• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Anyone ever flip their boat in the water?

ivanh32

I finally got my Predictor running proper with CMC power trim and have been getting used to cutting super tight turns and screwing around. Has anyone ever heard of flipping one of these smaller mates over while cutting a doughnut? It's pretty cool cutting it so tight basically having the boat sideways, but i always back out because it feels like it might roll. Would the prop just come out of the water before it rolls?

I'd worry more about hitting a wake and having it snap-roll me over in the opposite direction.

I finally got my Predictor running proper with CMC power trim and have been getting used to cutting super tight turns and screwing around. Has anyone ever heard of flipping one of these smaller mates over while cutting a doughnut? It's pretty cool cutting it so tight basically having the boat sideways, but i always back out because it feels like it might roll. Would the prop just come out of the water before it rolls?

I actually worried more about the rear of the boat getting swamped with water. when the corner was level with the water surface. But, I backed out of the turns, too.

On a serious note, google 'boats flipping' and see what you may participate in. Velocity can play a big part in it. Do This: 1. PFD. 2. Functioning safety lanyard. 3. Remove all stuff from boat that you, a, don't want to get wet, and b, don't want to recover from the bottom of the lake, crick, creek, river, ocean, etc. When you find it on 'You Tube', study the 'Bass Boat Crash'. This is what you will accomplish sooner or later. Remember, "Davey Jones requires frequent donations of tools, parts, cameras, electronic devices, keys, clothing, glasses, motors, batteries, and even whole boats, not to mention lives". "Murphy is his accomplice". If you manage to stay within the vessel, think how your ribs are going to feel. Good luck with this. Please be careful, and have a good day.

I could turn my Eluder as hard as I could trimmed all the way down and it would hold, so good that I once lost the center windshield...wouldn't want to try it trimmed out, but it's amazing how well they hold in a corner.

Thanks Jimway. I may be a 'wannabe' in the forums but I do feel that I am seasoned enough to know that anything I bring out may get wet and not to hit another boats wake fully trimmed at WOT like in the bass boat crash. I was speaking about cutting low speed doughnuts and the feeling of being sideways, not hauling ass.

Canoes, sailboats, several motorcycles (one with a sidecar), a 64ish Dodge crewcab (I was only a small reason on this one), a beautiful 64 Impala (wish I had that one back), a Checkmate (twice), skidders, excavator, skidsteer, wheel loader, a dozer, and I wont mention bicycles, trikes, quads, go carts, skate boards, surf boards, skis or wake boards.

I almost flipped a 1969 Geneva speed boat. It was 16' with a I/o 231 v6 in it.
I had 4 people in it and we were running wide open and the steering cable broke. (Wide open was probably around 40 mph)
The boat took a hard turn, dug in and just about flipped to 90 degrees.
Everyone was tossed across the boat. Luckily no one flew out or were really injured.
That was the scariest thing to ever happen to me on the boat.

I've flipped canoes and sailboats but never a powerboat. Never flipped a car
either.

Its not that he hadn't tried to flip a Checkmate though...
simsenforcer1.jpg

Oh Drop, that flyby was perfect, 45 years of practice .... Look at that balance and grace.....this time it actually came to fruition.
Unless you interview the passengers.
But what do they know. Ballet. Sheer gas powered noisy, life threatening ballet.
Regards to Tasha

Oh Drop, that flyby was perfect, 45 years of practice .... Look at that balance and grace.....this time it actually came to fruition.
Unless you interview the passengers.
But what do they know. Ballet. Sheer gas powered noisy, life threatening ballet.
Regards to Tasha

I'd be proud of that picture too!

As far as the passengers, they should be paying for a ride like that... not complaining.

I'll come clean, Didn't roll it over or flip it backwards. But I allowed the starflite to be pitched so sideways (totally at fault) to have all 3 occupants thrown overboard. If I didn't count 2 other heads bobbing quickly after the fact, I was looking at 10 to 20 yrs in the clink. As it was I certainly would of been looking at a night in jail if we weren't all badge owners. Its no fun chasing your boat along the shoreline watching it turning circles as the current carries it downriver.

My advice is drive your boat the way it was mean to be driven :cheers:

p.s. i was also $500 smackers to buy a replacement side window too.

Last edited:
Listen, I get the fact that we haven't yet advanced to sarcasti-coms.
Shouldn't we at least have access to gloat-icoms?
Merc-thats's hilarious! Till someone gets hurt. Then it's Hi-freaking-larious.

There was a busted rib or two does that count. And as I was running down the 2 track path chasing my boat down the river, a dump truck was coming up. The driver stopped looked at my boat and asked if it was mine then said I wasn't allowed to be there! I gave him the most stupid look I could and just took off after my boat. It took about 20 minutes to run out off gas.

Reactions: sim
Viper Blow over at 115 MPH

This was My 15 ft HydroStream Called Mother's Worry and With Good Reason. My 15ft Viper was Powered By My Mercury Hi-Performance OZ T-3 Tunnel Racing Motor. This Motor Was a Direct Drive Mercury Tunnel Racing Motor with No Neutral or Reverse. My Viper Would Run a Easy 115 MPH on My Custom Built Keller Calibrated Racing Speedometer with out any Effort. It Was A Really Fun Boat for what I Built it For. I Did Blow My Viper, Mother's Worry over at 115 MPH on one of our Boat Club's last Outing's on the Detroit River in November between the two Bridges that go over to Grosse Ile. I Hit a piece of Wood that was just under the water with the Skeg of my motor which kicked the Bow up and the boat did a 360 in the Air and dropped Me Out at 115 MPH. When I Came up to the Top of the Surface with my Kill Switch attached to my Belt and Un-Hurt, There was My Viper Sitting Right side up Waiting for Me, Along With the Boat Club Members that Saw Me Out Front When I Blew Over. I Climbed back into my Boat and Hit the Bilge Pump to Pump the Little bit of water that was in my Viper out. Worried about My Boat and Motor, I started My Mercury up and Made a Pass down the River Again to make sure it was OK. Unknowing to me, but when the Bow went up, Water Rushed up the back of my Motor and through the Air Vents in the Back of the Cowl. The Water Pressure Broke the Porcelain on the Top 2 Spark Plugs Off Causing me only to be able to Run 90 MPH on 4 Cylinders. My Mother Never Found out until 3 years Latter when One of The Club Members that was Running with us that day Slipped and Said Something about me Blowing my HydroStream Over LOL. There was a Greater Power Looking Over Me That Day. I thank you for your interest. Best Wishes Always Sammie from Action Marine

Attachments

• Viper-T-3.jpg
    Viper-T-3.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 41
Canoes, sailboats, several motorcycles (one with a sidecar), a 64ish Dodge crewcab (I was only a small reason on this one), a beautiful 64 Impala (wish I had that one back), a Checkmate (twice), skidders, excavator, skidsteer, wheel loader, a dozer, and I wont mention bicycles, trikes, quads, go carts, skate boards, surf boards, skis or wake boards.

Holy s*#t jimway,
Maybe you might want to try your skills on a Segway :poke:

Back