• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Foam Under the deck

Jorgeinmiami

I've replace the balsa core with foam board and its glassed in. replaced the deck and it's gassed in.
My question is should I open some hole and pour in some flotation foam under the deck?
I figure that the flotation part can't hurt and it should also suffer the boat some.

It's on my Predictor

Opinions please

There are reasons to put the foam back in the boat and reasons to leave it out.
You identified the reasons for it, but that foam tends to trap and hold water causing the boat to be heavy and loose speed, the trapped water also tends to end up under the glass over time and into the hull, since the core is replaced with foam that won’t be much of an issue, but is the new deck plywood? And are the old wood stringers still or back in the boat as that would be where the water could hurt you.

Yes deck is plywood and strings are back in new. I did, at least I think I did, do a good job in laminating the deck and stringers with layers of glass mat. I'm not too worried about losing any speed....my days of go fast crazy are long behind me. and if some water does get in there at my age I won't be around to see it.

I'm think I'm going to add the foam just in case

To help the wood repairs be more permanent, some use marine grade or pressure treated wood and also coat the wood a couple times in polyester resin that has been thinned 50% so it soaks into the wood well before curing.

But you are correct, it isn’t going to be your problem anyway

From what I’ve seen and read, the high density foam that is now available is closed cell and will not absorb water. I know I just removed 8 very water saturated heavy chunks out of my Enchanter. Steve

Back