• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1978 v-mate,jackplate?motor?

jgoshow

ok..new to this so bare with me,id like to change from the 85 merc with no trim to a 125 or 150 with trim,how much work is this and can it be done by the home mechanic? do i need a jackplate?and if so what type etc.im looking for speed and smoothe ride(if i can get it)not even sure how fast it is now.now you can say im crazy,but i went from 23-28 ft sea rays to a 15 checkmate,and will be moving up slowly,gotta see what the checkmate craze is all about...any info you guys can provide me bout the mate in the pics would be helpful,i guess i found out its a 1978 vmate 1,like i hope i dont bore or bother anyone with all the questions,but im really interested in the mates,and i dont know what it is but the old vintage ones got to me and i cant get away.ebay mate

ok..new to this so bare with me,id like to change from the 85 merc with no trim to a 125 or 150 with trim,how much work is this and can it be done by the home mechanic? do i need a jackplate?and if so what type etc.im looking for speed and smoothe ride(if i can get it)not even sure how fast it is now.now you can say im crazy,but i went from 23-28 ft sea rays to a 15 checkmate,and will be moving up slowly,gotta see what the checkmate craze is all about...any info you guys can provide me bout the mate in the pics would be helpful,i guess i found out its a 1978 vmate 1,like i hope i dont bore or bother anyone with all the questions,but im really interested in the mates,and i dont know what it is but the old vintage ones got to me and i cant get away.ebay mate

Welcome to the board and the mate craze. A newer 125,135 2.0L v-6 merc would be great on that boat. Not much more weight that what you have. A 5-6" manual plate and a nice laser prop would round out the package well. The install is not a real big deal. You will need a lifting ring from merc and a way to lift it. I believe all the electronic connections are the same and your controller will work. You will need to install a water pressure gauge and a trim switch. Not a bad job at all.

Back