the side with the torque from the motor at speed. The scary part came when I let off the throttle to pass a motorcycle that came up from a driveway. My helmit hit the interior fairing so hard, it got a chip in it. Just lettin off the throttle was like slamming the brakes on. Back wash sucked the rider into the other lane. When he caught up at the gas station, he was kinda irate, and told me all about it, but turned out to be a old hot rodder too. Vehicle will need help in the cooling department if it goes to a hotter enviornment. The engine, transmissions, and rear axle get hot enough to burn your hands. I think a coupla back to back runs would result in some parts siezing up. I took a well deserved dressing down from Colonel Fast Eddie, who specifically addressed the triple digit speeds on a public highway, and momentary insanity displayed by all present. It did look like the Shark enjoyed watching me get my just desserts. Fast Eddie give The Shark and Ace some pointers on the car, give me a dirty look, and roared off. Shark is mad at me for invitin someone up without sayin anything to him about it first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimway For This Useful Post:
Jetmate (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #28
karzrus
Diplomat

Thanked 1,469 Times in 819 Posts
karzrus has a brilliant future
karzrus has a brilliant futurekarzrus has a brilliant future
Model Owned: 08 Pulsare 2100br/250xs

I hope your able to figure out some cooling solutions for the car, and get it to the Salt Flats for some runs. I also hope your able to resist the temptation for more highway - speed runs. I don't want to be reading about you in the news for the wrong reasons.
karzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karzrus For This Useful Post:
Jetmate (10-25-2011), Jimway (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #29
RNGRDVE
Checkmate Guru

Check out cool craft they can custom buikd radiators and shrouds to your liking. Obviously you need to add a trans cooler and may I suggest a smaller trans cooler with some type of electric pump to circulate fluid for the rear diff. That should help your cooling needs.
Jimway (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #30
Jetmate
Senator

Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,105 Posts
Jetmate has a reputation beyond repute
Jetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond reputeJetmate has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 1972 JETMATE 18 FT.

She's so fine,,,,,, my 702!!!!!!

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/TwinSix.htm

http://www.kingofobsolete.ca/V12_GMC_KoO_WEBSITE.htm

http://www.rodbods.com.au/V12.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJaDfB4UFM

yea,,, I know it doesn't rhyme. Wild looking engine Jim!
Jetmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jetmate For This Useful Post:
Jimway (10-26-2011), karzrus (10-25-2011), paulsboats (08-21-2012)