• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Louisiana Senator

btrbill

Well, for those that have followed my quest in the New Members forum, welcome. For anyone else, helpful hints and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome!

Here are a few pictures of the Senator after we got it loaded on the trailer, towed it home, and cleaned it a LITTLE bit! Tomorrow, I will pull the carpet out, wash it down with water and bleach to kill any organisms that might have survived from the canal she was sitting in, and then start a plan of attack. Yes, I have decided to keep it... for now. The floors are VERY solid, and the transom appears to be as well. Anything sure fire to look for to see if any of it is bad? I tapped it with a hammer and it bounced back real solid, so...

Also, the motor says on top, "Mercruiser 260hp/V8" Is that really a 454 or is lt more likely a 350? I am going to put a wrench to it tomorrow to see if it turns and then play it by ear.

Even with the plug in it, water got in over the last two weeks, but not as much as was in it. That leads me to believe it may be leaking around the Gimble housing. Any other suggestions on where to look?

For other Senator owners, a few questions...
How much does the boat usually weigh?
What kind of speeds do you normally see and with what engine?
What are the exact demensions? (I can't see the 1988 brochure real clearly...)

Anyway, I probably can't do as good a job as Brian ?(I believe that is is name) did in updating "Wasted Income", but I will try. No decision here yet on if we will repaint or not...

Let the fun begin...

Attachments

• Boat at Home 1.jpg
    Boat at Home 1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Boat at Home 2.jpg
    Boat at Home 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Boat at Home 3.jpg
    Boat at Home 3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Its probably a 350 its no 454. The boot is probably ripped or rotten at the gimble. The whole drive really needs to come off after sinkage.

It looks better on the trailer than in the drink
Flag.gif

Well, it has been a busy week. Nothing really photo worthy, so there are none attached.

Got all the carpet removed and left it out to dry so I can use it as a pattern. Got it all in a bag now...

Cleaned the inside out real good and used a gallon of bleach to sterilize everything that I could. Used some degreaser to clean as much as the bilge as I can, and will do more once the engine is pulled. Stripped all the seat covers and interior vinyl off the wood supports so I can make new ones. I called Mike at Checkmate to inquire on the price for new seat covers and also visited a local guy for prices. Haven't decided who to use yet, but I am leaning toward Checkmate.

I have decided to just buff out the original colors for now. While I would love to paint it, and have a scheme picked out, I will wait a bit and do other things first with my limited time and budget.

I took the Senator to several places to get estimates on replacing or rebuilding the engine, and just wasn't real happy with anyone in the local area I talked to. So, I have enlisted my Dad and some friends and we will do most of it ourselves.

I found a reman motor I liked, from a place I liked, but for some reason the owner never returned my calls last Friday to order it. I guess in a way it was fate, as today a friend called and told me about a marine motor (5.7l)for sale locally for $500, complete (without starter). Dad went and gave it the once over, and it now sits in his garage waiting for this weekend, when we will pull the swamp engine, and go over the "new" one with a fine tooth comb, then possibly install it and get it running. I will get a local shop to align it first, becasue I don't have access to the tool.

This week, I will order the interior, the new guages and radio, and buy a couple of marine batteries, along with a battery switch like we had in the fire trucks.

While I would like to think I could have it ready for the end of August, that may be pushing it a bit, and I want to take my time and get it all right.

For you other Senator owners, I need a few measurements and a few pics if you can help me out. Drop me a PM, or better yet an email at btrbill@yahoo.com if you are willing to help me out.

BTW, Dale, my buddy who gave me the boat, said he would regularly do 70 mph in this boat with a 23 prop. Is that a reachable speed with this heavy boat?

Lastly, I am considering adding through-transom exhaust, but it appears I would either have to relocate the steering (is this possible) or have the pipes even with the top of the outdrive. Ideas, comments, or suggestions??

Thanks, ya'll!
Bill

Glad to see that you're very serious about making this thing nice again! :thumb:
Before you get too much back in there, I'd look VERY carefully at the floor, stringers, and core- there's a good chance that some or all will need to be replaced after being exposed directly to water that long.
GOOD LUCK! I look forward to following this project. :cheers:

i have almost the same boat. 89 senator. 350 chevy 260 or 270 hp. cant remember. i get it up to 59 mph on a gps turning about 5000-5200 rpm. 23 pitch prop. you can do thru hull exhaust with out modifing the steering. email me ill send some pics/bad advice. lol. robwkamm@aol.com

if you need some pics and stuff just let me know, ill send 'em to ya!!

:bigthumb:

do you remember how much the back bottom seat cover was??
im sure its not the same thing or same price .. just a ballpark

"do you remember how much the back bottom seat cover was??"

Mr. Buss, the price for the replacement vinyl from Checkmate was $950, but that was for everything. Since I am not repainting, I am going to order it from Checkmate.

I would take any pictures of the interior you want to send, including the "playpen." I ahve the grab rails for the bow, but none of the other hardware. Pics of those would be great.

Lastly, pics of area under the rear bench seat.

Thanks!!
Bill

The outdrive needs to come off before the new engine is put in. Your best bet is to get your upholstery from Checkmate.

It looks a lot better out of the water. If the wood is good and the finish buffs out, you might do alright!! Looking forward to see how it turns out. :thumb:

The outdrive needs to come off before the new engine is put in. Your best bet is to get your upholstery from Checkmate.

Outdrive pulled this afternoon. It looked real good on the inside! All oil and no water!!

Now I just have to find the tool to remove the threaded pins on the gimbal housing so I can replace the bellows.

I did find one item of concern, however... when I unscrewed the partition walls from the rear floor, and stepped on the floor, water seeped up from the screw holes. I am assuming that there is foam under that area of the floor, so after I pull the engine this weekend I will cut a little floor out and see how bad it is. Anyone got any idea how far forward the foam goes under the floor? The floors are very solid around there, but I will cut them out if I need to to replace the foam.

Bill

hello, i just emailed you.you got 10 pics or so.if you need more just hit me up. or any questions on the thru hulls.

Outdrive pulled this afternoon. It looked real good on the inside! All oil and no water!!

Now I just have to find the tool to remove the threaded pins on the gimbal housing so I can replace the bellows.

I did find one item of concern, however... when I unscrewed the partition walls from the rear floor, and stepped on the floor, water seeped up from the screw holes. I am assuming that there is foam under that area of the floor, so after I pull the engine this weekend I will cut a little floor out and see how bad it is. Anyone got any idea how far forward the foam goes under the floor? The floors are very solid around there, but I will cut them out if I need to to replace the foam.

Bill

That's exactly what most of us were afraid of- you may as well assume that it's soaked all the way up to in front of the cockpit- it most likely is. Hopefully you can get the wet foam out of there before it ruins the core and stringers!!!

Try drying it out with some haloged work lamps. Lay them along the floor. If the wood wasn't wet for very long it might be ok.

Try drying it out with some haloged work lamps. Lay them along the floor. If the wood wasn't wet for very long it might be ok.
If you get it dried out you can inject resign through a few small holes drilled thru floor skin. But I wouldn't do that if the damage is extensive or structural.

Belated update

Been a while since I posted so I figured I would let you know what has occured...

We completely removed the outdrive and transom assembly, mostly to check the transom area around the outdrive, but also to clean up and touch up the finish. Couldn't figure out how to remove the shift cable with a special tool, so took it all out. I still need to get it apart though to change the bellows. In the meantime, we got the bilge area completely cleaned and detailed. I drilled a hole in the deck area under the battery and it looked good. The foam on top was dry, but brittle. I decided to leave it be for now and patched the hole. Then I installed a dual battery switch, added another battery tray, cleaned up the trim pump and the wiring, installed a new bilge blower and pump, and got it all hooked up.

Next up, I replaced the three fuel hoses and filler attachment. Got it put back in and secured.

I have pressure washed the entire inside to prepare for new carpet, and used the Aqua Buff 1000 and 2000 on the gelcoat. Got to get a little more polish on it, then I will begin reassemling the chrome handrails and adding all the hardware.

Waiting on some parts to begin the re-assembly of the outdrive and getting it installed... then I have to get the motor in. I have a few issues with changing things from the old motor to the new one, but they are not that big a deal... hopefully.

Anyway, my Mom decided to buy an industrial sewing machine and has been playing with some vinyl, so we are going to try to recover the seats ourselves. She makes award winning quilts, and has serious sewing skills, so I am hopeful this will turn out good.

I redid most of the dash wiring harness to set it up for the new guages, and have to get them installed as well. Then the testing of everything begins...

Anyway, just wanted to update you guys. Thanks to those that sent me the pics... they have been most helpful!!

Happy Boating!
Bill

Well, the radio works...

Spent another weekend working on the Senator. Got all the electrical hooked up and tested. Everythimg works as it is supposed to! I bought and installed a 6-gang switch panel and a new stereo, so I had to make some modifications to the dash area to make it all fit. But fit it does! Also installed a new horn on the port side. as well as all new lighting.

Got the outdrive assembly mostly back on, as far back as the bell housing. Man, working those F&$*&^@)&ing bellows back on is a pain! Hopefully that will never have to be done again! We also changed the shift cable since I broke the old one moving it around. That little shift cable tool is great for re-installing, but not for removal!! I am sure there is a trick, but we ended up having to drill it out after rounding off the brass screw with the tool.

We changed all the U-joints, rebuilt the water pump, and cleaned up the drive unit pretty good, so next weekend we hope to install it. Also, we changed the gimble bearing and seal and the trim limit and sender sensors.

This Friday, our goal is to finish outfitting the engine assembly and dropping it back into the boat. Then I need to get the gimble bearing and motor aligned so we can reinstall the drive unit. I will either buy the alignment tool or bring it to someone to align for me. I will call around to see how much it will cost versus buying the tool for $80.

After that, I think we will be ready to at least start it up to see how it runs. I haven't got the carpet or interior yet because I have been spending my money on getting everything else completed first. I guess it is about that time to get busy on it.

The good thing is down here we can boat year round, so I can do my "sea trials" pretty much anytime.

I do have a few pics on my cell phone, so I will try to get them uploaded tonight. Anybody going to be in the Baton Rouge area Friday that is knowledgable on this stuff, let me know!!!!:drool:

One more question for youse guys? Anyone ever installed docking lights to the bow as a retrofit? Kinda thinking about doing this...

Until next time...
Bill

Back to work...

Well, after a few setbacks money-wise, I am finally able to do some more work on the boat. Not a lot has been done over the winter, but over the last week several things were accomplished...

First, After going back and forth many times, I finally ordered the interior from Mike at Checkmate. Due to the new boats being built, they gave me an estimate of 6 weeks before they are ready. I am going back with the original colors. Also, from Checkmate, I ordered some parts for the sundeck, and ski locker area.

I ordered and got the fuel pump in and will install it next weekend.

In order to save some limited funds to finish the boat, I decided to only get the seat covers from Checkmate, so I also purchased all new wood to build the seat backs, as well as resin to coat them in, and new stainless screws and staples. Next up is to order the carpet. I have looked at several sites on-line, including one that was recommended here a few weeks ago. Seems like alot, but I need 25 yards at 6 feet wide. That what the old carpet measures...

Lastly, I need to purchase an alternator. Another problem... The original engine from 1987 has a different engine harness than the new motor has. The new motor originally must have had a serpintine belt, but half of the bracket on the front was gone, so we converted it to v-belts, all 3 of them. Now I am having a problem determining which alternator to get. The wiring harness has think Orange and thick Black wires to the alternator (they should attach to the posts) but it also has smaller purple and smaller red wires also. They are not in a conector, but loose. (See the picture below) Any idea which direction to go? It is a GM engine, but I do not know the year. The block serial number is 14093638 which shows an 86-94.

Anyway, we are getting closer!

Bill

hey bill glad to see you workn on the senator. i havent herd if you looked at the foot i sold you. was it ok. thats a sweet boat and if you get ready to sell i would love to snatch that thing up. weather is perfect for boat building. keep up the good work.... thankss charles

Back