• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Black Max years made?

80's ? 175 Black Max coolant capacity?

I don't seem to be able to find an approximate capacity; may not even be

commonly advertized info, of how much antifreeze these motors typically need for winterizing..

Great forum here, by the way and i certainly appreciate the time
anyone responding takes!

:thumb:

commonly advertized info, of how much antifreeze these motors typically need for winterizing..

anyone responding takes!

They don't require any anti-freeze, they self drain when stored in the down position. You probably want to change the lower unit oil in case there is any water in there.

anyone responding takes!

They don't require any anti-freeze, they self drain when stored in the down position. You probably want to change the lower unit oil in case there is any water in there.

You're saying there is no need to winterize this outboard motor by running
marine antifreeze through it before being stored "outside" for the winter?

I have read some people just remove the lower unit for the winter, then

reinstall with new oil in the spring. Acceptable? Any added benefit to this?

Thanks for your input!

You're saying there is no need to winterize this outboard motor by running
marine antifreeze through it before being stored "outside" for the winter?

I have read some people just remove the lower unit for the winter, then

reinstall with new oil in the spring. Acceptable? Any added benefit to this?

Thanks for your input!

That sounds like a lot of extra work that isn't necessary. I like the idea of draining the oil at the end of the season, that way you know if you have a water intrusion problem, and can have it taken care of over the winter, instead of finding out just when you're ready to go boating at the start of the season.

That sounds like a lot of extra work that isn't necessary. I like the idea of draining the oil at the end of the season, that way you know if you have a water intrusion problem, and can have it taken care of over the winter, instead of finding out just when you're ready to go boating at the start of the season.

I assume you meant "extra work" removing the lower unit? And to clarify; a water intrusion would be evident by the presenceof water in the oil, seen when drained? Wasn't sure if there usually IS some, but, i wouldn't have thought so!

As usual, appreciate the info!!

I assume you meant "extra work" removing the lower unit? And to clarify; a water intrusion would be evident by the presenceof water in the oil, seen when drained? Wasn't sure if there usually IS some, but, i wouldn't have thought so!

As usual, appreciate the info!!

Water should not be present in the gear case, but seals leak after they have been in service for a few years. Draining the oil from the leg and replacing with fresh gear oil is one of a couple Winterizing items for an outboard. A full tank of fuel with Stabl in it and then run through the motor for enough time to flush out the unstabilized fuel is important and so is draining any water from the fuel filter/ water trap. Some would also pull spark plugs and squirt some oil down each whole and grease all the pivot points on the tilt/ trim/ steering. Good time to service wheel bearings on the trailer and like pointed out by jumboford if the leg needs resealing, getting a new water pump installed is likely a good idea with the leg off.

Back