header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate Discussion Forums > Powerplant Technical Discussions > Engine Technical Discussion
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Engine Technical Discussion This is our non outboard engine related technical discussion forum. If your boat is powered by a Inboard/Outboard, Jet drive, V-drive, or even something else, then this is the forum for you! Topics include engine repair and maintenance, modifications, drives and gearcases, electrical and electronics, etc. For technical assistance related to outboards, please use our outboard tech forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
August 2020's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "TuGHiLLBoYs" Convincor Shot! 0 0%
I vote for "Coop's" Starflite! 2 29%
I vote for "MsportRJ's" Pulsare 1850! 4 57%
I vote for "jjg's" Pulsare 2400! 1 14%
I vote for John Lamon doing some ice breaking! 0 0%
Voters: 7 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #21
todd goble
Playmate

todd goble is on a distinguished road

Again thank you guys, I took pictures of the wiring on my cap and the engine and boat, but having trouble posting them. I know my #1 wire is at 7 o'clock and my #2 is at 5 o'clock. How do you get the #1 cylinder at top dead center and then should I just change the wires and see what happens? Going back to the lake this weekend.
todd goble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #22
PA-Checkmate
Convincor

PA-Checkmate will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 2002 Convincor 270 496-MAG-HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd goble View Post
Again thank you guys, I took pictures of the wiring on my cap and the engine and boat, but having trouble posting them. I know my #1 wire is at 7 o'clock and my #2 is at 5 o'clock. How do you get the #1 cylinder at top dead center and then should I just change the wires and see what happens? Going back to the lake this weekend.
could remove the valve cover and watch the valves. turn engine, intake opens then closes and then bring crank mark to tdc(0*).

or remove #1 plug, put finger over hole and turn engine over by hand feeling for compression, then set to TDC.

best to remove VC which is more foolproof. and yes just can move wires from where rotor points.

PA-Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #23
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,022 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

You can have the #1 at 7 o'clock right now as long as 843657 follow in that order clockwise until you get to #2. Don't go pulling the distributor just yet unless you have done this type of thing before. Distributor also drives oil pump through a shaft that inserts into the bottom of distributor. Just make sure at this point that rotor points to #1 when timing marks are aligned at crank pulley. If rotor seems to point a little past #1, that's ok. Keep in mind that crank pulley can slip if it has the rubber doughnut in its makeup, so don't completely trust it quite yet. When you get back to the lake take somebody with you that can drive the boat and you reach down while underway and operate the secondaries and see if the engine falls on it's face. If it does, we have some things to check. The engine may bog for a moment while doing this this way but it should eventually start to pull strong fairly quickly. All things considered though, if you were to line up marks right now, put a sharpie mark on distributor body where the number two wire is now and move distributor counter clockwise a couple of teeth so that rotor would point to this #2 mark and move the distributor drive the same amount, and then move wires to the next counterclockwise spot on the cap, you would be set except for setting the dynamic timing again.

Last edited by Jimway; 06-03-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #24
todd goble
Playmate

I have the picture of the cap and wires but I can not post them can anyone help so I can get them up
Old 06-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #25
todd goble
Playmate

So I can't post pictures. So it doesn't matter if my #1 is at 7 O'Clock as long as the order is good from that point?
Old 06-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #26
PA-Checkmate
Convincor

PA-Checkmate will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 2002 Convincor 270 496-MAG-HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd goble View Post
So I can't post pictures. So it doesn't matter if my #1 is at 7 O'Clock as long as the order is good from that point?
correct. can u post on facebook account?

PA-Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #27
todd goble
Playmate

Yes I can my wife will put them on tonight, I am not. where would you like her to post them?
Old 06-07-2020, 10:01 PM   #28
todd goble
Playmate

I went to the lake today and looked over the wires and found out that wires #6 and #8 are crossed. Can I just take the wires off the spark plugs and switch them since they are right next to each other. And my #1 starts at 7 0"clock.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #29
Jimway
Ambassador

Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,022 Posts
Jimway has a reputation beyond repute
Jimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond reputeJimway has a reputation beyond repute
Model Owned: 95 Playmate

Affirmative. That might just make all of the difference in the world. You wouldn't have to move the distributor either, just leave it as is for now. I'm guessing that the engine doesn't idle very well at this point. Swap those wires though and she should smooth right out.
Jimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #30
1954bmw
Enchanter

1954bmw will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 1971 MX15w 115-135 Frankenmerc, 16.6 Sea Ray, 2- 18.6 Sea Rays, 3888 Bayliner, 1973 MX14w 50 merc

Thumbs up

Well, did it fix it???
1954bmw is online now   Reply With Quote