• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

300x setup

CJT

I got the 300x set up.Used a 10" set back manual jackplatem, and ran a 28 chopper.It was all over the place above 70 mph.This motor has a 25" mid section and this jackplate didn't give me enough height so I'm putting a 10" hydro on to try.

I got the 300x set up.Used a 10" set back manual jackplatem, and ran a 28 chopper.It was all over the place above 70 mph.This motor has a 25" mid section and this jackplate didn't give me enough height so I'm putting a 10" hydro on to try.

Way to go with that 300x repower...I assume you picked it up used with 25" mid section...My personal opinion is that you should keep an eye open for the correct 20" mid for your boat. That motor is heavy and you really don't want that extra weight up even higher (stability, wind drag, transom load, etc)....The hyd. jack will give time to use the boat with that new power, but you should post your 25" mid up for trades on scream & fly...someone out there will probably swap you even up! Jim.
thumb.gif

I've been on scream & fly, I didn't see any 20" mids.I may try to post it though.I also have a fleetmaster lower unit.We'll see how the extra height works from the hydro jack plate this weekend.Thanks for the input.

I saw Sake's photo of his new 300x.Curious how it'll run.

Let me ask a dumb question.Boes the 300X mean that this motor is a 300hp?Is it a 6 cylinder or a 8 cylinder motor.If its a 300 horse what was so great about that new huge motor,wasn't it rated at 275 on the biggest one?Just curious.

The 300X's are rated at 335hp at the powerhead and 310-315 at the propshaft. The X's are suppose to be alot stronger pulling motor and more rpms then the original Mercury 300 ProMax 3.0L. (I've heard the first couple years of the 300Promax the hp wasn't even close to 300.)

SCT

THE 300X'S ARE THE HOT TICKET NOW. SEEMS LIKE ONLY YESTERDAY THE 2.5'S WERE. I GOT ME ONE OF THOSE YEARS BACK. NOW I ( THE WIFE ) DON'T THINK I CAN AFFORD ONE. BUT SURE BE NICE TO REFIT THE STARFLITE. MERC245

CJT...I was on screan & fly and noticed someone looking at a 300 promax that was for sale but needed a 25" mid set-up...I mentioned that you might be interested in a mid section "swap" and have some responses. You should post it on that sight as a SWAP only topic...you 25" seat-up for a 20" set-up. It's not a hard swap, and can usually be done in an afternoon. The 20 mid is what you need! Jim.
thumb.gif

SCT is right...the 300X is the "HOT" ticket...different injection and higher RPM (600 more) than the 300 pro-max was.

Also, they offered the 300 with an "offshore" mid section...single ram trim unit with pump mounted inside boat, and most others the standard trim & tilt built into the clamp bracket... I don't know the pro's and con's of this set-up. Anyone know???

Jim, What page of S&F did you find that info? I looked a little, but didn't find anything.I looked under buy & sell - misc. parts , lower units etc.Let me know if you have any more info. THANKS
surf.gif

CJT...here's the guy from scream & fly (under outboards for sale...'99 300 pro-max) thats interested in a mid section swap (he is thinking of buying this 99 motor but would need a 25" mid instead of the 20" it has)...might be good plan for you both: Hope this helps, Jim.

mikelph@optonline.net
516-795-6429
516-351-5285

Sake...(Bubba)...I have no idea why they used the two different models. Is yours a 300 pro max or the 300X and what year??? Jim.

Sake,
The off-shore, single ram trim with remote pump is a better set-up. It moves faster than a standard merc outboard trim system and has no restriction on how far up you can go. The standard system will only move to a cetain point while under way and then stops. Basically it's the same pump you'd get with an Alpha 1 I/O.

-Craig

I got on S&F and posted.Left E-mail addresses & phone #'s.Just waiting on some response.I really appreciate all the help!! You guys are the best!! THANKS...
icon_biggrin.gif

Back