• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

CHECKMATE OWNER RALLY 2016! v2.0

corey331

OK, after straightening out some confusion, we are going to give this another go. The annual Checkmate Owners Rally is in full effect again this year!! The dates will be July 15th-17th. It will be again based out of Grider Hill Marina on beautiful Lake Cumberland in Kentucky.

As far as an itinerary goes, that is still in the works but will mostly remain close to what has gone on in the past. Some rafting up, a lunch run and of course some more awesome parties on J-Dock that have become a thing of Checkmate Owners Rally legend.

Here is the info for Grider Hill marina. They have rooms, cottages and houseboats to rent. A lot of people rent a "boatel" to stay in and split with others.

http://www.griderhillmarina.com/

115 Grider Hill Boat Dock, Albany, KY 42602

(606) 387-5501

We hope to have yet another great year with an awesome turnout!!!

Any question can be directed at myself or RNGRDVE. We will update this thread as the plans evolve!!

Attachments

• 2016-RALLY1.jpg
    2016-RALLY1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a confirmation from Barry (lcboater) who talked to the factory and they said they will be attending the rally again this year!! Not sure yet what model of boat they will be bringing to check out. They also said there might be some Checkmate goodies handed out!! Glad to have them on board again this year!!

I also have it on good authority that Stagger Lee will be playing on top of the Grider Ship Store again on Saturday night!! Anybody who has attended the event in the past knows how much fun it is to listen to this great band play. You can hear them from the party on the Houseboats or stroll up and see them up close. Always adds to the event!!

JULY CAN'T GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!!

I am pretty sure we'll be attending. This time the goal is with both my parents, my wife and my daughter. It will be a more difficult organizational challenge for me this time around. Let's hope for some steady lake height prior to the rally.

Also, I would be interested to hear thoughts on the best strategy for hoteling for 4.5 people. Last time I had a room that was fine for 2 adults, but definitely not for 4. Does Grider have larger ones?

Yes they have the buildings next to the launch . Not sure what they call them but they are sort of hanging off the cliff overlooking the marina. They have kitchens in them I have been told. Or book a boatel like we had. If you keep them docked they are much more affordable.

There is also a very nice Lodge at State Dock Marina which isn't to far from Grider, maybe a 15 minute boat ride easy cruising. Might be an option for ya as well.

I am pretty sure we'll be attending. This time the goal is with both my parents, my wife and my daughter. It will be a more difficult organizational challenge for me this time around. Let's hope for some steady lake height prior to the rally.

Also, I would be interested to hear thoughts on the best strategy for hoteling for 4.5 people. Last time I had a room that was fine for 2 adults, but definitely not for 4. Does Grider have larger ones?

The Oak Hill rooms are 1 bedroom with 2 double beds, a kitchen living area with a pull out bed, plus a nice view of the marina area from your deck. Overall not a bad setup. We plan on checking in Wednesday and out Monday, that way it will give us a few week days to tour the lake prior to the weekend. Rates are 148.90 this year but that doesn't take any discounts into it. I think they gave us 5% off last year?

Last edited:
I have a call in to management at Grider to hopefully extend the rally participant discount into this year. I should have an answer by tomorrow!!

There is also a lodge luxury suite that has a king , queen , sofa bed , kitchen and fireplace . It's the room next to the office doors. Also a Sassafras suite that sleeps 6 .

Dave talked to management today and they said they will extend a 15% discount on rooms. Just mention that you are with the Checkmate Owners Rally and the discount will be applied. I know last year they extended that discount to slip rental as well but wouldn't reserve slips ahead of time, but if you are booking a room, they might go ahead and book a slip as well.

Like I said the girl was new when I made our reservations but she said if you book a room at Grider Hill you automatically get a slip. But you will be assigned the slip at check-in. They will not let you reserve one ahead of time.

Back