• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

89 Senator Restoration

FancyMichael

So, the story begins with a good friend of mine buying the Senator from someone who kept it covered in the off-time. Fast forward 3-ish years, and the poor thing had been sitting outside on a lift, uncovered and exposed to the Florida elements. After some convincing, it became my job to fix her up. Also, per his request, Ill refer to the other owner as "Guy".

So far, I have:
-removed all of the upholstery
-removed all of the carpet + headliner (shoutout to nature for 90% removing the headliner prior to me messing with it)
-removed the speakers and under-dash boxes
-taken out both moving parts for the rear bench, rear bench wood and the accompanying ant nest
-removed the engine lid and hardware (previous owner installed an electric actuator- with mild steel hardware! so rusty...)
-removed rubrail, windows and hand rail
-taken off old pinstriping. Not my idea, But I pushed to keep the Checkmate insignia on the sides :)
-Rebuilt carb and replaced gas-tank fill and vent fittings
-pressure washed all of the old carpet glue off. I know it is risky on fiberglass, but I used a lower pressure machine and tested a spot first, and I assure you no holes were blasted in the hull.

I will not be splitting the hull.

So essentially she is completely naked, besides the engine, outdrive, fuel tank and cleats.

And here is where the questions start:

I have everything that was removed. I didn't pull on the carpet too hard, but I was wondering if there is a source for patterns so that I know what I cut will fit right? Also I plan on keeping the siding and possibly the headliner carpet, but has anyone done SeaDek on the floor? I really like the look of the cut SeaDek that imitates teak planks, but I am hesitant on trying to pattern out the inside of the bow; I prefer to be in there as little as possible.

Next, what are some "modernization" things you all have done for your boats? I don't have a very tuned-in sense of what is modern and what looks retro on boats. Guy says he wants to modernize it as much as possible, but my experience is limited and I felt that most features, like the attwood venturi vents or the Quicksilver gauges, were fine.

Finally, if anyone has done this kind of work on a Senator and you have some tips you feel like sharing, please let me know!

Thanks for any advice, ill get pictures soon, and sorry if your eyes hurt form so much reading.
~Michael Shoemaker

P.S.: future posts shouldn't be this long :bigthumb:

Back