• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate Production Slammed

Yeah... called to order new interior last week.. they laughed. :( Said call back in the fall or put the order in and wait til fall. Boo.

Is that link working for anyone? Its going to the site but the portion where the article should be is coming up blank.

Worked for me,
With the first new Checkmate 26 Convincor now due to be finished in mid-May, the company is sold out of production slots for the single-engine, 26-foot-long sportboat through July—as well as the rest of its production slots through June. That’s according to Doug Smith, the owner of the Bucyrus, Ohio, semi-custom sportboat company.
checkmate26big.jpg
The deck for the new 26 Convincor, which is scheduled to be finished in mid-May.
“We have orders for five of the new 26s, and our fish boat and 24 also have really taken off,” Smith said in a telephone interview this morning. “We recently built some new fiberglass tooling for the 26 so people will be able custom-order interior colors to match their exterior colors.
“We’ve been so busy finishing the 43,” Smith added in reference to the company’s new 43-footer, the largest model in Checkmate history, with twin 700-hp supercharged engines from Mercury Racing. “Once we get that done, I can put some of the guys working on it to work on the other models we’re building. We’re scheduled to start testing the 43 on May 10.”
The first Checkmate 26 will be equipped with a 380-hp MerCruiser 8.2L engine, which is base power for the boat.
“We already have an order for one with a (Mercury Racing) 525 engine,” said Smith. “Obviously, we’re very excited about this model and pleased with the response to it.”

Yeah... called to order new interior last week.. they laughed. :( Said call back in the fall or put the order in and wait til fall. Boo.

When I talked with them about interiors a while ago, they told me the same thing. They'd had 20+ boat orders that week, so if I'd wanted the interior before fall, I needed to order it basically that day.

Good to see people spending money again. My cousin has been selling a lot of new fishing rigs and pontoons this spring, too.

:cheers:

They are doing great because they are the right size shop and the first kind of advertisement that works for them is word of mouth.

They are benefiting from Doug's network and rep; the fact that they are still maintaining humble roots with an open-door policy, and the dealer network is growing.

The center console is really helping, too.

About the only market they don't play in is the big CC offshore market, but they shouldn't be playing there either; it's too well established by others (for now).

The 43 is to be tested May 10!? Holy Carp. Someone get some spy-cam shots!

Is Doug turning Checkmate in Baja?

All of these different models and a 43'? Sounds more and more like Baja all the time. But if sales and production are up, he must be dong something right.

yup, you're noticing it too.

With one notable exception, all the other new models have a baha look about them.

Thank You ezstriper

Thank You ezstriper. You are Right, Doug is Doing a Great Job Keeping Checkmate's Doors Open, Making New Models, Gaining New Dealers Each Year and Increasing Checkmates Market Share, Especially Considering the Economic Condition the USA Is In. I see this as a PLUS for All Checkmate boat Owners, Whether You have a New or old Checkmate Model. Its Much Better to Still have Checkmate in Business for all Concerned than to have had Checkmate go Out of Business Like so Many Other Boat Companies did. The Resale on all Your Checkmates is Far Better with Checkmate Still Open than Closed. Sammie Action Marine

Thank You ezstriper. You are Right, Doug is Doing a Great Job Keeping Checkmate's Doors Open, Making New Models, Gaining New Dealers Each Year and Increasing Checkmates Market Share, Especially Considering the Economic Condition the USA Is In. I see this as a PLUS for All Checkmate boat Owners, Whether You have a New or old Checkmate Model. Its Much Better to Still have Checkmate in Business for all Concerned than to have had Checkmate go Out of Business Like so Many Other Boat Companies did. The Resale on all Your Checkmates is Far Better with Checkmate Still Open than Closed. Sammie Action Marin

Well said Viper............

Cropped.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg

Whenever people have asked me about my Checkmates, I'm always proud to tell them the company are still very much in business. :thumb:

Not many performance boat owners can say that.

Back