• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I Bought a '78 V-Mate II

jjjrick

After a few months of keeping my eye out online, I came across a V-Mate II that fell within budget. I am not brainstorming on a plan for it, how much work I'll do before this season and what I'll let wait.

Boat is a 1978, has what's believed to be the original engine, a 78 Johnson 115 cross-flow V4. Have not had a chance to run motor yet, I'll get into that later in this post. I'm told interior is original, and I agree so far. I'm also told original paint, however I don't believe this. Transom feels very solid, it was hauled after every use for at least the last 10yrs of its life. Floor is solid in standing area, but very soft in the back behind the back seats. But I can jump on it else ware, so I'm hoping its not too bad. Carpet isn't half bad, a red AstroTurf. Has two 6 gallon tanks that sit in the back, so bow area is empty. Hull is pretty good, some drill holes just below rub rail (from cover snaps) that need to be filled in, and just a few chips along the underside; nothing major. Paint is fabulous. The red stripe is metalfalke, rest is blank white. More of an eggshell color. Windshield is pretty good too.

Getting into the work...

My rough plan now is to first get the engine running. Then I'll take it for a ride, see how it pulls a skiier. After that I should have a better idea of what I can do with it, however here's my plan as of now:

New floor, replace all that's bad with pressure treated. If that means the entire thing, then I'm going to rework the front seats, and make it a solid bench (like a pickup truck). And then I'd take the buckets and probably put them in the back corners. Seating is still up for debate, I need to take some measurements and see what will fit. My goals are: bench seat for driver and passenger, at least one rear facing seat for spotter, and then however many more I can fit within reason. With the new floor, I will completely seal off the bilge. No water in, no rot. Epoxy everything, reinforce the stringer, and fill it with foam for emergency flotation. Then I'll slope the floor down to hull in last foot before transom, to allow for a bilge pump in the hole. Ill also fill in the butt plug, as that's only another route for water to rot the wood. Depending on how well it pulls a skiier... my biggest concern is it's too light, and when I get deep into cuts I'll be pulling the boat around too much. I can noticeably pull the current boat, a 2000lb 18ft sea ray. But it's perfect the way that is, only thing I'd ask for is smaller wake, which the checkmate will provide... So if it's a decent ski boat, I'll reinforce the floor in the center rear, maybe a foot forward of where the rear deck stops. And Ill put the ski tower mount there, then run the legs back to the deck in the corners. You can take legs off easily for when people are sitting in the rear seats, again back to what and how seats will fit. And how a ski pole will fit into all this.

I also want to cut out the raised floor area in bow, lower it to floor level for added space. And leave it in a state so that in the future if I ever wanted to cut a bow rider seat, I don't have to rework the floor again. Plus sitting in the driver seat I cannot extend my legs all the way. Now if the wood is completely solid up there, and there's no real need to go cutting it out I may skip this part. I would also like to get a 15-20gal fuel tank to go in bow. Might just do two 12 gallon removable plastic tanks, so that I don't require a fire extinguisher. What's everybody's comments on the weight up there? I could also do dual tanks, say 12-15gal in bow and another 10-12 in stern. I need at least 15gal capacity, 25 would be nice to have. I haven't measured, but I am worried that only a short 6gal tank will fit in bow due to height of the 12 gallon tanks.

Now onto the motor.

It only fired a few times on its own, despite much cranking. Elec choke is working. It did start up and run on starter fluid. But the guy was a prick and "didn't want to blow it on starter fluid" complete bs, I should have been more pushy. I'm a mechanic, and I knew it brings in close to it's running-value if I part it out, so I basically bought a nice boat and got a free engine and trailer.

Once I take it for a spin and get it running, the V4 is coming off and my '94 Black Max 135 is going on. I've been told it should get close to 60mph with this engine, I'm very excited! In the long run I'll rebuild it, shave heads, etc. Question: do I need/want a jackplate? Should just I put it on while the motor is already off? My goals are not top speed, the priority is: 1 waterskiing, 2 general boating with friends (will see some waves, as I run on Lake Erie), and 3 high speed maneuvers/going fast. If it will only get me like 5mph, I'd rather skip the $250 for a jackplate, not to mention I have a stock gearcase and would rather not then be forced to buy a low water pickup. Would it help with anything but top speed, like improved speed to plane when pulling up a skiier? or cornering ability?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! Love to hear whatever tips you've got the the V-Mate II. I can't wait to get this thing on the water!!

Last edited:
checkmate4_zpsve7nyct5.jpg.html

Nice boat!

My mx-15 has a 65lb dumbbell, and a large fire extinguisher in the bow secured behind the bow eye, without it I cannot pull a skier out because I have a pretty big prop. It makes the boat drive better overall except for extreme high speed runs it slows it down a bit.

I like the rear sloped floor idea! U probably won't want to use pressure treate wood though (do a search it's not great for fiberglassing over).

A jack plate helped me TREMENDOUSLY for getting on plane

Got the motor started today! Needs a water pump, so I'm waiting on those parts before a test ride.

I need to start gathering parts for the restoration. I need some help narrowing down a jack plate. I only want a simple manual one, preferably under $150. Can somebody suggest a make/model? checkmate7_zpsclqulvyw.jpg checkmate8_zps3uzk3sgi.jpg

JJ, I purchased a new VmateII in 1978 with a 200 Johnson V6. The boat came with a built in 20 gallon aluminum tank in the back behind the snap in curtain, and the battery was located on the port side behind the rear seat back. Even with all of the weight of the motor and the rear mounted tank, I never had an issue pulling skiers, or getting on plane. The BOTM on the entrance page is my sons VmateII with a ProMax 150, same setup, 20 gallon built in tank in the back, boat launches perfectly and runs 80 MPH. Again, we have just never had an issue with weight distribution.

Good Luck, they are great boats

Chuck

:welcome:, stay away from the pressure treated, ain't good boat wood, just bought a 4x8x1/2 sheet of marine plywood from 84 lumber today, they had a stack of 1/2 and 3/4, said marine ply and cost marine ply, so we'll see. good luck, and, nice boat, get the refrigerator off the back.

Right about the PT ply wood, it will compress as it drys out and warp. Plus if I'm fiberglassing everything rot shouldn't be an issue anyway. Speaking of that, I'm tossing around the idea of doing the floor over with non-skid. Would certainly make cleaning easier, I'm just not sure that I'd get my money back when I sell it.

Went for a test ride today... wow is it under powered with the 115! It ran good for the first few minutes, topped out in low 40s with very light chop (not much wind, mostly just eddies from the current in river). Boat didn't respond to trim as much as I had imagined, felt like I simply needed more horsepower to push the bow higher. Of course a jackplate will also help here too. Unfortunately one cylinder stopped firing, so the remainder of my ride was a bit slow; only doing at most 30mph on 3 cyl. I was quite happy with how it took waves when I looped back over my own wake, no slamming at all!

I'll keep working on the motor throughout the week, then hopefully by the end of the month it will be in the garage for the new floor!

PS: I now have a 1978 Johnson 115 for sale. Brand new waterpump! Power trim works great. Starts every time!

Since my last post I have fixed up the motor quite a bit, and now it has been removed and sold! The restoration is full-on now.

I did get a chance for a couple good rides in it, I like it a lot. I'm not head over heals for the handling as I didn't quite get that "like its on rails" feeling that most describe checkmates to have. Regardless, this boat MOVES! Definitely loves to cruise at high speeds. Ran very nice at 30-35 mph with moderate trim. Wide open full trimmed out achieved around 42mph on gps. And waves are nothing at all, I was blasting right along at full speed in open lake with ~10kts breeze creating 10-14in waves. No slamming at all, and it's very stable in the chop (considering the size of the boat).

This past weekend I pulled the motor off and sold it to my uncle for his Glastron GT150. Nothing very noteworthy here, just the usual wire rat nests. Soon I'll get a chance to thoroughly inspect transom for rot.

In the next coming weeks I'm clearing space in garage and am going to tear up the floor. I think I'm going to finish the floor off with gelcoat and nonskid. No carpet. Also I'll probably cut out all the bow floor, and lowering it to common level to give more space up there, I figure there's never going to be a more convenient time.
unnamed%202_zpsle5umlvc.jpg

It’s been some time, but I’m back working on the boat!! She sat covered in a garage for the past 4 years.

I’ve since moved to FL and towed the boat down here. I laid my 135 black max down in the cockpit for low center of gravity prior to the 1500 mile road trip. Uncovered it last week and was happy to see my plywood motor mounts did not move or break, now the motor is out and on a a stand and the boat is awaiting the glass shop to have space

Attachments

• 39D15EAF-98B3-449C-80FB-D5982EC16002.jpeg
    39D15EAF-98B3-449C-80FB-D5982EC16002.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 11
  • E9F6B6A8-F87B-488A-A319-EF6C293D7947.jpeg
    E9F6B6A8-F87B-488A-A319-EF6C293D7947.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 11
Of course, I should have known, how close is that to Marriott's Beach Place Towers. Would love to see that parked at Shooter's!! What year is your 135, does it still have the oil injection on it??

Last edited:
Hahaha I stopped at shooters on my big boat on the way home from Boca Bash. My only immediate goal with the checkmate here is to run the key west poker run, and I don’t think November is too difficult to finish the build in time

So you are going to run a Key West Poker Run, is that open ocean, in a 17 foot Checkmate??? Son, you've got bigger stones then me!!

If it’s flat out, sure no problem. I saw a video last week of a 20’ checkmate out there in a Keys Island Runners run. Took my 8hp dingy out Port Everglades and in Haulover 2 weeks ago too!! To say the least… I have an addiction here
I build and service off shore go fast boats for a living (cigarette, NorTech, Skater). But I still also love the little high rev two strokes on light hulls

edit: my bad, to answer your question: my 135 is a 1993 or 4. It’s the first generation when they did away with the clamshell coweling. But it still has those old square lines. And yes I removed the oil injection and run premix. It’s not-fast without mixed-gas!!! And not super close to Marriott’s beach towers. Those are on the barrier island, my checkmate is way up the river, close to the Davie bridge

Attachments

• 5CF8E928-116D-4033-94C2-D06BFBC7BACA.jpeg
    5CF8E928-116D-4033-94C2-D06BFBC7BACA.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 7
  • FB1253A7-E0BE-47D1-BF89-CE9399D75BDA.jpeg
    FB1253A7-E0BE-47D1-BF89-CE9399D75BDA.jpeg
    730.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My original 135 was on a 18 foot Sea Ray bowrider and a 5cent piece of tigon tubing broke and locked the motor up.
No way!! Mine was on a ‘94 sea ray 180 signature. Boat was shot after 20 years of tow sports but the black max still runs great at 800hr. 90-95 psi each hole. All we ever did was regular service

Back