• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

bench seat rebuilding help!!

hi, i am currently rebuilding the bench seat of my 83 eluder, actually i`m done except for one question before i start coating the wood. the top half has 1 by 2" wood surrounding the center foam pad and the bottom is just a flat peice of wood. does anyone know if the 1 by 2 should be on the bottom peice as well. it looks like it from the old vinyl but i`m not sure as it might be felt by someone`s weight while sittin in the seat. hope to hear from someone soon so i can start with the resin.....thx in advance, bill

hi, i am currently rebuilding the bench seat of my 83 eluder, actually i`m done except for one question before i start coating the wood. the top half has 1 by 2" wood surrounding the center foam pad and the bottom is just a flat peice of wood. does anyone know if the 1 by 2 should be on the bottom peice as well. it looks like it from the old vinyl but i`m not sure as it might be felt by someone`s weight while sittin in the seat. hope to hear from someone soon so i can start with the resin.....thx in advance, bill

Bill, Do a test fit, put one and then the foam pad and fave a seat. Mine had some strange parts of wood in various locations. I inproved the design when I re-did mine.
Good luck to you.

GusAvatar2.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop

still aint right . does anyone have a similar bench to this one its hinged on bottom with storage under it. i think just the plywood by itself will warp even if its treated but i`m not sure.

If you have to use just the flat piece of plywood, what you can do is put 2 layers of fiberglass over the top. This will make it alot stronger.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Bill, here is a few pictures of my bases. I tryed to put all the support on the underside.
Here is the bow seat base, top side

attachment.php

GusAvatar2.jpg

Here is the same base only the underside.

attachment.php

GusAvatar2.jpg

Here is the rear seat backrest. top side
attachment.php

GusAvatar2.jpg

Same backrest only the other side.

attachment.php

GusAvatar2.jpg

hi, with the storage underneath and the gas tank there is no room to brace it underneath. the top seems like a no win either. other then being rotted and having an extra peice of pressure treated under the rotted peice the seat looked fine before i started so as long as i can keep the board from warping it should be good. to glass it do i use the same resin and just by the cloth? i just put the resin on the top half and the storage area. can you pain the resin. i was going to paint the storage areas black with some browm and tan splatter....thx again for your help....bill

Yep, you can make the flat part alot stronger by glassing (cloth) both sides. You can paint over the glass, be sure to sand it a bit with 400 grit, use a good primer and paint away.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Bill, how's the seats comming?

GusAvatar2.jpg

hi,put the glass on today 2 layers on the top side. the top half(seat back) is done with resin and the two storage areas also are done. man the glass uses some resin! think the one side will be enough? i have a good lead on the covers so i`d like to get these there soon as the guy said this is a real slow time and he`d give me a good deal. i listed my laptop on ebay to help ease the cost as i dont use it and it just sits in the closet....thx, bill

i put a post on s.a.f. too. i`m surprised no one came forth with a seat like this. the enchanters and others look to have the same setup. oh well, i think it should be good to go with the way i have it...thx for your help gus, bill

Sounds like it got it licked. Yep the glass holds a bunch of resin. Get all over the place also. Glad everthing came out ok.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Just shoot the pictures to Chris, he can fix you up.

GusAvatar2.jpg

had to reuse the old covers. guy wanted 75 each peice plus the vinyle. he guessed it would be around 300. just got hurt at work and money is getting tight. the old covers looked alright so it doesn`t really matter, plus i`d rather use the money driving it next summer and fixing a couple other things.....bill

Sorry to hear that you got hurt, I hope you get back on our feet soon. Shoot me an e-mail wiht the before and after pic's. I would love to see how it came out.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Back