header logo

Go Back   Checkmate Community Boating Forums > Checkmate-Boats Marketplace > Checkmate Listings
Portal Home Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Checkmate Listings This is our forum for listing Checkmates for sale or wanted. Please note that this forum is for member placed Checkmate listings only. For linking to non member listings such as eBay ads, please use our eBay, Internet & Other Listings Forum.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Google Search
Google
Latest Poll
July 2020's Boat of the Month Vote!
This poll is closed
I vote for "TuGHiLLBoYs" Convincor Shot! 0 0%
I vote for "Coop's" Starflite! 2 22%
I vote for "MsportRJ's" Pulsare 1850 2 22%
I vote for "jjg's" Pulsare 2400! 0 0%
I vote for "Jupiter Pulsare's" 2400 Pulsare! 3 33%
I vote for John Lamon doing some ice breaking! 2 22%
Voters: 9 100%
Notices

Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums

Old 05-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
JCraft Chris
Wannabe

JCraft Chris is on a distinguished road

Default 1971 MX-15 Factory Center steer option

Hi all. I am mostly a J-Craft guy but a few years back I found myself with a cool old boat that you will recognize. It's a 1971 MX-15. I thought I'd like to restore it but the reality of too many other project boats has hit home. So I'm selling.
So the nitty gritty details are as follows.

Originally an emerald green metallic with black stripe( I assume) on the bow, it was repainted in automotive all green metallic.

1973 Canadian built 150 hp Mercury Tower of power, and the motor still turns freely but I'm not sure of its health. The lower unit is corroded around the prop hub. Power trim unit is complete.
Under the cowling it looks clean and complete. The previous owner maintained it ran but I haven't tried to start it. I think more harm than good is possible and a mechanic should check old beasts over before an attempt is made.

A special feature of this particular boat is the factory center steering and colour matched fibreglass bucket seat. This was apparently an option for the owner who wanted to test its 70 mph capability ( Advertised!) Apparently this hull held a bunch of class records back then. It has a flat pad on the centre of the hull and was supposed to weigh in under 500 lbs from the factory, probably even less with the centre bucket vs. the standard back to backs. The factory seat base is still in place. An animal got into it and chewed up the foam a bit but otherwise no damage. The original Vinyl is with the boat but dry a a potato chip.

The boat has a cored hull and is still factory original. No ham fisted repairs visible. The transom has a plate and looks tired. Otherwise it is straight and unmolested. It sits on a roller trailer( included) and the bottom is in very good shape. Original lights and Merc trim controls and tach are still in the dash. This boat also has tripod ski bar mounts but no bar( badly rusted and went to scrap).
It has been under cover until this week when I took pics.
It is an excellent restoration candidate. Located in Sutton, Ontario

I'm asking $1,500 Canadian and am willing to entertain offers. PM me if you are interested and I will send pics. I haven't figured out how to share pics from my computer as I don't use any image sharing services.
JCraft Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
1954bmw
Enchanter

1954bmw will become famous soon enough
Model Owned: 1971 MX15w 115-135 Frankenmerc, 16.6 Sea Ray, 2- 18.6 Sea Rays, 3888 Bayliner, 1973 MX14w 50 merc

Short shaft or long shaft Merc???
1954bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:26 AM   #3
JCraft Chris
Wannabe

20 inch. Long shaft. It is a long shaft transom on the boat. probably the original motor installed. It would be $1,500 for the motor alone if it was a 15 incher!
Old 05-22-2020, 12:29 AM   #4
JCraft Chris
Wannabe

But you knew that, already having one!

Tags
150 hp, canada, mx-15, restoration, trailer