• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2000 259 Convincer upgrade and resto

Plaineman

Hello all... I am in the process of re-powering my 2000 259 Convincer... I was also in need of a new interior (boat sat for quite a bit with no cover) so the cockpit is pretty much all out. I notice at the back of my gas tank there was some water flowing up from under the tank... If I step on the back of the tank quite a bit of water flows up from the foam. I am guessing that I need to remove the tank and replace that foam. I was wondering if anyone has done this type of work to a newer convincer? I see plenty of posts for work done on older and smaller models. This looks a bit more involved... I figured I would try to at least dry things up while I have the interior removed. I don't see how the center floor panel is to come out... I mean I see the screws but about one quarter of that floor panel runs underneath the bulkhead into my cabin. Looks like a real bitch to pull that bulkhead apart. Has anyone had to do this on a newer convincer... am I in for a nightmare here? Am I asking for trouble if I just leave it? Any insight greatly appreciated.

Thanks

how does the rest of the floor feel? Nice and solid? I'm not very familiar with the Convincors but you usually have to cut out the floor to access the fuel tanks. I'm just finishing up the floor replacement on my 24' Enforcer along with a new motor so I know your pain. My thread is right below yours currently

If you can see that the foam is completely saturated it should be replaced before any more damage occurs. I haven't seen any cases where Someone has successfully dried out the foam. Seems likes once it's in there it is there forever. I'm sure someone will come along shortly that is much more knowledgeable. Good luck!

how does the rest of the floor feel? Nice and solid? I'm not very familiar with the Convincors but you usually have to cut out the floor to access the fuel tanks. I'm just finishing up the floor replacement on my 24' Enforcer along with a new motor so I know your pain. My thread is right below yours currently

If you can see that the foam is completely saturated it should be replaced before any more damage occurs. I haven't seen any cases where Someone has successfully dried out the foam. Seems likes once it's in there it is there forever. I'm sure someone will come along shortly that is much more knowledgeable. Good luck!

Looks Like there are three compartments... the two outer ones are glassed in and feel pretty solid... the tank sits in what seems to be a box they built in the middle of the floor... I had to start pulling the inner bulkhead (cabin side) to get to all the screws for the center floor piece that covers the tank. Looks like I am all in now... I only hope and pray that I do not need to go any farther than this fuel tank compartment. I was ssssoooo hoping to be able to drop her in before July ends. This adds a whole new level. At least I know that the transom is all good and the stringers in the bilge that hold the front of the motor are rock solid. I have also been reading where a lot of people are saying not to replace the foam. I guess I will need a new way to hold the tank in place. And... I thought that foam would be a help if I ever needed to make sure she kept floating.

Anyway... haven't gotten the cover off the tank area yet. I will try to finish tomorrow. I will post some pics. Maybe showing what I had to go through will help others in the future.

Moral of the story... never let your boat sit uncovered. The $800 for a new cockpit cover years ago would have saved me this headache now.

Thanks for your response.

Back