• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

283 Convincor vs 253 Convincor

keystone35

I am looking at possibly upgrading my current boat which is a 261 Four Winns Liberator with twin 350's to either a convincor 253 or convincor 283. Does anyone have any first hand information on the room available to work on the 283 models that have twins. My current boat has a lot of room in the engine compartment and the back seat can easily be removed to get good access to almost anything. Would a 283 model be comparable or more cramped? I like the maneuverability of a twin engine boat in the water but don't want to get into a situation where it is impossible to do any maintenance.

Also what is the difference in deck/cabin space between the two models?

Thanks

Not sure on you’re hull but I consider a 283 twin cramped under the hatch. Engines are tight together, replacing plugs is a PITA. Only easy plug change I did was while the exhaust manifolds were being swapped from factory to Stainless Marine. Lost a little blood on that job.

This is what I'm working with now. I'm assuming the 283 would be much more cramped?

images_big.cfm

https://marinesource.com/boats-for-...tingnmb=100790733&startRow=81&image=101898239

Twin small blocks certainly have more room than twin big blocks in a 283, and looking at the pictures, I'd say both boats are rather similar room wise under the hatch, if that picture was of big blocks it would be very crowded in there.

The problem is you just don't find small block twin 283's very often, most were sold single or twin big blocks.

There's a nice 283 single for sale on FB right now, used to belong to ProblemChild on here.

Thanks for the info, the 300 that is for sale isn't very far from me but it's a little more than I want to spend and I don't need to store two boats for the winter.

Back