• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bowrail Dilemma

38 Plymouth

I’m replacing the bowrail stands on my ‘88 Starflite, because they’re starting to disintegrate. Ready to install the new (purchased) stands, but cannot remove the rail ends from the bowrail. Looks like the inner piece (coupler maybe) has swelled due to corrosion. Any suggestions on separating these pieces? Also, does anyone know which brand/style these might be? I’ve looked at Suncor, Whitecap, and SeaDog...but none of those seem to be the right match.

BTW...had this boat since it was new 32 years ago...gotta keep it going!

Thanks, Mark

Photos
https://link.shutterfly.com/ewgLmmQCu9

As a last resort, you could try heating them up. Also, I have two extras for you if need them.

EDIT: I just looked at the pictures in the link... I'm not sure what you got going on there. I can tell you with certainty that the end cap is the male and the female rail receives the end piece.

I think I lucked out for now by not having to separate the rail ends. Was able to remove the old stands...and install the new stands by sliding them over the ‘front’ end.

The next speed bump was discovering the hole spacing of the new stands is at least .25” narrower than the old ones. Will probably elongate the holes and epoxy the unused portions.

Thank you ‘Sam I am’ for the response and offer.

Mark

I did a new rail on my Starliner and had the same problem with the holes in stands being off. I did exactly what you are thinking and it worked fine. The screws went in angled out a bit and they held very tight. Good luck.

Back