• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

" For Sale" 1985 Convincor Twin Outboard

DropTop5.0

I am putting my 1985 Checkmate Convincor Twin Outboard up for sale. This boat has a new Pour-In composite transom, new stringers, floor and carpet. I built this boat to go fast and used some of the best materials. The transom is made from Seacast, one of the best in the business. The floor is made of Okume marine grade plywood and I purchased a 12’ sheet so I had fewer seams. All wood has been encapsulated with fiberglass and resin. To support the go-fast theme I have full Latham Hydraulic steering with a Capilano helm and big Kiekhaefer 280 K-planes. For the K-planes custom brackets were made to make more efficient use of the space under the splashwell. Speaking of the splashwell, the knees were tied to the spashwell with the Seacast material for extra durability along with a welded aluminum plate tying them to the transom.

The standup bolsters are new (wood, foam and skins), the rear seat has new wood but still uses the 1985 skins. It has a decent tunes with a five channel amp, mids, tweeters and a 10” sub. I left the look of the boat original with cabin looking dated because I like it. It is old school cool and that’s what I wanted.

The motors are nothing special, 1995 carbed fishin' motors. They are 20” standard mids and use a Bob’s LWPU and cone. I have two spare 20” mids as well and four sets of props (26P Choppers, 26P Hoss, 24P Bravos, and some old cleavers).

So I bragged about all the work that has been done but there is plenty left to do. There’s a few bumps and bruises here and there. The gel is good but not awesome. It shines up but takes a lot of work to keep it there. Some of the screws like to fall out of the bulkhead and overhead after a hard run. I knocked the plexiglass window out of it last year and have not had a new one made to replace it. The boat has run in the 70’s. I have run it 71 / 72 a number of times with my wife and me, a full cooler and ½ tank of fuel. Sometimes with humid weather and running upriver it only sees 62 – 65 with four people. The magic number is 70 with this thing and it really starts to lift and fly but I’m out of motor at that speed. The motors are old and can be cranky but parts are plentiful and parts are relatively cheap. How many hours you ask? No idea, let's say 500 – 1,000. I know one thing about carbed motors, they have never left me stranded out on the water. I’ve towed some Verado’s home from time to time. :)

I probably have around $35k into it and will let it go for half that. Asking price is $17,500. I am not in a hurry to sell just thinking about doing something else.

You can see pics on the facebookie link below.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/18012742464/?post_id=10156198748402465

Thanks
(six one nine) 972 - O55I

https://youtu.be/7PALzv3N_-Y

Not sure, I’m a hot mess and all over the place. How about a 35’ cig cafe racer. Drive it a couple of years and repower with outboards.

Back