• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Gelcoat Restoration

11YearItch

A year ago I wet sanded, buffed, and polished my 1988 Spectra 171's heavily oxidized closed bow topside. It looked pretty good for a few weeks but then the oxidation reappeared. I have now found a product on the Internet called MS Gel Coat Restoration (its predecessor was called Vertglas) that I am considering using. The advertisement for this product states that unlike wax, it is a fiberglass sealer that penetrates into the gelcoat surface, filling in the microscopic holes and crevices to prevent future oxidation and to restore the shine. As proof that the shine can be restored by filling in the microscopic pits it states just apply some water to the surface and see if it becomes shiny. The result of this test on my boat was positive. The advertisement also states that the sealer provides a much harder surface than wax so it will last much longer (up to ten times longer) and won't require frequent maintenance. I would like to know has anyone reading this post ever used either Vertglas or its replacement MS Gel Coat Restoration and if so were you happy with the results?

I have yet to see anything that works for long.
I find that a badly oxidized boat will take a couple rounds of sanding and buffing before its under control and will stop turning white.

if it goes on like clear liquid, most all I've seen turns yellow and starts flaking in a couple of years and is hell to remove

I have yet to see anything that works for long.
I find that a badly oxidized boat will take a couple rounds of sanding and buffing before its under control and will stop turning white.

Keith, thanks for your input. I think you are probably right that nothing works for long. This year I did no sanding but did do a good wash/scrub down and then buffing and polishing and now after a couple of months the oxidation looks the worst it has ever looked.

if it goes on like clear liquid, most all I've seen turns yellow and starts flaking in a couple of years and is hell to remove

Thanks for your input. I have read other reviews that agree with your comments about turning yellow, flaking and being very hard to remove. I also have read user reviews that say acetone and/or the MS 60 Sealer Remover sold by the same distributor that sells the Gel Coat Restoration kits works very well in removing the sealer. It is really difficult to know what to believe so that is why I would like to hear from someone that has used the product.

I found this page informative: http://www.fiberglassics.com/RESTORATION/RESTORING-GEL-COAT
I like the pragmatic approach to not over-cutting your coating, as well as the explanation of the difference between sealers and waxes, and how some products can accelerate the oxidization and UV damaging process.

I haven't yet tried any of these products yet, but the same names keep popping up and I do have some work to do on my entire hull.

Back