• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Fuel pump??? 500HP

Budman

First time the ol Check made me come home but she did make it back.
Replaced fuel pump about 12 years ago.
Starts fine, idles fine, takes off full throttle and then falls flat on it's face.
No fuel in overflow line.
Checked fuel water separator and looks fine although only about 3/4 fuel when I pulled it off.
In the process of hooking up a gauge on the line.
500HP carbureted
Fuel pump?
Anyone have one that may have gone to electric instead of the sea water driven fuel pump?

Last edited:
Had a similar problem in a Baja jet boat a friend of mine used to own. Turned out there was a mesh strainer in the fuel pickup in the tank. It would flow enough gas to turn about 3k rpm, but nothing more. We finally pulled the in tank pickup out, blew it out with some compressed air and a whole bunch of trash came out that was stuck against the screen. Then we shoved a pick down there and removed the screen, put in a clear fuel filter we could see through.

ck for trash in anti-siphon valve as well, but I hate the fuel pump driven off water pump, if you have not checked in a while pull it ck the fluid, gets contaminated with gas and destroys the pump and the cam and that is $$$$$ I would switch to a electric and std water pump

I thought about the electric pump.
I replaced this pump years ago because of the gas in the oil of the sea water pump.
Would you know what size electric pump to go with?

How do you check for trash in anti siphon valve
I disconnected fuel line and can't blow into the tank but I can easily suck gas out. Haven't done that in awhile.:irked:

Amusingly enough, right after I replied to you yesterday, I went outside to mow my yard. I made it one pass down the yard, and the mower sputtered and died. Pushed it back to the garage, and it started and sputtered and died. Did this again and again. So finally I unhook the fuel hose, and some gas came out. Undaunted, I drained the fuel tank, and looked down inside. Strangely enough, there was a long piece of something partially blocking the fuel outlet on the tank. It was flowing enough that some gas was passing though, but not enough to keep the mower running. I took the tank off, flipped it upside down, and beat it a few times to get the crap out. Put it back on, mower ran great. So, the moral of the story here is just because some gas came out when you sucked on it, doesn't mean that's enough gas to power a big block boat!

put a clear inline filter on the suction side
worked fine at home
got boat to the lake and barely made it to the pier.
No more gas.
I couldn't feel any suction by pump
And there's gas in the seawater pump.
Looked into an electric holley pump and not real excited about cutting my steel lines.
Been awhile since I tried moving the actuator on the mechanical pump.
I can barely move it.

On a lighter note,
As I'm in the water trying to tow the boat against the wind to the trailer some guy comes up to help my wife.
He said you need to start it to get that big boat on the trailer
Wife told him it won't start
He again said to start it and drive it on and walked away.
Thanks for the help.:thumb:
A park ranger did stop to help and said he had a longer rope but he even said he was a few minutes late.

My mechanical pump went out a couple years back and I switched to a Holley blue electric & it works great. It definitely cured a hard starting problem after sitting for several days that I always had with the mechanical pump.

And of all things while I was launching the boat a guy next to me trying to get his boat to the trailer since it wouldn't run.
Except he was smarter than me and had his wife in the water pulling the boat on the trailer.:poke:

Is the pulley just a press fit?
The shaft is threaded in the center
Any tricks to getting the pulley off?
CFWOGtgBmk_KGrHqJ_igE1Nkl-EO1BNUw0wd_ig_1.jpg

Just guessing, but I'll bet it's pressed on & requires a puller just like the one on a gm power steering pump. Looks just like it from your picture.

Found a puller set at harbor freight.
Probably won't need it again for another 20 years.;)

I use the drive lube for the housing, merc hi performance +

Thanks guys!

I'm stumped.
This was supposed to be easy.
I will say Boat US was there within the hour and literally put me right on the trailer.
New fuel pump, new eccentric cam sea water pump, new fuel line, new fuel water separator, new belt, check valve good on tank, tank pick up line good.
Ran perfect until 2nd wot run. Died and no gas and no pressure
Bad tank of gas? Vapor lock? New fuel pump bad?
I tried cooling down all the lines.

Back