• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Anyone interested in answering questions about an I/B Exciter

Him

I've finally found out the model name of a boat I've seen in the past that I fell in love with the styling of.

It's an early 80's Exciter with a Mercruiser 350 in it. I've been looking all over this site and it appears that the O/B Exciters are prominent, but I am having trouble finding any with an inboard engine.

The reason I want this boat is because I think it looks bad-a$$ and I already have a 2,400 lb lift that I want a fast boat for. I've called the factory and from what they know the boat should be just far enough under that to be safely kept on my lift as long as I don't have it loaded down with a ton of gear.

I can't find anything to compare it to so that I have an idea what the value of it is, and if there has been any hacking done on this boat. I would rather hold out and spend more money on a nice Exciter vs. being impulsive and jumping on this one.

Are any of you willing and able to answer my questions and help consult me to keep me from getting in over my head on something that may be a money pit?

Welcome to the site.

I read your post but didn't really understand your questions. If its about the value... The value of the boat would depend on condition. If it has a brand new motor with a brand new out drive and Gel that has that impeccable sparkle that most of us love then it would carry a pretty good value. However if its a good solid older boat that looks great and needs little things here and there I'd say $2,500 - $5,000. If you take a bunch of pictures and share them with the members on here they have very keen eyes for finding faults that maybe you don't see.

Reactions: Him
I guess money pit isn't a good analogy when talking about boats :)

I'll see if I can get some decent quality pictures from the owner. So far the ones that I've seen are really too grainy to comment on in my opinion.

I guess my biggest questions are, where are all the other inboard exciters? And are the ones with inboard engines any more desirable than outboards, or is it a matter of personal preference?

I've only been able to find 1 inboard online in the past week of searching, and it had pretty high asking prices, $14,000. It was supposedly immaculate without and sings of use.

Are you in the area of that Akron/Canton listing.

Depending on where it is, could be within 40-50 miles of me.

If you were serious about it I could give you an opinion.

Look at the surroundings of the boat. Might be an indication
of how it was taken care of.

No unfortunately not. I'm close to Cincinnati so it's close to a 4 hour trip 1 way. The guys swears it's Ligit and a solid deal but my nature is to be skeptical and he has me suspicious. And I'll tell you why. He said the boat was robbed of the life's vests, tubes, stereo and etc. I believe that could happen, but the cover and prop are supposably stolen also. It just seems like a lot to get away with for a thief.

I have some more pictures off it, quality of them is still not good, but I know for sure the vinyl needs replaced. If I have to buy a prop, cover, and new vinyl for the seats this boat is going to be competing with a lot of others near the 6K range I think. That's assuming it's mechanically sound.

He is willing to deliver it to me and take my car as trade, and I'm not opposed to it if the boats in at least fair condition, but I'm not going to be able to tell easily.

Can anyone say if these boats come up for sale very often and if this inboard 350 version will likely be for sale sometime during the upcoming winter months?

I would also be willing to pay for somone to scout it out for me if anyone is up to it. I really want one of these boats, but I don't want it to be something I will regret if I can avoid it.

If things are missing, especially they cover....expect to have to replace the floor at least. The stringers & transom possibly as well...Price isn't bad if he's close to honest

The current owner says that the stuff was stolen 2 months ago and it's been covered with a tarp since. And that the floors and everything is solid.

A new cover from checkmate is $700 and then another $1700 for the seat skins.

I have a lot to consider and need to make a desicion pretty fast.

Offer him $3,000 or so and see if he bites. I think its a bit of a buyers market in August and every day it falls in your favor. He's not going to get $4k for it in mid September.

Just an FYI, I traveled 30 hours round trip to get my dream boat with "solid transom and floors. It seemed so for the first season and then I learned it was all rotten. Boats have a habit of eating money.

Also, IO Exciters don't show up everyday so you are at the mercy of what is available.

This is the type of info I want to hear!!!

I have tried to get an idea for the market on these inboard Exciters, but I have had a hard time finding any available. So I don't know whether to think that these are somewhat rare with that combination, or if they just sell fast and there will be several opportunities to buy one throughout the winter.

The deal is, his boat for my droptop 5.0 (pun intended) even deal but he has to drive it to me.

And to let you know where I'm coming from, I've been looking at Corrects Crafts for over a year and can't pull the trigger on any I've found. Occasionally I'll come across a Mastercraft with an LS1 in it that I think it cool, but I want to be loud and fast, so I need a Checkmate!

You need to be patient, there were a reasonable amount of I/O Exciters made. if I were you I would also consider the 21 ft Enchanter too, it would not be much heavier, I think it would likely still meet the weight limit and there were a few more made so you would have a better chance of finding a good one.
I don't think you should pay more than $7000 for a really great one at this time of year and should easily find one in the 4-5000 range that is sound not needing transom and stringer work, but you have to check carefully, most should have had it done by now so if it hasn't it most likely needs it, there is the rare one show up that has been garaged and little use and near mint. They are easy to spot as the interior and gelcoat will be mint, if you find one, then $9000 is about right.

The I/O vs O/B is a preference thing but, out boards are lighter, easier to maintain, faster with the same power. But they are not as cool looking or sounding in my opinion.

I don't know the boat but, I'd look at Minor Threat's boat in the classified here, if I was looking for one.

I agree with everything Karzrus said. This isn't his first rodeo. :D. I personally like the look is the Enchanter as its a tad longer and they are more plentiful.

Minor Threats boat in a word - WOW.

And the same should be said about the info you gave me. This isn't the black and silver shiney glitter jel coat the exciter is, but it still reminds me of a Hot Wheels toy which is my favorite thing about these older boats. And I like the classic colors that won't be so loud looking on this small lake I'll be boating on. I can leave that to the stereo and exhaust.

Thank you I'm thinking your willingness to provide feed back will save me huge bucks especially in the long run.

Yea I agree, that's one nice unit in Lima!

I thought that an Exciter would be pushing the weight limit that I'm hoping to stay within, but now you guys suggesting that I could go with an Enchanter has really open my eyes to a whole lot bigger supply of boats. Especially with the inboard V-8 option.

Since I'm really enjoying the advice that I'm receiving let me throw this out there... I live on a 375 acre lake with about a mile long ski zone. I wont be doing a lot of WOT running around, just mostly taking easy cruises and driving thru no-wake zones.

I have a deck boat to pile everyone onto when I have a group, so I want a smaller boat as an adult toy. I'm getting rid of my current street toy and wanting to have one for the water instead.

Yea I agree, that's one nice unit in Lima!

I thought that an Exciter would be pushing the weight limit that I'm hoping to stay within, but now you guys suggesting that I could go with an Enchanter has really open my eyes to a whole lot bigger supply of boats. Especially with the inboard V-8 option.

Since I'm really enjoying the advice that I'm receiving let me throw this out there... I live on a 375 acre lake with about a mile long ski zone. I wont be doing a lot of WOT running around, just mostly taking easy cruises and driving thru no-wake zones.

I have a deck boat to pile everyone onto when I have a group, so I want a smaller boat as an adult toy. I'm getting rid of my current street toy and wanting to have one for the water instead.

OK, is the lake also kind of shallow or weedy? If so that would push me toward an O/B over an I/O because of the lighter stern and ability to get the leg way up and drive.

Nope the lake is plenty deep and free of weeds and debris.

Theres all sorts and makes of boats, but no one going close to 70 other than the bass boats. And the only Checkmate there is the old glittery blue Exciter that has sat covered on a lift all summer teasing me LOL.

I spent a lot of time on the Ohio River growing up and the first real speed boat I ever rode in was a Checkmate cuddy so I've always wanted one. I just always assumed they were primarily big off shore boats and too much for where I live till I saw that Exciter go by this spring.

Back