• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1960 evenrude 5.5hp fisherman

Burt Kelly

I am new to the forum, so pardon me as I attempt to learn the ropes. I have been working on a clean 1960 Evenrude 5.5. Compression is 90lbs per cylinder, coils have bee replaced as have the pts and condensors and plugs. Carb taken apart and and all passages blown out. Lower unit lube replaced. Motor starts first pull in barrel and idles very well and runs well at high rpm. Responds as it should to lean/rich adjustments on both low and high speed jets. Motor shifts in forward and reverse with prop off in barrel. Put the motor on a boat in the lake, again starts first pull, runs fine in neutral but when you put her in gear it dies right away. Will start in gear and run for about 20 seconds and dies but never develops full power. Anyone have any ideas as I am fresh out. Thanks:confused:

Hi Bert,

Does this motor have the pressurized tank or is it the newer style?

-Chris

It has a single line hose from the tank to the motor with a vacuum operated fuel pump. The tank is not pressurised.

Hi Burt,

You seemed to have checked most things, so what I was thinking is that perhaps it might be a fuel delivery issue and that it's starved for fuel or perhaps you've even got bad fuel.

Have you tried pumping the fuel bulb to see if that keeps it from stalling? Is the bulb soft or hard? There is also a diaphram in the fuel pump that can sometimes get torn.

The other main ideas that come to mind, would be something perhaps not set up right ignition wise. I'm not sure if you got a bum coil or perhaps the points aren't set properly. There is also an advance on those old motors, the linkage is below the stator plate from what I remember.

The site I've linked to below gives really good instructions on those old OMC's. I've got three myself and have used this site many times for tips. :)

http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Evinrude%20Johnson%205.5%20HP%201954-1964%20Ignition%20System%20Tune-up.htm

Let me know if that helps and how you make out. :)

-Chris

Back