• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

20' Panther

I'm kind of digging this section.

That looks like, new life for a classic hull. I'd love to hear more about this myself.

attachment.php

This thread has a little bit more of the history on them. I guess John, the owner of Quinn's used to buy the old Checkmate molds, when they were going to new models, and then build them as Panthers.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54964&highlight=quinn's

I remember Kip writing once that the Starflite/Starliner molds went to Puerto Rico. Anybody ever hear of any boats emerging from them?
Coop, now that's a mold you need to get your hands on. According to past polls it may be the favorite Mate of all time!

Yep, that looks familiar. Interesting comments on S&F about pads.... I wonder if Panther did anything different to the step hull and almost non-existent pad?

Quinns built panthers for many years, i drove by the place everytime we went to the cottage. they built v mate 1, 2's a couple of sterndrive models and they also built some police boats that the opp used i think they stopped building the boats in the early 90's. i saw 2 bare hulls just north of barrie this summer, they wanted 1000 each

Chris
I remember the OPP or maybe it was the RCMP using small hardtop outboards years back. I think they were yellow in color. Were those Panthers?

I know that boat......

Mark

Not only do I know about the 20ft. Panthers but the picture in your link is my buddy's boat who stores it at my cottage for the winter. That 20ft with the 225 Johnson runs about a true 70. Probably one of the easiest boats I have ever driven at 60. It has a 6-7" Pad and requires very little input from the driver. Hull is an all glass bottom so it is a little noisy inside but it gets right up on top and handles the rough as good or better than most 20 footers.

IZ

Here's a pic of a 20' Panther. It is claimed they were made in Ontario by Quinn's Marine using Checkmate molds. The hull is clearly a Mate(maybe an Enchanter) but the deck doesn't look like any model I know. Anybody know the story on these?
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57988&d=1082743297

Last edited:
The opp boats were white as i remeber and were hardtops with sterndrives. they also had 9.9 kickers on them. they used to do the training on Lake Muskoka out of the Ontario Fire College. The OPP are now using seaswirls.

Hull Info

No Step
No Notch

Just a straigh V bottom with a small pad.

forgot to include this in my previous post.

IZ

The opp boats were white as i remeber and were hardtops with sterndrives. they also had 9.9 kickers on them. they used to do the training on Lake Muskoka out of the Ontario Fire College. The OPP are now using seaswirls.
Then I am thinking of a different boat. They were yellow, and they were outboards, and I am pretty sure it was the RCMP. But other than that I was right on!;)
Hey Janz,
Thanks for the inside scoop. So, what Mate hull is it? Skimate? Enchanter? They are the most likely bets. And does it have a different deck or just a different windshield?

This thread has a little bit more of the history on them. I guess John, the owner of Quinn's used to buy the old Checkmate molds, when they were going to new models, and then build them as Panthers.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54964&highlight=quinn's

I remember Kip writing once that the Starflite/Starliner molds went to Puerto Rico. Anybody ever hear of any boats emerging from them?
Coop, now that's a mold you need to get your hands on. According to past polls it may be the favorite Mate of all time!
Mike told me they went to the Dominican Republic. Yea, I would love to have those molds.

Mike and Kip also told me molds like the Playmate Jet and some of the Pulse's went to Austrailia.

I own it

Hey Mark, that's my boat in the picture you link too. If you have any questions let me know...that's an Old pic by the way...it didnt run 70 with the motor that low LOL

He Panther....

Welcome to the board.... I know that you have enough time at work to add lots to our discussions.

:cheers

Im wonderen about that hull myself. What hp are they rated for and whats speeds have been done in them. I got to think it should go over 0 with more power and maybe a bit more set back. Very nice looking boat. Aaron

Hey thanks IanZ...just what I need...another Forum to spend time on.

I'd show some more pics of the boat to those interested but I guess you can't post pics on this forum eh?

As for the HP...I think they were rated for the 225 that most of them came with. As for speed, mine is the fastest that I know of, but then again there really aren't that many still out there.

The best I saw ever was 70.9 on GPS turning a 27 Shooter at around 5800 rpm I think...but I'm sure someone will tell me that doesn;t work with slip etc etc...right Ian?

Anyway, the boat handles fantastic..pretty much anyone can get in and drive it at 65 regardless of boating experience, over chop etc. Getting that last 5 MPH out of it is a little tougher, but it still handles really well. It does not get loose, chine walk or anything. And that is with the original 1988 dual steering in it.

I think it could handle more power, but you would need to do it with a big torque motor as it does feel pretty heavy.

A little more info

I just got off the phone with John Speath finding out a little bit more on these boats. He worked at Panther for a little while, and left just as they were starting to build this boat.

1st off, the bottom is supposedly an exact copy of the Checkmate Skimate II. The built a completely different deck for it, but left the bottom the same. Here is a link to some pics I found of the SkiMate II

http://wildman78.mysharedphotos.com/my checkmate/layout1/0.htm

According to John they built the I/O version first, and he was part of that build. They they made a different deck mold for the outboard version which is what I have.

According to him they didn't touch the bottom, so the pad on mine is the same as the pad on the 78 SkiMate II in the pictures.

Amazing to me that the boat runs so good for such an old design....

Maybe Coop or one of the Checkmate guys can tell us if the Ski-Mate used the same hull as the Enchanter. I have two Enchanters and they are nice fast boats, 70+ with a 200 is no problem if set up right. I am getting 74 with a Yammi 200 Pro-V. By the way they are both for sale this spring.
F150GT

I'm thinking the Skimate II evolved into the Exciter/Eluder very good hull that almost anybody can drive. The Enchanter/Entertainer is a very close relative of the hull, in fact building them, with out the name on the side of the mold they could almost be confused with each other. Trust me I was a newbie back then. I'm on the lookout for an Enchanter this spring, if the price is right.

Whats the right price? I have two for sale with or withought power.
1979 Blue & Silver Metel flake, solid floor and transome, recleared needs some interior.
1984 Brown & Gold Metel flake, Transome is starting to show wetness, finish is 9 out of 10, interior is nice.
Both will have 225 Yamahas this spring.

F150GT

Back