• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

04 21' pulsare closed bow

Dirtywork

I'm looking at ordering this boat in two days. Can't afford 300x so I am going to order a 250 3.0 efi. Is this a good set up? How much set back do I need, what props should I try,what kind of speeds can I expect? Will this boat hold up in the medium rough waters of the puget sound? Any info would be great thanks!

I'm looking at ordering this boat in two days. Can't afford 300x so I am going to order a 250 3.0 efi. Is this a good set up? How much set back do I need, what props should I try,what kind of speeds can I expect? Will this boat hold up in the medium rough waters of the puget sound? Any info would be great thanks!

I've got a 21' Pulsare long deck and it handles fine in rough water. Of course it does handle as good as a deeper V boat, but it does fine. As long as you stay on top of the rough water, (around 55mph and above) it rides the best. The 250 should run excellent. I'm running a 225 EFI and a 25" tempest. The motor is set back 6" and at max speed it turns 5800RPM.

Well we have quite a few members running 225's on Pulsares and they seem to run from about 70-75. JW had a bowrider with a 225 promax, bow cover, a bunch of setback and he ran around 73 if I remember correctly. And BBB had his long deck with a 225 EFI recently radared at around 72.

The key with the Pulsare, and most outboard Mates, is getting bow lift. So sometimes a heavier motor with the same HP will actually run faster than a lighter one. Lots of setback also does more or less the same thing. So I'll take a wild guess here. With a 250, a bunch of setback, the right prop, a light load, you might run between 75-80MPH. 80 might be tough, but if everything is dialed in, it MIGHT, be possible.

Regardless, it will sure be a nice rig!
thumb.gif

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to do 80. I had a 1990 186 pulse with a 225 3.0 efi that would do 79. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture of it. I think it deserved to be on this web site. Who knows it might already be!

THIS IS GREAT. YOU GUYS ARE DOING ALL THE LEG WORK FOR ME. I'LL JUST BE PATIENT A LITTLE WHILE LONGER BEFORE I CHOOSE WHAT MOTOR TO HANG ON MY PULARE UNTIL YOU GUYS GET ALL THE NUMBERS DIALED IN!!!
icon_cool.gif
thumb.gif

I agree, I think he'll see 80 or close to it. Is that 250 really that much cheaper than a 300x?

-Craig

For 2004, the 225 3.0 EFI was turned into the 250 EFI. It's a basic motor from the 'normal' line, whereas the 300X is from the Mercury Racing line, that's why the big price difference between the 250 and 300 in this case. The 250 EFI is a LOT of motor for the money. It's not as politically correct as the Optimax motors though
icon_wink.gif
But the Optimax are expensive too.

Just found out they don't make a standard 250 efi3.0 in a 20" shaft. So I will have to go with a 250 xs from the racing division. Do I get a sportmaster gearcase or standard? My 186 pulse ran better without a sportmaster at 79mph. Who knows if it will really get passed 80

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirtywork:
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to do 80. I had a 1990 186 pulse with a 225 3.0 efi that would do 79. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture of it. I think it deserved to be on this web site. Who knows it might already be! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Email the pic to me and I'll get it up.
icon_smile.gif

Dirtywork,
lol.gif
Nice Mate, I here the 250XB puts out 275 HP. They stopped making them, in 02 I think, but if you look around you can get a Merc., or standard reman. with up to a two yr. warranty and save allot! I may know where you can get them, drop me a line if your interested?

I PURCHASED A 1995 MERC 225 EFI(XRI) FOR MY PULSARE 2100 LONGDECK. SHOULD HAVE IT RIGGED BY MONDAY AND IN THE WATER BY FRIDAY IF ALL GOES WELL!!
Eyecrazy.gif
I'LL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED. THE MOTOR HAS LESS THAN 100 HOURS!!

I just found out they make a 250 efi 20"shaft new for 04'. They say its been lightened up,great top end,and was built for the bass boats. Also not a bad price tag. If this falls through I will be in touch inxs. Very curious to here about your boats performance jupiter. Wish I had mine already.

Dirtywork,
Here's a reman. XB for sale http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?70232508
They only give a three month warranty though and its not a factory reman.. I call a big Merc reman dealer, they sell about 400 remans a year, theirs and Mercs remans. Butthey do not do remans on the XBs cause they say they are a hi-poformance motor, Merc Racing I guess? So I would wonder how good a job was done on the rebuild? Also Merc gives a 3 yr warranty on their remans, 2 yrs from Merc Racing, I believe?

Back